DH takes the kids away for a couple of days and what do I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Declutter, of course. I love sorting through stuff alone in my empty house. Hardly ever has happened. I used to get that time after they were all asleep, but now they're bigger and going to bed later and it just doesn't happen.

So I cleaned the garage (again), loaded up donations and recycling in the car, got rid of a bunch of stuff, went through bins and boxes and bags and all the stuff that sort of multiplies in the garage (right near the door, LOL).

After several years of being on the decluttering wagon, I have to say that it does get a TON easier over time. I feel like I'm mostly in maintenance mode now. I have a few projects that I'm not ready to tackle yet - a lifetime worth of photos, a huge box full of mismatched CDs and cases, and the ridiculous "to do box" that mostly I just keep paring down as things expire... There are things in "holding" in our garage that are legitimate, and DH has a bunch of stuff to sell that is tidy and he's not ready to go through yet, but...anyway...mostly it's just maintenance and being willing to say "enough is enough, I'm throwing this away" or whatever. I don't have a lifetime's worth of clutter in my house anymore; just things I have deliberately decided pass the "no-clutter test." I even cleaned out the junk drawer and decided I had better fill it up fast with something that truly needs storage so I won't be tempted to put junk in there anymore. LOL.

I was going in circles looking for a specific CD (no it wasn't in the CD-mess-box) and I ended up feelin great knowing that if I can't find it, it's because DH must have taken it with him. LOL. Because I know where things are and I know what is where and I know there is no other place it could be.

Oh, the joy. And to think, I got this done before the weather got too frigid to spend more than two minutes in the garage! Usually I wait too long and end up out there with fingerless gloves and three sweaters and a balaclava.

Oh, wait, there is one clutter area in the garage that I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm getting closer to being able to deal with it, and I have it down to a pretty small area. All in good time. It's also good to know when you've hit your limit so you don't drag stuff out and then be unable to really get through what you've dragged out.

Good luck to all in whatever decluttering projects you are working on!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your post has given me hope! I needed to hear that, that it gets easier, as I sometimes feel like no matter how much stuff I am tossing, I am still drowning in things! I only really started decluttering in earnest this year so I suppose I will get there.

SAHM to three

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page