Donate or trash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you determine if you should donate or toss an item (particularly clothes)? Do you have a mental checklist of things that make an item trashworthy? What are your criteria?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some of the clothing that's not quite good enough to donate to a charity I donate to a for-profit company (can't remember the name, it starts with USAA, with an apostrophe in there somewhere) that has clothing donation bins around the city. If anybody can find a use for it, they can. I know a lot of used clothing (even clothing donated to charities) gets baled up and shipped overseas, so if it's still basically wearable, I'll donate it.
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If it has holes in it or really bad stains I toss I out, otherwise I donate it.

I toss underwear. Socks get used around here till they are falling apart, then they are trashed. I would donate bras that are not torn or highly stained.

As far as stuff from around the house, if its still usable I donate. If it is broken, or missing important pieces, I trash it.
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM

I follow basically the same criteria as Jodie. If I'm on the fence, I usually donate it & let them decide if it's usable (only with small items though -- I would never donate a large piece of furniture or something unless I was sure it would be usable/sellable, because it would cost THEM money to throw it away if I just left it there).

Most of the 'throw away' pile I can get rid of by putting out on the curb and/or on freecycle/craiglist 'free' section -- you'd be amazed at the trash people WANT. Unusable clothes I cut into rags or compost, though I would love to be more creative with redesigning them into new articles of clothing (but I don't have the time to sew!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 PM

I divide things into ..

good enough to sell:

only the designer brands, otherwise too much effort listing and not much chance they will sell.

good enough to donate to cancer ward at childrens hospital:

DVDs and books and toys either new or in new condition

good enough to donate to charity such as Smith Family or St Vincent de Paul:
clothes that are wearable, toys that look used but are not broken or dirty, books that look read, collectables that may have a chip but still nice enough that someone may want it, miscellaneous household stuff that still works/not broken.

I donate old bras to the Uplift charity which are sent overseas to help women in countries who can't afford bras..as long as they are still good enough condition to be reused.

Toss:
clothes with holes or noticeable stains, elastic that has worn out
underwear
plates that are cracked or badly chipped
toys that are not complete

SAHM to three
#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I follow basically the same criteria as Jodie. If I'm on the fence, I usually donate it & let them decide if it's usable (only with small items though -- I would never donate a large piece of furniture or something unless I was sure it would be usable/sellable, because it would cost THEM money to throw it away if I just left it there).

Most of the 'throw away' pile I can get rid of by putting out on the curb and/or on freecycle/craiglist 'free' section -- you'd be amazed at the trash people WANT. Unusable clothes I cut into rags or compost, though I would love to be more creative with redesigning them into new articles of clothing (but I don't have the time to sew!)
Suggestions for old t-shirts without sewing:
- cut them into family cloth (see thread here on MDC)
- " washable baby wipes or diaper doublers
- " "unpaper" towels that you throw away after use (also handy in a workshop or garage)
- patterned pieces can be used as giftwrap

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 AM

I donate everything even if it has holes.

I heard that many charity agencies recycle unwearable clothes by turning them into industrial cleaning pads (they get munched up and formed into felt like pads) which they sell.

Even though I'm not sure which ones do it (I had heard about this in Australia) I still donate everything.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page