Decluttering and Personal Growth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been doing a lot of decluttering lately, namely sorting through boxes I've had packed for several years. It's amazing how easy it is to let go of the "stuff" that used to mean so much to me. For instance, I just donated an entire box of books on feminism: essays, theories, etc. There was a time I never would have let them go. But the truth is that I'm just at a different place in my life right now. I don't have mental, physical or emotional space for feminist theory. My causes are different now. My interests are shifting. (I'm not implying that feminism isn't important. I'm just realizing I have more a desire to just be than to theorize on being. Please don't flame me.) I've entered a new phase in my life now that I'm in my 30s and a mom. The things that were once so meaningful to me have largely taken a back seat. I get more enjoyment out of researching and applying frugality. I'm deeply interested in (and fascinated by) topics particular to moms. I'm happier than I've every been. And I've grown so much. These days my life doesn't feel like a constant battle to fight. I'm beginning to master the art of being, and that has so little to do with "stuff." As I say this, I'm not about to purge my poetry or collection of classics. LOL. But I am ready to get rid of my old Party-lite houses, self-help books, feminist theory, letters from old relationships, etc., etc. It feels good to let them go and to embrace the person I am becoming. It feels like I am undergoing a huge period of growth. I feel less weighted, more inspired, and ready to be set free from the past.

Has decluttering prompted this awareness of personal growth in others?
#2 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YES! Last year, I finally let go of my college notes (they've been sitting in boxes for 8+ years).

Anyway, I totally agree... now if only I had the time to sort through stuff more often...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
YES! Last year, I finally let go of my college notes (they've been sitting in boxes for 8+ years).

Anyway, I totally agree... now if only I had the time to sort through stuff more often...
I'm also tossing my college papers!
#4 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tossed our college papers this summer & I found a HUGE box of letters I was keeping. It was very freeing.

I have a hard time with baby stuff!!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Gray's Mommy, I keep baby stuff because I plan to have more babies, but I did get rid of something I knew I would never use.

Did you toss the letters you'd been saving? There are certain letters I don't mind tossing. Others I'm uncertain about.
#6 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 PM

got rid of the letters...we're on the fence as to a 4th baby...I think that is why I'm having such a hard time with the baby stuff.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#7 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM

I have found a lot of personal growth through purging as well. Last year I finally threw away all of my important college term papers. I was never going to actually read them again, and I'm not anticipating going back to college, and I laced the space for them (they were mixed in with my cookbooks in the kitchen). The more I let go of things the easier it gets. I want my life to be filled with things that are relvant to the part of my life, not so much the life I had 5 or 10 years ago.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#8 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
I want my life to be filled with things that are relvant to the part of my life, not so much the life I had 5 or 10 years ago.
Exactly!
#9 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Banned

when we tossed our uni and grad school papers, we felt amazingly lighter. the thing we were really glad to let go of, but didn't know we were holding on to: other's judgments of us (after all, that's what grades, comments, and various "letters of recommendation" that had back-handed or no compliments really are).

defining ourselves, rather than having another define us, was really liberating.
#10 of 13 Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 PM

YES!!! I grew up, maturing into the woman I want to be. May sound simple but it's my truth. I am so not the person I was even 5, 10 or 15 years ago and I am grateful for those experiences but I am even happier to be where I am. I used to keep a notebook of "inspiration" and tossed it about a year ago. I decided I have that inspiration inside of me and to live it.
#11 of 13 Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscharm74 View Post

YES!!! I grew up, maturing into the woman I want to be. May sound simple but it's my truth. I am so not the person I was even 5, 10 or 15 years ago and I am grateful for those experiences but I am even happier to be where I am. I used to keep a notebook of "inspiration" and tossed it about a year ago. I decided I have that inspiration inside of me and to live it.
Awesome!

SAHM to three
#12 of 13 Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Love this!

QUOTE=catscharm74;16001630]Has decluttering prompted this awareness of personal growth in others?

YES!!! I grew up, maturing into the woman I want to be. May sound simple but it's my truth. I am so not the person I was even 5, 10 or 15 years ago and I am grateful for those experiences but I am even happier to be where I am. I used to keep a notebook of "inspiration" and tossed it about a year ago. I decided I have that inspiration inside of me and to live it.[/QUOTE]

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#13 of 13 Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM

It took me some time... BELIEVE ME...and a lot of adventures to get where I am today. I realized that my dreams were someone elses (insert lots of therapy relating to childhood, mom and dad, etc... ) and when I wasn't afraid to be ME anymore, I finally was able to do what I loved and just live a happy life. I collected things to create a false barrier of protection and a reflection to society to accept me for what I had, not who I was. Let ALL of that go about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I like my quirks!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page