Is there anything you own too many, too much of? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Without any remorse or guilt vintage Pyrex dishes in all colors. I squeal with delight when I find one I don't have and love the pattern. I use them all the time and display them on open shelves in my kitchen so they aren't ever useless.
#32 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Broken musical instruments.

We have a broken:
keyboard
dulcimer
concertina
guitar
erhu
A Chinese wind instrument that I don't know the name of
ukulele

The beauty of this is that none of us play any of these instruments. Dh will periodically have fantasies of taking up an instrument. He has zero time to learn to play anything. The instruments break. He steadfastly refuses to allow me to get rid of any of them. They take up a ridiculous amount of space and irritate me every time I see them.
#33 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 PM

I feel weird posting these things, because some of them are weird things to have too much of. LOL

-cross stitch patterns/floss/fabric...anything that goes with it
-jackets for my kids
-drinking glasses
-shoes for the kids
-books
-art supplies for the kids

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#34 of 39 Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
I feel weird posting these things, because some of them are weird things to have too much of. LOL

-cross stitch patterns/floss/fabric...anything that goes with it
-jackets for my kids
-drinking glasses
-shoes for the kids
-books
-art supplies for the kids
Really? The things you listed seem to be quite common to have too many of, if you read previous posts I think all these things have been mentioned except perhaps kids shoes.

Fabric has been mentioned a few times, nor sure about cross stitch patterns, but actually I have too many cross stitch supplies also, haven't done any for years though. Don't worry you are not alone!

EFmom...that would drive me nuts too, you may have to come up with some sneaky plan to get these broken instruments out of your house and life.

SAHM to three
#35 of 39 Old 10-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
EFmom...that would drive me nuts too, you may have to come up with some sneaky plan to get these broken instruments out of your house and life.
We also cannot store them out of the way in the basement or the attic, because it wouldn't be "good" for them. They are broken, for gawd's sake. So I have to look at them all the time.
#36 of 39 Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM

I would say I have more books than any other item. In the biggest purge we donated boxes and boxes full of them to the library, getting the number of books back down to what we consider a reasonable level, we have 3 matching bookshelves. I adore books but would be OK without owning hardly any of them if say we moved to that dream home by the beach or whatever

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#37 of 39 Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Broken musical instruments.

They take up a ridiculous amount of space and irritate me every time I see them.
This would irritate the bejeezus out of me as well. I have not mentioned the 30 (!) boxes of comic books in the basement that DH has never looked at in the 20 years I've known him. Most were stored on shelves and may be OK. But he ran out of shelf-space and the remainder were put on the floor where they have experienced flooding. So now they are rotting boxes of comics in the basement. But we were focussing on what I have too much of! 12 boxes of fabric and 12 boxes of yarn.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#38 of 39 Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM

To much stuff to fit into my little home!

I have to many:

-CD's
-nick nacks
-clothes
-bath and body stuff
-purses
-coffee mugs

I did get rid of some old make up last night and a bunch of lotions about 8 weeks ago. I had to make room for baby stuff! One purse did go into the donation box along with some clothes and CD's,but I still have a ton of CD's. I never listen to them so don't know why I can't get rid of them.
#39 of 39 Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess the definition of "too much" is highly personal. LOL! I have an "ample number" of lots of things, but I will use them until they disintegrate or break and simply won't have to replace them for a long time because I have more. Like socks, kitchen cloths, mugs.

I do have too many books and need to think about weeding them. (Operative word = THINK. Not ready to DO yet!)

I probably have too many empty but useful glass jars and bottles (in sets, of course) - but we want to make homemade (fillintheblank) someday and they will be perfect!

Too many sewing machines. I admit it that I own more than one. Leave it at that.

I think we have too many DVDs and videos, but DH insists that he watches them over and over.

We have too many CDs, but they are comfortably stored and we do enjoy many of them.

We have too many spare towels, but they are so USEFUL (like when someone is muddy or sick), and I have ample storage space for them, so I don't think of it as excess.

After Christmas we might have too many spare pillows. After a lifetime of never having enough, this won't feel too bad. Some people in the family might decide to have two on their bed instead of one. Really it will be a problem of not enough pillowcases, not too many pillows...

I'm not a minimalist in that I feel best when I have a spare or two of something that we'll eventually need a spare of. But I also don't keep stuff that we don't find personally useful or satisfying (and hardly anything that isn't functional in some way). So the multiples I keep do not usually equal excess in my mind.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page