Anyone else suddenly decluttering because it's fall? Also, I'm reading "It's All Too Much" and finding it helpful. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fall just kicks me into gear. Yesterday I did a major push sorting out cold-weather clothes with the kids - hoping to finish up today, as our entire rec room is now covered with bags (to donate) and bins (to put back in storage) and piles (to try on).

I was away or working extra all of August, and yesterday I was finally able to start tidying, decluttering, vacuuming, etc after a month of letting things slide.

I am reading "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh and got something out of it that I am itching - and starting - to apply to my stuff. I am one who always gets stalled by the "value" of an item - what I spent, how sentimental it is, how long I have had it, my good intentions for using it, whether I might need it someday. Walsh says not to look at the stuff, but to look your vision of what you want your life to look like. You envision your life, and your home as a reflection of your life, and then all you have to do is assess whether the item fits that vision - or not. (Like, this is a round hole - is this stuff a round peg or a square peg? Keep the round pegs, throw out the square pegs.)

He also pushes ways to make it easy to get rid of stuff. (He says "Feed the hungry trash!") I struggle with not wanting to throw out potentially useful things, and that sometimes stalls me, too. But I get that his point is not to spend much energy on how you're going to dispose of things, just do it. I think I can adapt that to a "donate anything useful" framework.

And actually the main thing in his book is to look at how you use your rooms and make them fit your uses, which I feel I do well already, so I kind of skimmed that part, but that is probably what most people get out of the book, LOL.

So I guess I'm recommending this for anyone who needs a new perspective.

And wondering if others get kick-started by the seasons like I do! (We are having a big party here on the 25th, which is another incentive to get things clean...if I do it now and can keep up with it over the holidays, I won't have to do holiday decluttering...maybe...

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#2 of 6 Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing I got out of the book (loosely) is that there are two kinds of clutter, "lazy clutter" (like papers that haven't made it into the recycling bin, dirty laundry, etc) and "stored treasures" (you can guess what that is)...and they need two different approaches. So one plan would be to get rid of all the lazy clutter first and then tackle the other. Though I would add that there are three kinds of clutter, one in between those two..."bric-a-brac" the dust-collecting items in your living space that you don't love/use. (I think of stored treasures as the stuff in the attic or garage).

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 AM

Yes I do find that a new season is very motivating, especially as Spring has just arrived here, I feel so keen to dust out the metaphorical cobwebs, and get the place looking clear, ready for the sun to shine in!

I have not read that book, it sounds like it has some good points. I must admit though that I find the idea of feeding the hungry trash rather alarming, lol.....as I am always feeling bad about how much goes into landfill.

I agree with you that it is better to "donate anything useful"....unless one is living in either complete chaos or squalor, in which case one may grant themselves amnesty....then it is preferable to make some attempt to give things to someone who can use them. It's all about balance. If you worry too much about always giving to the perfect recipient, it can end up being a bit of an obstacle to progress.

SAHM to three
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i might have to check out that book... i lived for the show "clean sweep"

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Me!

I tackled the laundry room and the kitchen (although they need to be fine tuned more; I like to do a room, take a break, and then do it again).

Once I get my hiney off this sofa, I a going into the girl's room which DH re-arranged for me yesterday. Now it needs organizing and de-cluttering. Too many toys and clothes in there!

I a extra motivated because we have a small house and are expecting another baby. I want this house decluttered and spotless by February 1.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
meee! But mostly because our neighborhood has a garage sale every sept. It's next weekend, so I gotta get my butt in gear!!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page