Join us for an October Big Projects challenge! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Do you have a list full of big projects that are haunting you, but that you haven't managed to tackle? Do you want to get some fall deep cleaning done but need a little extra oomph to get started? Then come join us in the October Big Projects challenge!

Pick a certain number of projects for the month, as many as you'd like. Report back in here each time you finish one or need some encouragement or advice. Post pictures of your fabulous results to brag about your hard work and bolster the rest of us!

Here we go...
All done already but I just wanted to share...

We painted the concrete walls of our laundry room in the basement and put white ceramic tiles on the floor. It looks sooooo cool!

It used to be very dark and unfriendly in there. An unfinished basment. Now i'ts actually fun to do laundry, iron and go to the freezer lol

Today I'll put the new neat and organized boxes on the shelves and the room will be all done.
#62 of 81 Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM

i did the "outdoor" part of the winterizing and about half (er, 40% maybe?) of the wall-washing that needed to happen. this weekend, i hope to finish that - but i'm really not ready to put up the window plastic yet. i'm still opening the windows on sunny days, so the winterizing will have to wait until the end of the month or maybe even later.

painting the floors . . . honestly i don't see that happening in october. i might just live with them until spring/summer. i don't know. i feel like i have a lot of other work to do, just decluttering and organizing and getting my house sparking clean.

curtains - still on the list! i do want to get the curtains made this month. i love sewing and have a ton of fabulous fabric.
#63 of 81 Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
I'll join:

1) go through old yard sale items in garage-DONE

2) go through boxes in attic with DH
3) go through ds's toy room- DONE
4) Have dh go through his clothes-DONE
5) Go through mine and ds's clothes and closet again-DONE
6) donate unwanted items from above Done except #2
7) Purge my office 1 more time
8) make reusable swiffer pads
9)clean out basement

Update: 10/7: well dh went through his clothes and we brought about 3 trashbags of clothes, 1 box misc, 1 box clothes, 1 box books to donate-they took everything but the stroller, of course i had dh start going through the garage and half the stuff ended up being mine, geeze, i guess i got more stuff scattered around here than i thought.

Okay that is it for me for the month, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew

I am going to try to tackle the office today.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#64 of 81 Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
I am going to try to tackle the office today.

Well shoot, I tried my hardest to finish it, but the room looks great, but i still need to go through the closet and file cabinets, I just got tired and other areas needed basic cleaning attention, but I'd say i got 3/4's of it done and I through out a lot of papers into the recycle bin/old boxes and got a big bag of stuff to donate! And now my sewing area is clutter free and I can try to sew again!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#65 of 81 Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM

OK I am REALLY going to attack the messy garage today. I had to come here first to say that, just to make myself accountable!

SAHM to three
#66 of 81 Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm envious of how awesome you all are being.

I made more progress on the shed! I need to get some sort of small locking cabinet for the spa chemicals and the sharp gardening tools (not much) and I need to move the shelving units and one more big box. Once I have the cabinet and someone to help me with the shelving units I think it will take under an hour! I'm close!

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#67 of 81 Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used September to pressure wash and stain the fence. I used the first two weeks in October to pressure wash and stain the deck. The back yard is really shaping up. I also touched up the picnic tables and chairs with paint before stashing them in the garage for winter. (it rains all winter here in Portland) Also, I brought in the hammock, too.

Next weekend, I'm planting bulbs for spring.
#68 of 81 Old 10-17-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
OK I am REALLY going to attack the messy garage today. I had to come here first to say that, just to make myself accountable!
I got heaps done! DH came into the garage and was amazed by how much I'd done so that felt good. I have nearly cleared the floor completely next the car on one side.

SAHM to three
#69 of 81 Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Looks like everyone is making great progress!!

I couldn't sleep last night and didn't want to chance waking the girls running the sewing machine so instead I worked on the felt food and one of the felt vehicles for DD2's Christmas gift. Im changing my goals for this month by the way, those vehicles take ALOT of work (took me almost 4 hours without distractions!) so Im going to try to get 1 more done this month. My hands are all crampy from hand sewing so much last night. Next time I can't sleep maybe Ill stick to knitting

Four of the five felt food I did. The jelly roll was drying (it had fabric adhesive on it) when I took the picture. Most of its hand sewn with the exception of some of the smaller pieces.

