Clothes storage: Drawers Vs. Hanging - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to hang clothes or store them in drawers?
Hanging 18 51.43%
Drawers 7 20.00%
Other, please specify 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im trying to decide which system is actually better. Drawers seem to fit more in them for the amount of floor space they take up. But hanging, especially shirts, is so much easier as you can do it all standing up and dont need a surface to fold on and pile stuff on. And you can see the clothes better. But they take up so much more space.

Which do you prefer and why???
#2 of 21 Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM

I do a combination. I hang all DH's and my pants, skirts, tops, and dresses (ok, the skirts and dresses are mine, not DHs but you get the drift). The girls dresses get hung as well. All underwear, workout stuff, pjs of DH's and mine gets folded. All undies, shirts, skirts and leggings of the girls get folded.

It works well for us. I like it since instead of taking me 30 minutes to put away clothes it takes like 10-15 depending on how much "help" Im getting from my girls.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 21 Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM

We hang everything (except jammies, undies, and socks). We don't even have any dressers. It's easier for me to keep it all organized and un-wrinkly.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 21 Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM

I prefer hanging unless it's not practical (e.g. socks, underpants). I find that things put in drawers are more easily buried and/or forgotten - I seem to work best when I can see everything at a glance. We still use drawers for some things, but since we're moving soon to a more permanent place, I plan to work on making hanging space for those things too (e.g. kids' pants).
#5 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 AM

I only use drawers for smaller things (socks, underwear, etc) because with folded clothes I find I forget what's in there since I only see the top item when I open it. I do store some clothes folded on shelves though (in the closet or armoire) which is fine because at least I can see the edge of the item and know what it is.

I do hang up a lot of stuff, especially items that get wrinkled easily. Knits mostly get folded since they don't wrinkle and would stretch on hangers.
#6 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 01:46 PM

We hang all our tops, dresses, and coats, but everything else is folded on open shelves in the closet. Socks & undies are in open bins on the shelf. I love being able to see with one look everything we have to wear!
#7 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We use dressers because we don't have much closet space.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#8 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot shelves They are much easier than drawers for sure. Well when little toddlers dont get to them and pull everything off
#9 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 AM

We use those hanging closet shelves for all the kids clothes and our socks and underclothes.
#10 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Hanging = no ironing! I keep undies, pajamas, and stuff like that in drawers but everything else gets hung.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#11 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Best advice ever from an article in Mothering Magazine:

We use the Ikea hanging shelves, one outfit complete with underwear, socks, etc. per space. It saves at least 20 minutes each morning and does not take much more time when folding clothes. Our clothes are a bit wrinkled but we don't have much linen so it works for us.

You could use a hanger alternative for wrinkling things, and just hang the whole outfit.

Out-of-season clothes // next week's outfits are in shelves--we don't have much choice, that's our storage. It's okay.

I used to enjoy picking out outfits. Now that's just another chore!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40096166

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#12 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Im trying to decide which system is actually better. Drawers seem to fit more in them for the amount of floor space they take up. But hanging, especially shirts, is so much easier as you can do it all standing up and dont need a surface to fold on and pile stuff on. And you can see the clothes better. But they take up so much more space.

Which do you prefer and why???
I prefer to hang all of our clothing. Currently, we do not even own a chest of drawers. I utilize hangers and baskets to store our clothing and accessories.

Our coats are hung in the front hall closet. A basket with our hats and gloves sits above. DH and I share our bedroom closet. Our clothes are hung while we each have a basket for socks and undies. DD and the baby will share a closet, as well. Their cloths are hung while they each have a basket for undies, socks, hats and booties.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#13 of 21 Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 PM

drawers. dh built me a platform bed with drawers underneath for all my clothes. i don't own anything that wrinkles.
#14 of 21 Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had to vote "other" because I need them both.

I hang blouses, skirts, pants, dresses, blazers and jackets. I can't imagine folding them up and having to dig them out everytime I wanted to wear something.

