Oh. Em. Gee. We are moving again!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved into this house in April. Thought it would be perfect for us. Now we are realizing that it's just not. Issues with the house, issues with the landlords, etc. A really nice house became available and we decided to take it.

Anyway.. we are moving again in a month. I have some serious decluttering to do before then. The house we are moving to is smaller than the one we are currently in and we need to get rid of unnecessary stuff.

I think I'm going to start in the bedroom that my girls share. There are still toys in boxes up there. Clearly they haven't missed those, right? And, oh, the clothes!!! I've been getting rid of everything that doesn't fit, has stains or holes, or just plain doesn't get worn but we still have a lot.

I really, really, really want to have a HOME before the holidays. I've never been good at decorating and making a house feel like a home but I'm finding myself nesting more than I ever have in my other pregnancies.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

ETA: The house we are moving into comes with a cleaning lady that cleans from top to bottom once a month!!!! So, I really need to keep it together so that she can actually do her job once we move in.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Aww.. nobody cares about my whining . Just kidding.

Did I mention this is move #5 in two years??

Any sources of country/rustic/homey home inspiration? 'I'm not talking like antlers and guns on the wall but more warm colors, pillows, nature inside, etc.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#3 of 7 Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

ugh, I don't envy you with all those moves and now another, esp when pregnant.. as for the decorating thing... check out this thread on making the house feel cozy.. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1260705
#4 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 PM

I think I'd lose my mind if I had to move that much!!

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned

this blog is great, and has a lot of great links for people who use junk and thrifted items to make their places home: http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ i really like her style!

i also like to decorate from nature. it's easy to do. we live near the sea (harbor city), so smooth stones, shells, beach sand, and driftwood is easy to come by. i also pick flowers, greenery, and so on, and bring those into the house. i use candles a lot as well.

in addition, going to junk shops--thrifting--for some items is really good, and when you move, unless you *love* the object, you can just drop it off at the shop! buying nifty items for under $5 that can make your place feel homey is fun, and then you don't feel like you are out a ton of cash when you redonate it.

and here's a tip. when you buy it, ask for a tax receipt. most thrift shops are connected to non-profit, charitable organizations, and therefore a purchase there is a tax deduction! when you donate the objects back, ask for a receipt for your donation, because then, you have *another tax deductible donation!* might as well.
#6 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's been a stressful couple of years. We are SO ready to find someplace that we can be in for a while!

I'm getting a little nervous though. I got verbal confirmation from the landlord that we could have the house and that she wasn't going to rent it to anyone else but I'm still waiting for her to call and tell me the lease is ready. I don't want to do anything drastic (like give our current landlord notice) until I have something in writing).

Still, no matter what happens we need to purge and organize so I've been working on that.

#7 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I feel your pain... I am anxiously waiting to hear back on an apt... I so need/want to move but every minute that ticks by makes me that much more nervous that I am going to get denied again... ugh...
As for decluttering and packing and moving... I seem to be a pro.

I tend to declutter best as I am packing. I will not pack it if we dont use it or need it. Then I re-do the process as I am unpacking at the new place.

I hope you hear back on the new home soon...

HUGS...

As for decoration.. Im clueless obviously...I would think warm shades for country but who knows...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page