For fun: arranging my kids' and their room(s) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Present situation: 3 bedroom house.
9 year old girl--own room. Twin size bed.
7 year old boy with a full/queen size futon and 18 month old girl in a pack and play share room. Son is developmentally delayed, so he and the 18 month old are on similar levels in a lot of ways.

I'd like to put them all in 1 room and use the other as a play room. Would you put 3 kids, mixed gender, with that age range into a single room?

If I didn't put them in one room, and had to keep it to where 2 were always sharing--not able to get a larger house, which two? And why?
#2 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 PM

I would def talk to them about putting them in the same room. Get a bunk and put 9 y o on the top one. Get one of those ones with the stairs up to the bed rather than a ladder so it's safer if one of the littles wants to climb. You can also get them where the treads of the stairs are drawers.

However, how would your 9 yo feel abotu sharing a room? Once she is an adolescent surely she would prefer her own space and especially when she begins her period, I would imagine. So it may only be a solution for a few years.

Or you could put the 2 younger ones in bunk as above if your son is ok to be on the top. That would clear some space on the floor for a play area.

Is the 9yo still into toys in the same way? Would the play room really be for the younger two? If this is the case, then def keep separate.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#3 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM

I have two teenage girls who are now 16 and 19. From memory, that preteen stage for girls...around 9 to 12 years old, is a time of huge changes for them and usually a lot of emotions, so I would not really recommend putting a girl of that age in a room with the others, if it can be avoided at all.

SAHM to three
#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Yeah, I think the 9yo would be wanting her own space soon, at least not sharing with a boy. Aside from that, I'd be hesitant to get bunk beds with a child under 6 in that room, even if her own bed is not up high. Kids do silly things and don't understand the potential dangers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page