Handbags.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a problem with working out where to store handbags so they look tidy and appealing.

Does anyone have any good ideas or ways for storing theirs?

I have a bit of a collection, which I don't want to get rid of, as they are different colours and patterns for different seasons, to go with different outfits, etc..but I always seem to end up just putting them on the floor in my room and they look really messy. I want to find a way to store them attractively, but in a way that I won't stash them in a cupboard and just forget to use them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Editing to add that I think in America you call them purses? Or do you call them handbags also, not sure....

SAHM to three
#2 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I hang mine on hangers. I loop the handle over the hook part of the hanger. I can get 3-5 purses per hanger. That way I can see them all and they don't get crumpled. But, I have the closet room to do it and I hate clutch type purses so all of mine hang easily.
#3 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM

I do the same thing with the hanger in my closet. I saw on the Nate Berkus (sp?) show that you can get a cabinet with shelves and glass doors and they can be displayed like art.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 16 Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have the room in my closet for doing that unfortunately.

SAHM to three
#5 of 16 Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 AM

What about under bed storage boxes?

Decorative hooks on the wall? You could almost treat it as artwork.
#6 of 16 Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Hooks on the wall or on the inside of a closet door?
#7 of 16 Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Hanging from hooks, preferrably at eye-level, is best I think. We recently moved and for the first time in my life I have a walk-in closet. There are hooks and shelves galore so I am very lucky. I love being able to see my bags (I don't have many but I like very colorful bags and end up switching out pretty often) and grab them easily and quickly. I used to keep them on a shelf above the rack in my closet and they got kind of jumbled and messy there.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#8 of 16 Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 PM

How many handbags do you have? I ask because I have too many. I store most of them in a closet/built in wardrobe in DD's room and have 2 out at any given time.

Here in Canada is it the norm to have coat hooks in your front hall. We have one coat hook each for our winter coats/gloves/mitts etc etc etc. I then have some other hooks which are designated for bags. The diaper bag and the purse/handbag which is in current rotation goes on one and DD's bag for daycare goes on the other one.

I try and keep the ones I am not using stored in the robe.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#9 of 16 Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 AM

I have one bag and one diaper bag so Im not help as in personal experience however a couple of thoughts came to mind:
-hooks like you can use for ties inside the wall of your closet (if you have room)
- if you dont' use them often storage containers would work to store them.. thats if they aren't to valuable, if they are like Coach bags then I would find a better way.
- When DH and I were first married I got him this motorized tie hanger. It would work for purses to buy you would have to do like every other one rather than every one.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 16 Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Get a Miche bag and you only have to change the colors of the wrap, which store flat. You could put 10 wraps in a small area.
#11 of 16 Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
When I had a collection I did the following,
Get a belt, thread the purses on the belt, then hang the belt, closed on a hanger.. this creates a huge 'loop' for the purses to hang from and creates a ton of space for them. you can also hang the belt from a closet rod if you have one. You dont need much space and you can store lots of purses this way!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your ideas, there are a lot of options I had never thought of....I am going to try the hooks inside the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post
How many handbags do you have? I ask because I have too many. I store most of them in a closet/built in wardrobe in DD's room and have 2 out at any given time.
Probably about ten, without actually doing a proper count. Not sure if that is too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
When I had a collection I did the following,
Get a belt, thread the purses on the belt, then hang the belt, closed on a hanger.. this creates a huge 'loop' for the purses to hang from and creates a ton of space for them. you can also hang the belt from a closet rod if you have one. You dont need much space and you can store lots of purses this way!
I love this idea, definitely think this one is doable, thank you!

SAHM to three
#13 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 AM

Get one of those sweater stackers that hang off the closet rod and put them in there. Or Real Simple magazine makes a special purse organizer but I am not sure if it's available internationally.

Here are links to what I mean:

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/6-she...rce=googlebase

http://www.realsimple.com/magazine-m...646/index.html
#14 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

I love that last one, but sadly we don't have Bed Bath and Beyond here. I might keep an eye out for something similar though.

SAHM to three
#15 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM

That hanging sweater bag is the first thing that came to mind when I read your question. Those are a very common type of closet organizer and you can find them all over here. Wal-mart, Target, K-mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc. You should be able to find something locally.

Another thought would be a shoe cubbie type cabinet but one made for larger shoes. Think lots of large open squares. Then it would not have to be inside the closet and if there are enough cubbies use the lower ones for shoes. Once again I have seen basic ones at all the local big stores like above. Most often they have tiny holes for thin women's shoes, but you can find larger ones.
#16 of 16 Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM

A couple of links from one of the blogs I have bookmarked:

- something like this handbag rack: http://youlookfab.com/2006/10/02/hooking-your-handbags/

- or shelf dividers if you have the room: http://youlookfab.com/2010/05/17/usi...tore-handbags/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page