Reducing/Handling Paper Clutter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought I'd start a thread just for handling and reducing paper clutter. What strategies have you found to be most effective?

For instance, paperless billing is something I'm seriously considering doing. Also, I know there is a physical address/website where I can sign up to stop receiving junk mail (but I don't know what that is).

Please share your ways of reducing and handling paper clutter.

So many thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do mostly paperless billing and our bills are on an autopay.

We have a note on our mailbox about no junk mail, though I am considering taking it off because I think I was to start reading the flyers (I've never done this before)

I find much of the addressed junk mail I get is from the same companies. i am sure you could contact them and tell them to stop sending.

Or open you mail and sort it then put the trash right in the recycling.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#3 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM

I got my dh to pack up his boxes and boxes of papers and take them into his office!

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM

As for junk mail, I open it right above the recycling bin before I bring it indoors. That seems to help a bit.

I also have a giant pile of paper that I need to go through today...thanks for reminding me

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 PM

I need help with this too. Stuff that goes right to recycling is easy, stuff for long term filing is easy (file it), it is the stuff that needs to sit around for a bit but not be forgotten about like:
bills
registration forms for activities
ywca schedules
invitations
tickets
coupons
stamps
mail to be answered
pictures end up in the pile somehow also
etc.
piles on the counter is not great, in a desk I will forget about it till dates have passed. In a folder I will forget about it also.
I am thinking about a bulletin board but don't want that to look a mess either.
#6 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Well, I need my paper bills. I'd forget otherwise. I need that tactile memory.

So...

I have a finance basket and a file box. When bills and important papers come in, they go to the finance basket. I label them with the "deal with by" date. When the mail comes in, I stand by the trash can and sort it right there, so that very little actually gets farther than the entrance hall. The box is also used for registration forms, etc (although, I find it easier to fill them out immediately, as I'm more likely to forget if I let them sit for a week or two). Coupons get immediately cut out and stuck in my folder in my purse. Once I pay a bill, I immediately drop it into it's folder in my file box, and usually don't look at it again until December when I clear out the box.

Papers are not allowed to lie around. They either need to go in their specific place, or get thrown out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page