tell me about your "home management binder" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what's in it? how do you section it? where so you keep it? how big is it? how do you use it?

I want to make one to help me feel more organized, I am already pretty organized but it is mostly in my head and on multiple lists in my purse or on the desk or in the car. I would like to have everything written down in one place.
#2 of 16 Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 AM

My what? Is that something most people have? I haven't heard of it before.

SAHM to three
#3 of 16 Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 AM

Im starting on mine right now, when Im done Ill take pictures.
Basically what Im looking at (subject to change):
Calander section in front: emergency contact information on front sheet (just in case), Monthly calander, daily to dos, monthly meal plan, blank sheet for notes/to gets from the store.
1st section: Personal/daily:daily schedule, daily list of to dos, Scripture list (what Im reading, I can't keep track of it. I remember what Im reading but don't ask me the page ),
2nd: Children: daily schedule, any plans not schooling related for the week, a page protector to put appointment slips, chore cards (yea, Im a mean mommy, my girls do chores)
3rd: Husband's section: anything he needs me to keep track of (I keep track of church related activities and he likes me not to ask him 20 times a month when he has duty ), page protector for any appointment slips so he doesn't lose them anymore.
4th: Household: Cleaning schedule, cleaning to dos by room (in case Im interrupted I can just go through the checklist instead of standing in the middle of the room thinking "whats next again??", household projects, page protector for any reciepts, maintenance slips etc.
5th: Financial: bank statements, bill statements, account balance, page protector for monthly reciepts
6th: Homeschool: monthly calander to keep track of any events we are going to, weekly plans, a page to list books to get/order from the library, page protector for event invites (we have been getting quite a few from the library lately, the new librarian is very homeschool friendly)
7th: Crafting: list of crafts to do, crafts started, things I need to get etc.
8th: cooking: recipes to try, quick sheets so I stop having to stand in the middle of the kitchen and think "how many teaspoons in a tablespoon again??"
9th: Personal inspiration: stories, articles etc

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 16 Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
My what? Is that something most people have? I haven't heard of it before.
Its suppose to help keep your life and house more organized. Ill tell you later if it works.. thats if I can get organized enough to make one

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 16 Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have one, but I keep losing it... things that should go in are spread about in my many other notebooks and bags... gotta work on that.
#6 of 16 Old 10-17-2010, 12:21 AM

This is what mine looks like - with list and pictures.

http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/...eeping-binder/

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#7 of 16 Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Its suppose to help keep your life and house more organized. Ill tell you later if it works.. thats if I can get organized enough to make one
Thanks!

SAHM to three
#8 of 16 Old 10-17-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post

Thanks for sharing! Lots of great ideas there.

SAHM to three
#9 of 16 Old 10-17-2010, 09:27 AM

If you do a search for "home management binder", 129 threads come up. If I were more savvy, I would link you to some of them. HTH!!

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#10 of 16 Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM

I made a homeschool planner binder last month and it has been so helpful. I am thinking of expanding it. I am not a very organized person by nature. But it has been so helpful!

I was thinking of adding a monthly chore list to pull from and add onto our week at a glance pages. I love the meals list idea! For now I am hopping to add meal and chore/cleaning planning onto the planning pages I use for homeschooling. This is still new to me and I am trying to keep it simple, and all the info on one double page.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#11 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM

I didn't start working on a home management binder until after I saw this thread. I have to say, it's coming along nicely!

I have a binder for my DD, who has a lot of medical issues and it's a similar concept. I have it all plainly laid out, in sections, so the nurses can get the info they need at any given moment.

So my house one has a pouch in the front with scissors, a highlighter, a gluestick, pencil, and pen. Then I have emergency info (phone #'s, #'s for gas and electric company, apt maintenence, ect).

My first section is all my apartment stuff....lease, community rules, ect.

Second section is for my car...title, copy of my registration, insurance, info, maintenance info, ect.

Third section is meals...list of easy, healthy meals I can make at a moment's notice with stuff I *usually* have on hand, shopping list (just an overview that will cover all my usual meals), measurment conversions, baking and cooking substitutions, blank calendar pages for meal plans.

Fourth section is finances...budget, bank statements, paycheck stubs, bills

Fifth section is chores...daily, weekly, monthly and blank calendars, blank to-do lists

sixth is "other"...energy saving tips, homeschool schedule, ect

I have a pocket for birth certificates and SS cards and a folder in the back for odds and ends. I'm looking to add in more sections, I just have to go buy the dividers.
#12 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 PM

subbing

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#13 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm subbing, too!

I actually have one that I started that needs MAJOR work!

bandgeek, I'm going to have to take a lot of your ideas!
#14 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Here's mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Q2oNdZ_-k

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#15 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't have any pictures of mine, sorry. I have one right now, but will be dividing it into two soon, one for recipes/meal planning/shopping lists and one for everything else. Eventually I'll probably add a third for homeschooling. We have a lot of medical stuff, so that takes up a good chunk of space.

Right now, mine starts with the daily routine, my daily prayers, and To Do List forms, then there's a goals section which really is more of a long term To Do List. Then there's a section for Meals, Medical, Bills, Other Business, and an address book. I made all my own stationary so it all matches. I also keep a zip pouch for coupons, my childrens health passports, and a lot of other stuff in there.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#16 of 16 Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post

How neat! I need to do something like this, I am terribly unorganized with stuff and papers every where, and having them altogether in a binder would be awesome.
Yours is really cute too!

Lisa, married to E since 9-16-2000, mother to DS A 3-23-2002 and DD J 6-11-2009.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page