More space efficient way to store diapers than a changing table? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 22 months old and it's been a long time since we've actually used the changing table for changing diapers. It is a fairly bulky piece of furniture that takes up quite a bit of space in our tiny bedroom (our house its self is only 700 square feet plus a small garage). I imagine that if you use disposable diapers, it's as simple as keeping a pack of Pampers on a shelf but we use prefolds. I really would love to get rid of this changing table once and for all, but what to do with our many diapers and wraps? The things that I had thought of were either keeping them in a box under our bed or in a drawer, which doesn't seem very handy, or putting them on top of a dresser, which would attract clutter. Where do you keep your cloth diapers?
#2 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 PM

We put them in an unused drawer of our tv armoire.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#3 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Ours lived in a laundry basket near DD's dresser. We'll do the same for the twins. We use the top of the dresser as a changing table.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#4 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM

You might not have this set-up as an option, but we used the top of the dryer as a changing table (w/ a pad), and the shelf over the dryer has 3 nice baskets for diapers: pre-folds in one; pockets in another; and wipes, powder, etc. in the third.

As he grew out of diapers, we removed the baskets. We still have the changing pad, as this is where we dress him in the morning. One basket is left, with wipes and lotions and an extra change of clothing.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 PM

At that age I had/have a drawer in the bedroom dresser and a container in the living room that has diapers in it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#6 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM

We use a changing table but it also has all of the kids clothes on/in it so we don't have a dresser for them.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#7 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM

I stacked my prefolds in a laundry basket and kept it someplace convenient.
#8 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 PM

We use sposies but I buy them in bulk so there's always a LOT of them. They nicely fill up the cabinet under our sink in the spare bathroom. Wipes go in there too.
#9 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 PM

We keep a day's worth in a smallish wicker basket on our sofa table (behind the couch.) The rest live in a drawer in DH's dresser.
When we lived in tighter quarters we used IKEA CD towers in DS's room. See here.
#10 of 15 Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM

We put ours in a diaper stacker, sometimes stuffed/folded, other times just stuffed in there. Ours are homemade - we bought a small, sturdy hanger to hang it up with. DD's is hanging off changing table, but DS's is hanging in his closet.

Like this

Mama to three

#11 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM

We use a bookcase to store ours, we have way too many so they take up the whole bookcase but if you dont have too much you could just use the top shelf. Or even put some shelves up on the wall close to where you usually change your child.

Depending on your laundry setup, you could stick a change mat on top of the washer and just put a basket for clean prefolds in there. That way they go straight out of the wash into where you need them and you dont even need to fold them.
#12 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 AM

We have storage ottomans in our living room that we put the cloth diapers and wipes in. So, it doubles as seating and footrests.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#13 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM

I have a soft-sided canvas crate that I just stuck DD's diapers in & could shove under her bed. We mostly changed her on the floor anyway, so it was simple to pull it out. It was soft so it could bunch up however it needed to fit, but stiff enough that it didn't get folded up so it was a pain to find the opening or whatever, like a bag would have been. It was also cute enough that it didn't seem out of place if I left it out.
#14 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I put my cloth diapers in a hanging cloth shoe hanger thing in the living room. (Sorry, I don't know what it is...my mommom gave it to me. I've seen it in target, though.)
#15 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We store our cloth dipes in the top drawer of our dresser and use the bed as a change table.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page