Felt dump truck- This took forever, its all hand sewn and the back moves up and down. DD1 has already "test driven" it and love it.

Today I need to pay some attention to cleaning and then I might work on the birthday banner Im trying to make. Since the printer is hooked up (Yay!!) it will be a little easier!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#70 of 81 Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM

I added one more thing to my to-do list! When we moved in I was told that the floors were nasty from stains and couldn't be cleaned. So Ive just been mopping it once to twice a week to keep it as clean as possible. Yesterday I decided to give it a shot ( yea took me almost 2 years to even try to get the stains out , I told you I was a procrastinator!!) and my bathroom floor is almost clean! Its not perfect but its now a whitish color for the grout instead of a browish red color. My bathtub is also almost white again (something else I was told was stained and not cleanable)..
So, now I want to go try to keep some of the rest of the floors clean. Im going to try to scrub all the floors in the apartment. My girls are pretty excited about it, means a big bucket full of water they can splash around and not get in trouble for.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#71 of 81 Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
8) Finish hanging artwork in seating area, kitchen and upstairs hallway
Finished hanging the painting in the formal seating area. Hoping to finish hanging the rest today!

Quote:
4) Hardware on all kitchen cabinets

5) Tile backsplash in kitchen
I bought all the tile for the backsplash and hopefully will start on that this weekend (it will probably take 3 days because we're removing the countertop lip) The cabinets are all done just need to do 8 more drawers.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#72 of 81 Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Coconut- I love your house! Its so pretty!

I ordered the Christmas fabric.. again.. this morning. Also ordered fabric for my dress. DH has decided he rather have a nice romantic dinner for our anniversary than have me go to the ball with him which suits me just fine. Im not a fan of dealing with drunk Marines! Our fifth anniversary is at the end of November so Im going to see if I can find someone to babysit the girls and go our to a nice resturant just the two of us. We haven't been out to a nice restruant since our honeymoon (well, unless you consider Chilis one?) and we haven't been on a date for over 2 1/2 years so its about time.

#73 of 81 Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I got heaps done! DH came into the garage and was amazed by how much I'd done so that felt good. I have nearly cleared the floor completely next the car on one side.
Yay! Pics!? I should have put my garage on the list. It needs help lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Coconut- I love your house! Its so pretty!
Awww thanks mama ... that dump truck you made is so cute. Did you use a pattern? I'm so impressed that it works!

Quote:
2) Paint entrance hallway
Trying to pick between two paints right now... hopefully I will make a decision by the end of the day.

Quote:
8) Finish hanging artwork in seating area, kitchen and upstairs hallway
Well I got the painting hung in the kitchen/breakfast nook but when I went upstairs to hang the two maps in the hallway I noticed the glass was cracked on one of them ... so gotta get that fixed.

#74 of 81 Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Coconut- the dump truck was made from a kit i got at the local 100 yen store (kind of like a dollar tree but the stuff there is nicer)

I did the bean bags yesterday! I was going to work on the journals but my SIL asked me to come online and talk to her. Shes having some really bad health problem so usually if she needs to talk she NEEDS to, if you get what Im saying. Ill probably be on for at least 1-2 hours talking to her so while im doing that Im going to start working on the home management binder Im trying to make. When my SIL goes to bed Im going to work on the journals and birthday banner today. My goals for the day: At least 5 journals done and the "happy birthday" in the banner done. It all depends on how the girls are doing today.

#75 of 81 Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Its almost the end of the month, hows everyone doing?

I had some bad news today so I don't know what else Im going to be able to get done. Im emotionally a bit of a mess so Im either going to be really productive this week (its easier for me to work through things while Im busy) or Im not going to get anything done at all. There are a few I know Im not going to get done by next month. First, I STILL can't find the zipper in the right size. I have one more place to look (was suppose to go today but didn't happen) and then Im going to see if my MIL or SIL can pick one up and send it to me. Second the anniversary dress's fabric isn't going to get here before the end of the month. Im going to try to get the pattern traced and try to work on making a mock dress (just to know if its even going to work) but the pattern is a little complex so I don't know if its going to work well or not.

