Is there something in your house you ALWAYS forget to clean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And how do you try to remember?

Mine is the inside of the microwave. I cannot remember to clean that darn thing. EVER. I have a complete mental block when it comes to that.

And I can't figure out a way to start remembering.

What do you always forget?
#2 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Wood trim and windowsills.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

ChristyMarie I used to forget also, but have been doing Motivated Moms...clean the microwave is a weekly task, so it helps me to remember.

I tend to forget about the fridge....but that is also an MM task that comes up a lot, so that is helping...

SAHM to three
#4 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Ceiling fans! We have them in this rental in each of the 3 bdrms, which have high ceilings, so I always forget them, oops!
#5 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Top of the door sills!
#6 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
Ceiling fans! We have them in this rental in each of the 3 bdrms, which have high ceilings, so I always forget them, oops!
I ALWAYS forget to clean the ceiling fans...it isn't until company comes over, and I look up that I realize I have forgotten them.

I also usually forget windowsills, sometimes the microwave...

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#7 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM

The frame around the TV screen. Frustrates me to see fingerprints on it, but I always forget to clean it. :/
#8 of 32 Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

the outside of cabinets and tops of drawers in the kitchen. My DH and kids are always spilling stuff on them and they go weeks before I remember to clean them
Also, the window in the kitchen. You have to climb on the counter to get to it so I always seem to "forget" conveniently to clean it and when I remember I just figure Ill get it next time..
One last one, the outside of appliances.

Heres a tip for the microwave, take a bowl of plain water and microwave it for around 3 minutes, wait for a minute or two after and then wipe down the inside. Works like a charm to get that built up yuckiness out. Takes me like 2 minutes a week to keep my microwave clean.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Heres a tip for the microwave, take a bowl of plain water and microwave it for around 3 minutes, wait for a minute or two after and then wipe down the inside. Works like a charm to get that built up yuckiness out. Takes me like 2 minutes a week to keep my microwave clean.
Add some bicarb of soda to the water and you get great results:

"Put 2 tablespoons of bicarb in water in a microwave safe container or bowl. Turn the microwave on high for 3 minutes, remove the bowl and wipe the microwave."

from.. http://hubpages.com/hub/Bicarbonate-of-soda

SAHM to three
#10 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Ceiling fans here too. They are always on, so I never remember to clean them.... until DH comments that dust balls are flying off them !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#11 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 AM

Microwave, ceiling fan, baseboards, heaters, insides of light fixtures (glass domes etc) where bugs collect in the summer time. Ew. Stairs: the rise or whatever you call it. Cobwebs in the highest part of the stairway ceiling. Not that I forget, they just seem to appear overnight. Many at once.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#12 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM

light switches & tops of door frames.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#13 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVale View Post
Top of the door sills!
Oh, goodness, YES! Those and the wood blinds. They need to be swiffered or wiped down big time. We have them all of our rooms except for the LR and DR.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#14 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Everything.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#15 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Everything.
Lol! Me too lately, so worn out after the first layer of toy, dish, and laundry roundup. Mine real problem is the floor in DS1's room (we keep his door closed to keep little brother out of his toys), and apparently all the walls because lately I've been finding dust and cobwebs stuck to them sometimes. Uhm then there's under the fridge because I simply can't move it.
#16 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Oh, gee - after seeing everyone's lists, I am realizing I am forgetting plenty of things
#17 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I realised what it is that I do forget...the 3rd flight of stairs that leads down to the basement, because nobody sees it except family usually, unless a tradesman is expected, so I tend to ignore vacuuming those stairs.

SAHM to three
#18 of 32 Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM

same as everyone else... baseboards, ceiling fans, tops of doors/windows, window sills

also, dusting in general. I actually don't have much to dust after the above mentioned and I HATE dusting so I always save it for last.. and then forget that it is last on the list haha. My curtains could probably stand a run through the washing machine. I shockingly cleaned my shower curtain recently... normally I always forget that. I want to get a hemp liner instead of a plastic one though so I need to get into the habit!

I also forget to mop more than just the kitchen/entry/living room area. I have all hard flooring but I never get the mop past the front of the house down the hallway to the bedrooms haha
#19 of 32 Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Everything.
Yep. Not forget so much as I just don't have the energy after endlessly picking up after the kids. I'm having trouble just keeping up with dishes, laundry & the floors without trying to deal with everything else.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#20 of 32 Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Light switches, door handles, and doors where little hands have left prints and smears. I don't always forget baseboards, but I don't remember to do them often. When I do remember, though, I feel like my house is SO clean

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#21 of 32 Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM

There's not much I actually forget to clean...I just don't do them.

The one thing I actually, honestly always forget to wipe down that annoys me is the computer screen. It's one of those touch screens and everytime I sit down I remind myself, "get a wipe and clean the fingerprints off". Then I get up and don't think about it again till I sit down...and it repeats.

Center
#22 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 PM

The lip of the table. I clean the top surface but forget to clean the edge until I realize something sticky got on there.

Also as mentioned already: microwave, stairs and shower curtain/liner

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#23 of 32 Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM

Wow. Most of the things people are mentioning are things I wouldn't even consider cleaning, like ceiling fans!!

The upstairs floors always seem to get left for last even though I have a cleaning schedule which lists them. I really have to do them.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#24 of 32 Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 PM

The intake vent for the central heat/air. There is one in the ceiling at the top of the stairs on the second floor. It is currently dusty looking. I figure I should try to remember to hit it once before the heat gets turned on.
#25 of 32 Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 PM

The backs of the kitchen chairs. They're open backs with slats like this: III. Food and drink drippings fall between the slats and it's really gross, but I never remember to wipe them down when cleaning up from meals.

My fireplace mantles.

The dust bunnies behind doors that never really get closed, like the hallway door, the bedroom door, etc.

There's also a coffee splash on the wall in the living room where I dropped a cup of coffee last month that I just never get around to wiping off...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#26 of 32 Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
There's also a coffee splash on the wall in the living room where I dropped a cup of coffee last month that I just never get around to wiping off...
Oh my gosh, this reminds me that I have something spilled on the wall right next to my front door. I never think to clean it. I see it, think, "oh yeah, I should wipe that off" then go about my day and never get back to it.
#27 of 32 Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 PM

I have been thinking about this for awhile and have just come up with an answer. The one thing I always forget to clean is the oven. I clean the stove top every day and I wipe down the front of the oven probably once a week or so. When we had a typical range hood over the stove, I even cleaned that several times a year. Inside the actual oven? Only once or twice in the nine years we had our last one (here when we moved in); and I don't think I've cleaned the inside of the new one at all and we've had it since June 2009.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#28 of 32 Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Oh my gosh, this reminds me that I have something spilled on the wall right next to my front door. I never think to clean it. I see it, think, "oh yeah, I should wipe that off" then go about my day and never get back to it.
I think I am a bit OCD about things like that...if there is a splash or spill anywhere that is big enough that I can see, I can't relax! My eyes just keep turning to it, so I have to run and get a cloth to wipe it asap!

But if it's out of sight, it's often out of mind for me....after reading this I realised I never clean the top of doors, because being a shortie I just don't see them...

SAHM to three
#29 of 32 Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Mini blinds. I hate cleaning them though, so I guess its a little bit on purpose. The biggest thing I forget to clean though is the vacuum cleaner. Then the bag explodes or the brush gets enough hair in it to stop turning. Its also the dustiest object in the house.

Anyone else have to clean their shampoo bottles? Or are mine the only ones that collect dust? How do they do that in the shower?
#30 of 32 Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM

The top of the fridge and microwave are always missed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page