How Many CookBooks do you Own vs Use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I love to cook and have many cookbooks, but i rarely cook from them. Most days I follow my intuition, putting ingredients together as the appeal and using what is in my pantry.
On occasion I do follow a recipe but then are my cookbooks just wasting space?

How many do you have vs how many you use?

I use my bread bible weekly, but some of the others, only at holidays. Should I just copy my most used recipes and put them in file?

Help! I can't decide what to do.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#2 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM

I only have 4 cookbooks and use them just a few times a year each. Mostly I just go online to look up recipes or just throw it together.

ETA: How about just assigning a small space for cookbooks, then cutting down to the number that will fit in there. Put your favprites/most used there, copy most used recipes out of the remaining books and donate or sell them.
#3 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 04:00 PM

I have quite a few cookbooks, but I rarely follow recipes. I mostly look at my books for ideas, so I do keep them because I never know when I'll need to get a recipe idea for some random ingredient.
#4 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 PM

I have a TON of cookbooks.

I rarely even open them.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 PM

I had about 20. I never used them. I got rid of all but 3 (those were gifts and kept more so MIL would see that I still have them when she visits ) when we moved over the summer. I do pretty much all my recipe research online---mostly with some great apps on my phone.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#6 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Oh gosh it would take me some while to count them all! I guess that says it all.

However as my DD is planning to be a chef, and I rather enjoy leafing through recipe books, I am not planning on cutting them down right now.

SAHM to three
#7 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Just counted and I have 138 cookbooks give or take (I didn't check to see what was upstairs). I seldom follow a recipe from start to finish but I buy cookbooks to inspire me and give me new ideas/tricks. Might be hard to believe but I'd say I use 75% on a regular basis. We have a large extended family that visits often and we like to entertain. I also meal plan every week and like to change up what we eat so I consult them quite a bit.

The ones that get used the least tend to be the dessert specific ones, bread specific ones and some of my more completed raw vegan ones (too much prep time required!)

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#8 of 54 Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM

I have about 10. I use most of them pretty regularly. I think there are maybe 2 I haven't used in the past month. I do find myself searching online more often than using a book but, I like having the books to look through too.
#9 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Ah, cookbooks a particular indulgence of mine! I have decluttered them before, they have been refined, but are still numerous. Maybe three shelves worth? I cook out of them sometimes, but I often flick through them. Sometimes I read them with my kids instead of their kids books. I could definitely use them more though. I'd like to keep them, I think, but I try not to let them bust out past their three shelves (of a bookshelf) worth!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#10 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have 3 which are all used semi regularly. I don't tend to refer to them for day to day things but they have the recipes for things like Christmas cakes and stuff like that. I also have a place in the filling cabinet for things I've got from magazines or websites.

I love browsing through cookbooks for new ideas but our library has loads.

If I'm looking for a recipe for something specific I tent to turn to Google.
#11 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 AM

I have 10 or under. Not sure
#12 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 AM

It's kind of sad (to not use a book) but I love finding stuff online. But then, what do you do with all of the loose papers? mine are a mess.
#13 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 AM

I also like checking them out of the library
#14 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 AM

I don't know. I've been wondering what other people do. You can use a binder and use those clear sheets for the pages.
#15 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 AM

I have 10 or so. I use all but one several times a month. One is more complex (read expensive to make) recipes I use for special occasions and holidays.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#16 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:27 AM

I counted them this afternoon and it turns out I have close to 200!!!

I have weeded out a grand total of 8 to get rid of...

SAHM to three
#17 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I counted them this afternoon and it turns out I have close to 200!!!

I have weeded out a grand total of 8 to get rid of...
Holy crap! where do you keep them all?
#18 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 AM

I have a bookshelf dedicated to just cookery books!

The total figure does include a set of about 70 mini cookbooks..which don't take up a lot of room.

SAHM to three
#19 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
It's kind of sad (to not use a book) but I love finding stuff online. But then, what do you do with all of the loose papers? mine are a mess.
I don't print them out. I bookmark them and bring my laptop with me into the kitchen.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#20 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 AM

As far as the printouts from online go: it sounds redundant, but I keep a binder with clean copies, and then give my DH a binder with a second copy. That way, I have the recipe permanently (in case it gets taken down online), and I don't have to worry about him getting the recipe dirty.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#21 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
Just counted and I have 138 cookbooks give or take (I didn't check to see what was upstairs). I seldom follow a recipe from start to finish but I buy cookbooks to inspire me and give me new ideas/tricks.
That.

I can't bring myself to get rid of most of them, I love them all. I was thinking about rotating them. I love to peruse them and make my menus for the week.

Whatever will be, already is...

#22 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 PM

I have about two dozen... half of those I use regularly. I use a soup bible weekly, a gluten free baking book multiple times a week, the Rebar cookbook a few times monthly, Nourishing Traditions a couple times a month. I have a great Asian cookbook which covers traditional recipes from ALL of Asia which I love and use monthly as well as Wild Fermentation which I go back to for ferment measurements, and a bean bible for ideas of good meals with beans. Some are more seasonal like canning, cordail and liquior recipes, dehydrating recipes, putting food by, and Wild foods cookbooks. A couple I am a bit sentimentally attatched to... like " The Farm" cookbook , and a Red rose cookbook of grandmas with all of the clipped out recipes and personal notes. A couple could go... like a couple of Moosewood and a vegan lunchbox.

:
#23 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, see, I read Soup Bible and now I just have to have it. I love my cookbooks for the most part but they take up so much room and i don't use half of the recipes in them.

I do like the idea of putting pages in a sleeve since I could wipe them off. I am a good cook but a messy cook.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#24 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM

The soup Bible is probably my favourite cookbook ever. Every single soup in there is good. There are recipes in there that make a yummy meal when you are scraping the bottom of the barrel and are in between grocery shops... but somehow are still delicious and don't taste like watered down chicken bones!lol My mother made terrible soups( and my dad insisted that real men don't eat soups!).
Add in the NT style home made broths and some good bread.... fit for the pickiest eater, and makes for full bellies all around.

:
#25 of 54 Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 PM

We have about 50 cookbooks and I hate them. I've never used a single one. DH thinks we need to have them and refuses to part with them until he "goes through them all." (He doesn't cook. I do.)

We also have cookbook software on our computers--anything we love I put into "Our Cookbook" and I refer back to that or find new things online. I love looking online for recipes--any recipe I could ever want is out there and takes up no space in my house!

A and M, June 2012
#26 of 54 Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I have a bookshelf dedicated to just cookery books!

The total figure does include a set of about 70 mini cookbooks..which don't take up a lot of room.
What's a mini cookbook? sounds cute!
#27 of 54 Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 AM

Yeah, I like the binder with sleeves idea too. Will have to do that!
#28 of 54 Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 AM

does anyone have a good Indian cookbook? they seem to be either too involved or not what I want to make...
#29 of 54 Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
does anyone have a good Indian cookbook? they seem to be either too involved or not what I want to make...
I like Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking and Indian Spice Kitchen. Both are excellent and easy to follow.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#30 of 54 Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I've been wondering what other people do. You can use a binder and use those clear sheets for the pages.
That's exactly what I do. Sometimes I bring my laptop into the kitchen, but it takes up too much room and is difficult to move around, so the binder is perfect for me. Plus the sheet protectors can be wiped down, taken out, moved around...
My binder is a cute, thin one. I'm considering making a nice cookbook on shutterfly, or something like that too.

Regular cookbooks, I don't have too many, maybe 7 or 8 and a small stack of Cooks Illustrated magazines.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page