#76 of 81 Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM

The shed project continues...

At this point the only stuff still in the shed needs another outside waterproof storage device. It will be approximately 1/15 of the current size. It's just a bad idea to store the sharp yard stuff and spa chemicals in the garage where the kids play. The acquiring of that will be happening next weekend. (It's raining here this weekend.)

Everything that needs to find a home is in the garage! I'm mostly done finding homes! I may even post pictures. (I am terrible about taking pictures and putting them online.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#77 of 81 Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I had some bad news today so I don't know what else Im going to be able to get done. Im emotionally a bit of a mess so Im either going to be really productive this week (its easier for me to work through things while Im busy) or Im not going to get anything done at all. There are a few I know Im not going to get done by next month. First, I STILL can't find the zipper in the right size. I have one more place to look (was suppose to go today but didn't happen) and then Im going to see if my MIL or SIL can pick one up and send it to me. Second the anniversary dress's fabric isn't going to get here before the end of the month. Im going to try to get the pattern traced and try to work on making a mock dress (just to know if its even going to work) but the pattern is a little complex so I don't know if its going to work well or not.
I'm sorry you've had bad news. You've already had an impressively productive month so I think you could rest on your laurels and still look good.

#78 of 81 Old 10-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
OkiMom I'm sorry to hear about your bad news!

I can't believe how fast this month is going by. We started the tile backsplash in the kitchen today. Hoping to have this completely finished by next weekend. I'm fairly pleased with my progress this month... The only thing I see not happening is the attic. We might be able to start it but I doubt we'll be able to completely finish it. Definitely want to tackle that in November (guess someone will have to start a November Big Projects thread!)

ETA a few more pics: ONE, TWO and THREE

#79 of 81 Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thinking of you Okimom.

I have made a lot more progress with my 3 things than I had imagined I would.

1) I have done most of the linen closet. I realised that I really should get some extra small shelves put in to my closet, as there is a big dead space at the side. I saw this pic and it made me realise how I could use the left hand side for so many things. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/ho...nen-closet.htm

2) I did the main part of the garage that was bothering me. There is still a lot of work to be done in the garage, but it will take about a year to really wade through it all!

3) I have made a good start on the kitchen cupboards. I want to keep going with that during the week. Being Sunday today I am not going to work on it, not that I am religious or anything, I just want to rest on the weekend.

SAHM to three
#80 of 81 Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Im still going to try to get some of the rest done, who knows what it will be though. We have a typhoon preparing to get us (yea more rain, hopefully it doesn't flood again) so I need to prep for that..

I did get the bun in the oven shirt done.. but the Halloween party is most likly not happening because of the typhoon so Im not doing the apron for DH. Hes ok with that. I got all 4 of the aprons done and wrapped DD2's birthday gifts. Im going to try to get motivated to do some stuff this week.. if only I could get my girls motivated to sleep. They woke up at 2am this morning.

#81 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't dare to plan for anything at the beginning of October since there are so many tasks I still have un-done

but I've been lurking now and then and am now quite pleased to realise that I did actually tackle a big project that has been pending for 2 years; we have a very small windowless place with just a washbasin in there (which we don't actually use) and the owner gave us a credit note for supplies so that we would scrape the flaky paint and repaint properly .... so we've had the supplies for 2 years and DH was not going to do it, I wasn't going to do it either => when I heard of a reasonable painter, "no job too small" on a network I'm part of, I got that project going, getting all I had stored in there out, getting a quote, being there when he was available to work, getting a new light fixture, ... as well as baking a cake for the children of the neighbor who helped DH with the complex wiring of the light fixture (which had not been working for 2 years)

am so glad that this forum exists, it's really helping me out, I don't despair as much now that I can see that I'm "in progress"
& also getting inspiration from others is a great help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page