How do you store coloring stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD1 is a colorer....she makes several art pieces a day. How do you store the crayons, markers, paper, etc. I have a DD2 who is 10 months so I would like a rolling cart perhaps to put everything away when she's done. Until DD2 was mobile, she could just put the stuff on a shelf but now it's obviously more important to get it all put away properly. Any suggestions?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM

I use a desktop organizer, similar to this. It may not hold all your coloring supplies, but I try to limit it so ds1 doesn't make a huge mess. It's easy to tote away when the baby's around then. For me, I would see a rolling cart = cool toy for a 10 month old We're short on space, so all I can spare is a bit of room on a top shelf somewhere. I also just designated a "big boy toy cabinet", which is the cabinet of our tv stand that has a child lock on it and holds stuff that only comes out when baby isn't around.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40037332

~I also just saw a cute idea to store art supplies or other non-baby toys in a suitcase (which a baby likely can't break open). I love these at Land of Nod, but obviously looking for a cheaper alternative
http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=1134&f=6429

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#3 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM

We have one of those coffee tables that has a shelf on the bottom. So I put a couple of large pads of paper and a few coloring books on the bottom shelf, and a little plastic container of crayons, colored pencils, etc. They're welcome to draw whenever they want but the crayons have to stay by the table. When the coloring books get too jagged I ditch them and put out a new one.

More complicated craft supplies are in one of those tackle box things in a closet; we only take those out for special crafting.

When they're older they'll have desks in their rooms to keep their stuff in. Right now they're still at the point where they'd draw on the walls if they had crayons in their rooms.
#4 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM

We use this. One drawer each for markers, crayons and colored pencils.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM

I have a rolling cart for my 4 year old's art supplies. My 1 year was far too fond of it and is quite the fan of eating crayons. I moved the whole art thing into DD1's bedroom. While she likes coloring in there I don't think she's too comfortable being exiled to her room so she ends up bringing paper and crayons into the living area.

I'm still at a loss as to how to make everyone safe and happy and not be always jumping to clean.
#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Scattered all over the house? No, that probably isn't a good answer. The girls do have a small 3 drawer, almost nightstand size, thing up in their room not being used. I may try to give it a coal of paint (maybe chalkboard?) and then use it to store art supplies.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page