Ideas for a homework/study room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a small dining room off the kitchen which I'd like to set up as a homework room for my 2 (7 & 5) kids. It's still close enough to the hub of the house - the kitchen - but still be a dedicated place to sit and read, color, homework, crafts....whatever.

I'd love to see pictures and hear ideas on if you have a room like this!

I have an Ikea nearby and a budget of a couple hunderd dollars, and a very handy husband

Thank you!!!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We ended up making a built in desk from components at IKEA as we couldn't find one the right size. They have a variety of tops and legs that you can mix and match, we especially like the adjustable height legs and would definitely think about them if you want to make something to grow with your children.

To one side of the desk we have a small cupboard, which used to be our changing unit. In there we have a set of little plastic draw for pens, paper-clips etc and a few filing trays with printer paper and so on. The printer lives on the top. I would prefer something like the trofast units but since we already had the cupboard we went with it.

As the room is also our spare bedroom we have a small futon too.

What has really helped make this room work is that we make sure the desk itself is clear, no desk tidies or anything are left on it. Everything must fit in the cupboard. IT makes it so much easier to get my sewing machine out, or even set up the laptop if I don't have to move several piles of paper and pots of pens.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would set up a table and chairs/benches/stools for homework, crafting, etc, and then have a cabinet (low or high) on one wall to store crafting supplies, homework stuff, books, whatever. I would also leave a shelf free--if possible--or use another space such as shelves--for things to dry/set.

then, everything can be put away, you can clean up quickly and easily, and still using it as a dining room if you wish.

User Tag List