Do you pass down underwear? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Between your own children? For what ages?

I ask because I pass down undies between my own kids, but probably only up to size 5T or so (the older kids undies seem a lot more worn out, plus, something about toddler underwear doesn't seem so squicky).

Just wondering about you. (Can you tell I just did a major underwear/sock drawer purge? )

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#2 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM

No, I don't. For some reason, I'm squiggy about that (but not about passing cloth diapers down for my own kids. : Go figure.)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM

I am so grateful to receive handed down undies from my cousin's children. The elastic is nicely stretched out, the cloth is soft, no more chemicals - I trust her laundering and my laundering, and I'm not too squeamish anyway.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM

With my own kids, in a heartbeat. I actually passed some nice Hannah Anderson's to a neighbor but I asked if she was OK. They were toddler sized and the younger neighbor was thrilled to be wearing my big girl's panties. But I'm not sure I'd TAKE used undies.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#5 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

I got some size 3T clean but preworn training panties from a lady in my playgroup. I am grateful for them because they're high quality and seem sort of specific. I think it would depend on who they are from and whatnot. I mean, I do use preowned cloth diapers.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#6 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Yep. Within the family, absolutely. No big deal. They all get washed in the same water, we share the same germs, and the same genes. My three boys are close enough in size that we just have one underwear drawer and they grab whatever's in there.

A cousin has passed down underwear to my kids, and that's not a problem for me either. I know the family, they live a reasonably hygenic life, and I just wash the things before I put them in the drawer.
#7 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Yes I do between my kids. They're 8 and 4 now and wear the same size so there's so mixing anyways because I can't ever remember who has what underwear. But with other people? No.
#8 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep, with all my kids. My 13yo is wearing my 18yo's too small underwear and he couldn't care less.
#9 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Within my family, yes.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Sure - I have 3 boys two years apart. They can even share the same sizes at times. I think I'd drive myself crazy trying to remember which undies belong to who.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Im glad Im not the only one! Especially in the smaller sizes I definetly do. There were undies I got DD1 when she started showing interest in the potty that she might have worn 2-3 times before I realized she needed the next size up. So now DD2 is starting to wear them at times. I don't think Ill pass them down to the third though, mainly because I don't think my husband would like his son to wear flowers and princesses.
I would be ok with it up until puberty then I would stop. Mainly because of staining and all, especially the first few cycles when girls are getting use to getting their cycles.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Yes, absolutely.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#13 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Before I had kids, I thought NO WAY! That's awful.
As a child myself, I always wore 2nd hand clothes, but never 2nd hand underwear so I guess that stuck with me.

But now I have two kids that wear a lot of the same size of clothing - underwear included.
I won't take 2nd hand underwear, but they share underwear between the two of them. It would be WAY too complicated to try and keep them separate.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#14 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 PM

never mind among my sons! my ds1 gets undies from his cousin! he will pass his down (and socks too) to his brother though ...

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#15 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
Between your own children? For what ages?

I ask because I pass down undies between my own kids, but probably only up to size 5T or so (the older kids undies seem a lot more worn out, plus, something about toddler underwear doesn't seem so squicky).

Just wondering about you. (Can you tell I just did a major underwear/sock drawer purge? )
My oldest daughter is 5, my younger one is 4. So far, we've passed down underwear. I just throw away the ones that are ripped or stained and Sophia gets what is left. My oldest wears size 6 and the younger one wears size 4.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#16 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 PM

I wonder if people who don't pass down underwear also don't re-use cloth diapers with subsequent babies. Because that seems grosser to me (and I did re-use them, just saying), since diapers are actually pooped and peed in, while underwear, generally, is not.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Yes, depending on condition of course. My girls are 2 & nearly 4 and will probably be in the same size in a year or two. I imagine they'll want their own new undies at that stage.
#18 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 AM

Before puberty (for girls) I see no issues in sharing. I've saved all of DD1's undies that are in good condition to pass on to DD2.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#19 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 AM

Yes I have to both my own kids and my sister's kids. They are high quality brands like Petit Bateau and Gap/Gymboree ones so it seems a shame to not get more use out of them!

