Im trying to overcome this, I have a problem with wearing clothes until we don't have anymore (1-2 weeks depending) and then having to run around all night doing laundry and beign crabby all day because Im tired. Last few months have gone a lot smoother, this is what Ive been doing differently.
I have 2 children by the way, 21 months and 3 1/2 and a husband whos military so he has work uniforms, workout clothes and regular clothes to wear.
1) I wash all clothes on one day. Usually Monday I will wash between 4-6 loads of clothing and 1-2 loads of towels. If its not a full load (like whites) it still gets washed because otherwise we will run out midweek and then it will throw off my household cleaning schedule and Im one of those people if I don't stick to a schedule the stuff just doesn't get done. Another day I will do any linens that need to be done, usually I have 2 load of linens (I alternate washing our bedding, the girls bedding and the bathroom linens other than towels.. I find that the bedding just doesnt' get dirty enough to warrent being washed every week, even every 3rd week it still smells and looks clean when its washed). When DH gets back from training he dumps all his clothes and uniforms into a basket straight from his luggage, even if he insists part of it is clean. Its easier to rewash things than trying to figure out what is clean and what isn't. They get washed the day after he gets back or if he gets back on a Friday/Saturday he will do it while hes off.
2) There is a basket in each bedroom and a basket in each bathroom. I don't care if it gets sorted before it goes into the basket, it just has to make it in. Drives me batty to have clothes laying around. I sort when I go to wash. Its easier than trying to get things sorted when they are put in the basket, that just never works with my family.
3) I fold straight from the dryer. If it goes into the basket unfolded it will never get folded. Honestly, Im not joking. Ive rewashed so many clothing from just throwing it in a basket and then forgetting its clean until it comes out of the wash and I realize "hey, didn't I just wash this??". It gets folded and put on the dryer or counter across from the dryer in room piles. Kitchen towels, sponges and rugs are put right where they belong.
4) I actually make my family wait for whatever it is they want until after Im done putting everything away. My kids are old enough to be told to wait a minute and my DH is definetly old enough to either wait or help put things away if he doens't want to wait. This of course doesn't count if one of the girls get hurt/are crying or some other emergency type thing comes up.
5) I make sure I have enough time to fully complete a load and put it away before going to bed. Last load goes in the wash around 5ish so its out by 7 (averaging 1 hour in wash, 1 hour in dryer) then I have plenty of time to put it all away before going to bed for the night.
6) If any catch up is needed I do it on either Saturday or Sunday when DH is home to help me with it. It really does go faster when two people are hanging/folding than when one. If something special is needed to be washed (like a certain uniform for DH or a certain dress) and we don't have advanced notice then I will make a special load for that. I probably should wash a whole load but usually this is how it goes: After dinner Dh: "Oh honey did I tell you what they decided today" me: No what DH we have to wear xyz tomorrow is it washed? me: No its not, what time do you have to be at work tomorrow DH we have PT so around 4ish me: go to bed Ill take care of it... so usually Im not that happy and i dont' think about the fact I can do more than just that, I just want to get it over with and get to bed.
7) We hang just about everything except girls t-shirts/skirts and PJs for the family. Work out clothes and uniform tshirts are also folded not hung. We have two closets, one in the girls room for them, one in the bedroom for us. If the clothes don't fit in it then its time to do some decluttering. So far we haven't had a problem with it.
~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005