purging for the holidays? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Does anyone else find themselves doing this? My daughter's birthday is the week before Christmas so in December we will probably get LOADS of toys. I'm already starting to organize and declutter in preparation for this, not to mention for the addition of a second child around the same time. I'm going to go through the box she keeps at grandma and grandpas and donate some of those toys so some of her other loved but not AS loved toys can go over there. (We visit my parent's house every week, and often more than once a week since they are close.) I'll probably do another donation after that and even another after all the gift giving is done.

I don't even feel like she has THAT much, but we do have toys that are being held onto for the new babe, toys that she hasn't quite grown into, toys that she only plays with when the older neices and nephews come over, etc. So I'm sure more stuff has to go.

I already downsized my ornaments and decorations quite a bit. I got rid of our large tree. I got rid of any big floor decorations. I got rid of most non sentimental ornaments. We have one large box, an angel, and a small tree that typically goes in dd's room, and when things come out we may end up donating even more!
#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't do it all that much but we don't have very many toys. I have a toy organization unit and its not even half way full and one shelf is taken over by baby toys that the girls don't use but I keep out for friends children when they come over. I also dont' mind getting rid of toys throughout the year when I realize that they aren't being used. DD1's birthday is in Jan, DD2s is in November but the only people who gives them anything is either me or DH so its more easily managed.

I do find that I purge a lot of random household stuff in the beginning of the holiday season.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year, I did the holiday grand plan . It was great (but difficult toward the end, because I was quite pregnant and having some hip issues). I should so do that again this year...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 7 Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM

I used the lists on www.flylady.net last year (probably comparable to the stuff on www.organizedhome.com) and I'm planning to do it again.
We have 2 birthdays coming up in October, so that'll hopefully motivate me to do some clean-out work...

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 AM

I'm going to soon. We have a TON of infant and toddler toys that aren't being played with by the current toddler because she's more interested in the older kids' stuff We're probably going to TTC soon, and I was thinking 'OH, I should hang on to all this stuff for the next one' but then it dawned on me that THAT kid will have birthdays and Christmases too, LOL, so out it will go. My church is going to have a huge swap soon, so I'm going to take some things there and the rest will probably go to goodwill.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#6 of 7 Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Last year, I did the holiday grand plan . It was great (but difficult toward the end, because I was quite pregnant and having some hip issues). I should so do that again this year...
Thanks for putting this up! I was going to do this last year but ended up taking an extended trip back to see family. Im going to try again this year, no way Im traveling again (Ill be 34ish weeks Christmas so def not going to be traveling).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 7 Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 AM

there's a group of us on fb who started it. for some reason I need other people to keep me accountable.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page