Also my two daughters don't seem to be fussy, they will even wear each other's undies on occasion if I put them in the wrong drawer! ... it's not like they are dirty after all; they have been washed in a machine and dried outside in the sun, I always feel that the sun and fresh air is so cleansing compared to if they have been in a dryer.

SAHM to three
#20 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 AM

I would if I could but I have a dd and a ds so it wouldnt work

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#21 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I wonder if people who don't pass down underwear also don't re-use cloth diapers with subsequent babies. Because that seems grosser to me (and I did re-use them, just saying), since diapers are actually pooped and peed in, while underwear, generally, is not.
Exactly. I pass underwear down between kids. I have passed mama pads on to other mamas. And I have bought and sold used diapers and training pants - from (gasp) strangers.

If I thought my washing routine was not sanitary enough for other people's underwear, it wouldn't be sanitary enough for our family's underwear, yk?

Once we stopped washing diapers, I continued to wash handkerchiefs, kitchen cloths, family cloth, underwear, dishtowels, and socks with a more "sanitizing" routine than the rest of the laundry.

I see no problem with used underwear at all. My girls love getting hand-me-down underwear because sometimes it has better pictures than the underwear I am willing to buy! (Disney stuff...) We pass our outgrown undies down to cousins.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#22 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no problem with the idea, but since I have one of each it's not often that we do now they are old enough to have strong opinions on what they wear.

So far I have passed our good condition used ones onto the preschool for their spares pile. I'm not sure what I'll do with them when we are out of preschool sizes, it seems a shame to throw them out but I don't know many people that would accept them.

I was initially q bit squeamish about used nappies but it only took a couple of weeks before I got over it. I reasoned that I felt ones DD has pooed in were clean enough after being washed then any nappies I washed should be clean enough.
#23 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM

I do, or did. Dd2 has stopped wearing any that were her sister's, so now all get bought new, instead of just some.
#24 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 PM

I have a DS and a DD and an 8 year gap to boot, but I am squeamish about used underwear, so it would be a no. I know I'd rather go commando than wear someone else's used undies.

Lisa, married to E since 9-16-2000, mother to DS A 3-23-2002 and DD J 6-11-2009.
#25 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM

I usually buy new. The kids love being able to get new undies with fun charachters on them of their own. But I dont see anything wrong with it for younger children.
#26 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM

ds gets hand me down underwear from cousins, and while i am okay with it now, as they aren't in great shape, but not stained up or anything just a bit faded, i think once he hits school age i will be buying him new underwear. I have also bought used cloth diapers from strangers, so i don't think that it is any worse than that. Unless they are in great condition, after 4 years old i won't be taking them, and yeah pre-puberty of course, I don't really want any underwear hand me downs for ds or other children past size 8 or so. And he is already wearing size 6/8 at 4 so this is probably it for him.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#27 of 29 Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM

We do for younger ages, and my kids are both still little at the moment. With the learning to use the toilet the little ones need heaps of underwear so they dont wear out very fast. But with the older ages they have a lot less pairs and they stay in one size a lot longer, so they get a bit old and worn by the time they are outgrown. I only pass down good condition ones though even in the little sizes.
#28 of 29 Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 AM

This is one of the few things that my kids wouldn't pass down. I have twin boys and then a girl that is 21 months younger. She is verrrry picky about what undies she wears, so she wouldn't like theirs anyway. But my boys do share undies, since they are in the same size. THAT doesn't ick me out though?!
#29 of 29 Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But with the older ages they have a lot less pairs and they stay in one size a lot longer, so they get a bit old and worn by the time they are outgrown.
Maybe this is one reason I can hand mine down - I like to have a pile of underwear in each size so I never hear that a kid can't find any. LOL. There are definitely underwear casualties with each pass-down. I probably buy enough for two kids, for the first kid, and then there are more than enough survivors for the second kid (and maybe just enough for the cousin).

I am totally not icked out by it - I trust my washing routine. But YMMV.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page