Back of chair hanging storage bag or basket? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids LOVE to keep things on their kitchen chairs. Little toys they're currently playing with, trading cards, a book. This is a habit I'm having a hard time changing!

So I'd like to find or make some kind of storage bag or basket that hangs on the back of our wooden kitchen chairs. I want it to look attractive.

The only thing I can find online is for schools, something like this:

http://www.seatsack.com/practicalcla...eseatsack.aspx

But that's too school-y and not the look I'm going for!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 PM

I guess you've got really sturdy chairs, or the weight of the toys won't destabilize the chair, so assuming that's the case...

Would your kids enjoy helping to sew some chair-hanging bags? It seems like T shirts would lend themselves really well to this, and you could get some cheap from a thrift store. (Cut off the arms, add on a pocket, insert over chair.) Also, the pictures made me think of dual use kitchen aprons. Not sure how that would work, but if your kids use kitchen aprons infrequently, the aprons could have large pockets and somehow attach to the chairs in between cooking projects. Or, in my case, I'd have a justification to "save" the many aprons I love but never use. Upside down canvas grocery bags, with added pocket?

It's a neat idea - I can imagine using a trick like this for placemats and cloth napkins between washings.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#3 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess you've got really sturdy chairs, or the weight of the toys won't destabilize the chair, so assuming that's the case...
Yes, the chairs are sturdy, and the amount of toys I'm talking about is minimal. BUT the kids could get carried away and overload their baskets/bags, so I'd have to be careful about that. Good point!

I like your idea of canvas bags. I have a lot, and may be able to re-purpose them attractively and simply. (I'm not terribly crafty, so this might be harder than I'm imagining!)

I tried hanging a bag over the edges of the chair, just to see how it would sort of look. Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../House/018.jpg

I know the bag is all wrinkly, and I want it to lie flat rather than sticking out like that, and it would be secured onto the chair with snaps or velcro or something so it wouldn't slip off. But that's the general idea. (I actually think the look of plain canvas would be good for our kitchen.)

#4 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
What if you cut the straps and tied them onto the top of the chair (like a chair pad). That way the bag could hang properly (not sideways) and you could tie it off at whatever height your child needs. Also you could personalize the canvas.
#5 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
could you use a pillow case which you would put inside out ?

when I saw the first picture, It's the first idea that came to mind since the small inside flap that's normally inside could overhang outside to the front of the chair, you would just need to add a few ribbons (or shoe laces ?) to secure it... & you could make it half as deep with just one row of straight stitches right in the middle, horizontally, if it turns out too deep for little hands to reach to the the bottom of the bag ....
#6 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What if you cut the straps and tied them onto the top of the chair (like a chair pad). That way the bag could hang properly (not sideways) and you could tie it off at whatever height your child needs. Also you could personalize the canvas.
Okay, duh on me, that was so simple and made such a huge difference! I can't believe i didn't think of it. Thanks for the idea. =)

Here's the updated version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../House/023.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
LOL ... Perfect!
#8 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

How funny! I was looking through the Pottery Barn Kids catalogue today and saw this:
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...stmas-tabletop

Cute, though I'll stick with my canvas bags.

#9 of 9 Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
My kids LOVE to keep things on their kitchen chairs. Little toys they're currently playing with, trading cards, a book. This is a habit I'm having a hard time changing!

So I'd like to find or make some kind of storage bag or basket that hangs on the back of our wooden kitchen chairs. I want it to look attractive.

The only thing I can find online is for schools, something like this:

http://www.seatsack.com/practicalcla...eseatsack.aspx

But that's too school-y and not the look I'm going for!

Any ideas or suggestions?
I like that idea. I'd make my own out of fabric I like. The look of those isn't quite my style either.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page