FIVE boxes?!?! Seriously!?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have a dumping room in the basement. It's sort of a bonus room on the ground level of my little townhouse. When I moved in last year, the extra boxes and bins were neatly stacked. A year of box diving destroyed it down there!

Now I've got an elliptical and need a spot to put it that doesn't involve stairs. So I got a few cheap bins for storage and spent last night going through the boxes and either transfering them to bins or into goodwill boxes. The bins went into the back room neatly labeled. The goodwill boxes in garage. But ok..FIVE BIG BOXES! And it didn't take any work to do. That was after 2 years of hardcore decluttering. Apparently I found another layer. It's kind of embarrassing that I even have five big boxes of donate-able stuff that was so easy enough to find.

It always surprises me when I find another layer! But feels so good! Time to call for another goodwill pick-up and get rid of those boxes in the garage!
#2 of 6 Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that's great! The more we declutter, the better we get at it, and the easier it is to see how unnecessary things are. A couple of years ago, I doubt you would have been able to let go of that much stuff.
#3 of 6 Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Good job!!! The elliptical is already motivating you and making your life better!

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 6 Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I think that's great! The more we declutter, the better we get at it, and the easier it is to see how unnecessary things are. A couple of years ago, I doubt you would have been able to let go of that much stuff.
I was at it pretty hard the whole 2-ish years. But these were things that survived every purge. And they all moved with me in December last year. It's miles different from when I first started and always focused on the "but I spent $"/"but it might be useful!". I've gotten past that. If I haven't used it in YEARS and just keep shuffling it from storage box to storage box...it's outa here!!

I'm in the mood though. I've also been destashing my defunct etsy store. I sold some things at cost or less. And I'm donating a big pile of velours to a lovely woman who makes dolls for a living. I'm finding the hand-me-down-able clothes for my nephew and shipping that away. When I get in the mood, I can do a pretty good job. And I discovered a few years ago that it's a never ending job! But I'm doing SO much better than I used to! I kind of got my kick start by doing the pull-the-bandaid version. I would accept EVERY call when the good-will folks were doing pick-ups in my neighborhood. Then quickly run through the house and put together a donation. Each time, I thought I got everything. But the next time, I could quickly find another couple of boxes of stuff. Doing it one little layer at a time really helped break the emotional attachment. But this big fat layer in just a couple of hours still surprised me a bit!! Then again...I was dealing with the Room of Unpacked Boxes. If it didn't have a home in almost a year, it was on its way OUT!

And mkksmom, thanks! I didn't think about it that way! I'll have to remember that when I'm swearing while assembling it this weekend!!
#5 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Great work...I always pile up stuff to donate and then find myself not ever getting there...anyone else do this???
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastisbest2008 View Post
Great work...I always pile up stuff to donate and then find myself not ever getting there...anyone else do this???
ALWAYS! That's why I love living where I can schedule good-will pick-ups!! SO much easier to pile up the boxes in the garage and then move them outside the morning of pick-up!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page