Donating off season items? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do with your decluttered off season items? Right now, I'm decluttering some summer stuff, like kids clothes, shoes, and maternity clothes. It seems like it would just take up space for a thrift store, but I don't want it in my house anymore.
I suppose I could have a storage tote for stuff to store until the right season, and donate it then. But that sort of defeats the purpose, kwim?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM

The thrift stores around here sell all-season clothes as far as I can tell. They have a section of 'sweaters' that's still there in the middle of summer, for ex. So I would just donate it now. Maybe pick a larger store to donate to, because they might have more space to store or display off-season stuff.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Our local thrift store rotates things out - some off-season, but they also keep the seasonal stuff in boxes in their own backroom to pull out at the right time. Let THEM deal with the seasons, YOU don't have to worry about it!

Tjej
#4 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

awesome! I'm happy to hear that
I didn't want my donation to be a burden, but I really want this stuff out of my house!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM

I've had the same thoughts as you - feel guilty for donating the wrong season stuff. But I'm just not that organized - I wait and wait and then do a massive purge every 2-3 years. I should just donate every season and be done with it.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 8 Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
Our local thrift store rotates things out - some off-season, but they also keep the seasonal stuff in boxes in their own backroom to pull out at the right time. Let THEM deal with the seasons, YOU don't have to worry about it!

Tjej
Oh I needed to hear this too! I am currently weeding out some winter clothes to donate..(beginning of spring here)..and wondered if they will just be thrown away if I give them at this time of year.

SAHM to three
#7 of 8 Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM

The smaller thrift stores here can't take off season stuff, but the larger ones (Salvation Army and Goodwill) will take them.
#8 of 8 Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM

same here... the independent shops often wont take out of season goods unless they're pretty fabulous (the "mama thrift" shop actually mentions this on their donation guidelines list, something about only accepting out of season items that "make financial sense to store") but the larger thrift stores like Salvation Army or St Vincent de Paul's or Savers are happy to take anything at any time... they can store some or they can ship seasonal outfits to branches that can use them. For example, "summer clothing" in northern NY might be fine "fall or even winter clothing" in southern FL.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page