I fold t-shirts and pullovers, sportswear, and especially knits. Knits will stretch out if they hang for too long.

Right now, I have one closet with a couple of wire shelving units for anything that gets folded - underwear, pyjamas, as well as the other stuff mentioned above. It's all neatly organized. I wish the closet was a little bigger, to make more room for shoes and bags, since the shelving units have taken up that floor space.

DH also uses a combination of hanging and folding. His dress shirts and business suits need hanging, but he also wears a fair amount of "business casual" sweaters etc. that fold.

DS uses only drawers/shelves. For a teen boy, it seems to be more likely that clothes will get put away if they can just get tossed in a drawer or on a shelf, rather than take the extra step to hang it up.

DD has a single wardrobe unit with a hanging bar and a several shelves/drawers that work really nicely for the hanging/folding options.
#15 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have walk-in closets in all our bedrooms, so virtually all shirts get hung. We make a periodic sweep of closets to grab empty hangers, and put them in the laundry room. As clothes come out of the dryer, they immediately get put on hangers - no wrinkles!

We each have a dresser for socks, undies, PJs, jeans. DH and I also have wire sheling in our closets. Mine stay pretty orderly; DH tends to just throw stuff on the shelves, but since we each out away our own clothes (for the most part), I don't care what his closet looks like.

I have a drawer for sweaters and another for turtlenecks; it's cold where I live, and I have a bunch of them! I find them to much of a pain to put on hangers.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#16 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Hanging for everything except socks, undies and certain knits

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#17 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM

We hang botton down woven shirts that are tough to fold, dresses, and some pairs of dress pants. Everything else gets folded and put into a dresser. We also have one of those sweater organizers that hangs from a clothes rod. I would prefer not to hang anything, but I guess mine is the minority opinion - I finally get why houses are designed with those giant closets with a single rod across the top! Opposite of PPs, I forget about the clothes that are hanging out of view in the closet, and usually chose from clothes in the dresser...

How many folks who prefer to hang grew up in houses with a lot of hanging space? I always lived (and still do!) in old houses that didn't have much closet space, so only things that needed to hang got hung. I am now pretty fast at folding clothes (I fold everything against my chest standing up) and it doesn't seem like it would be much of a time savings to put everything on a hanger.
#18 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedYooper View Post

How many folks who prefer to hang grew up in houses with a lot of hanging space? I always lived (and still do!) in old houses that didn't have much closet space, so only things that needed to hang got hung. I am now pretty fast at folding clothes (I fold everything against my chest standing up) and it doesn't seem like it would be much of a time savings to put everything on a hanger.
I have always lived in older homes with tiny closets. I'd like a walk-in closet with built-in drawers and hanging rods, but it isn't a huge priority. I still prefer to hang certain things - blouses, dresses and skirts, most pants. It's less about the time folding and more about the fact that I don't iron unless under duress.

Honestly, I think about hiring someone to do my ironing more than I think about getting a huge walk-in closet!!
#19 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM

We do a combo too. All of the boys' current-size clothes (with only like 3 nice shirts of the boys being the exception), are in dressers. Most of their next-size-up clothes are on hangers in their closet, with some folded and stacked underneath (mostly pjs).

All of my pants and t-shirts and such are in dressers. All of my skirts/dresses and the few "nice" shirts I have are hung up. Ditto for DH. We also hang most of our long-sleeve shrits just cause' we don't have space for them in the dressers.
#20 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM

Combination here. DH's suits, dress shirts & pants, My blouses, skirts & Ladybug's dresses get hung up. Everything else is either on shelves or in drawers. I find that knit sweaters stretch when hung and I don't particularly like the extra steps of hanging t-shirts, it's so much easier to fold out of the dryer and stick them in a drawer.
#21 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 AM

All of our t-shirts, shorts, my tank tops, and pj's are in drawers. Everything else is hung up. DH and I have separate closets and while I may have more clothes, his are much more bulkier than mine as he has 5 suits and tons of dress shirts and pants!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page