need help - sorting school items - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
.... was going to to it this afternoon .... then got sidetracked on the computer (as usual !) - have been lurking in this sub-forum for more than a year, I HAVE made some progress (mainly for cleaning and organising time).... but am still having some hangups obviously.

so, one of my big projects is to go through files/boxes etc .... basically I have school notebooks and drawings and the like from my eldest .... for the last 8 years. (really it would have made sense NOT to go through two moves with all of that !!!!!!!!)

on one hand I really see that neither my eldest nor me nor DH have EVER gone through the files & boxes to exclaim, "oh what a cute drawing" or "look at what you were doing at 4 years of age" ....

SO, if I want to keep some of it (before passing away, DH 's grandmother gave me some of his thank you letters from when he was 7 or 8, it WAS cute to read them .....) I'd better make it less bulky ....

could you please tell me ... I don't know .....

I don't know what I need to hear so that something in me "clicks" and so that I can get on with the task ...

I grew up with people who were frequently mentionning "not having enough" during the second world war 2 ..... they would keep the back of old enveloppes for scrap paper etc ...

I am so frightened of maybe throwing away something that I'll regret not having later on ...

I'm also unhappy that I am the one who has to sort out what is to be kept /make the decision to throw away (= will be the one who's blamed later on basically) - DH cannot be supportive in that area, he tends to throw away all of his belongings without thinking about future needs ... to the point where it has been a problem at least once with with car/bank etc ... and he won't help me make a joint decision about house papers etc ... even if it looks like obviously junk papers and I only wanted a final opinion and just a final check from him about what I thought could be thrown away ...

any suggestions ?????
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE
#2 of 3 Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get a large photo album or nice folder with sheet protectors and pick 1 or 2 pictures from each year to save and display in it. If you found the right photo album that would work you could also include a few snap shots from that year and it could make a good coffee table type book. Toss everything else.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

v

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page