Is there anything you own too many, too much of? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Through my many months of decluttering, I have realised I have particular weaknesses when it comes to spending and acquiring too much of certain things. It has been good to work out what I have spent too much on in the past, so I can change my ways.

Although I do get pleasure from some of these things, I definitely don't need to acquire any more in the near distant future!

It seems I have a weakness for all the following...

Lipsticks
perfume bottles
China and other collectables
books about art or craft
sketchbooks and blank journals
scrapbook and other craft supplies
soaps
body butters and moisturisers
candles
Manicure sets
summer tops
lingerie
nice kitchen gadgets

Anyone else have weaknesses for certain things? Please tell me I am not the only one!

SAHM to three
#2 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 AM

Duplo. My kids loove duplos (they're 8 and 5 yo girls) and spend lots of time building things. Unfortunately I love buying it for them and now I feel it gets rather out of hand. Take quite some time to put everything in 4 big boxes.
Children story books, also for my kids. However, I do think the problem is more of our limited space (1200 sq feet apartment).
#3 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 AM

fabric
random vintage kitchen sh!t

those are the things i have too much of but have no interest in decluttering, lol!
#4 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 AM

Yeah, ok, I'll fess up!

Scrapbooking supplies and kits
cds & dvds
baby girl clothes
kitchen items, especially baking pans
books???
toys

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#5 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 AM

Perfume and books, and sewing stuff, though I've gotten rid of probably eighty percent of the sewing stuff. I've been doing a pretty decent job of getting rid of other categories. (That's not to say that we don't still have too much junk, but it tends to be "didn't think to get rid of it" junk, rather than collection junk.)
#6 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 AM

fabric - I use my sewing maching about once a year, so no excuse for this! Recently I have had to put the fabric store off limits.

work gloves - an odd thing to have like 20 pairs of work gloves for 2 people. I am not quite sure how this has happened, and how given the situation dh can go out and destroy his hands every day by not wearing gloves.

I was looking at the art stuff today and think maybe I need to stop buying it - how
many sets of crayons do we actually need (admitedly, only one set is whole at any one time)? and how many coloring books? We have a "one item" rule when dd and I go to the grocery store or hardware store, and it seems like a choice between plastic crap and art supplies, so, I usually steer her towards those. Tricky.
#7 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Books and kitchen/cooking stuff

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#8 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wallabi, I think you're the first person with a work glove fetish I've heard of.

- fabric
- books?
- Playmobil and Lego (My children don't agree though. I don't know why that would be.)
- clothes (I finally need to apply the "1 in - 1 out" rule.)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#9 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Coats and jackets. I have to have the perfect jacket for each of us, light rain coat, heavy rain coat, light fall jacket, middle weights fall jacket..you get the idea. Its a mess. BUT I am always dressed just right and I really think it makes my time outside more enjoyable.
Now I just have to find a way to store it all!
#10 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Children's books and clothes are a weakness for me. I buy very little, but those are the things that are toughest to resist. I just bought my dd about 5 or 6 books from the Scholastic Book Club. But she did agree to let go of 20 books that I also agreed to let go of. I vetoed about 10 because I'm a teacher. Some of them were from my classroom library and some I want for her little sister.

I've been searching the net for the perfect Christmas dresses for the girls as well.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#11 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM

"Sparkly things" as my husband says. I love all things glass.

Stemware. I could open a restaurant. But, there have been times when I've used almost all of it in an evening. And I have this thing where all the stemware for a course HAS to match, regardless of how many people are at the table. So when I buy, I have to buy in groups of 10 or 12, at least. OCD much?

Martini glasses. Different from stemware. I probably only have about 60 glasses right now but we throw an annual martini party.

Port Glasses. Oh my gosh, I went through this phase where I was breaking them constantly and Tuesday Morning had them on clearance. Lead crystal ones for $2 a stem. Yeah, I have a lot.

I've cut myself off from buying sparkly glass vases. I love glass vases, especially colored glass. I don't have enough tables to display them.

Christmas ornaments.
Specifically, glass ball ornaments. Oh boy. I try to only buy a couple each year. When we got our new tree I thought I wasn't going to have enough since it was so big. HA! I shouldn't have worried. I have 4 trees and more than enough to decorate them.
#12 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Fabric
Vintage kitchen stuff
candles
#13 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Children's books
Books on parenting [specially natural, AP parenting. I'm addicted!]
Candles [I have a drawer full of them BUT they are used daily]
Beautiful children's clothing
Lego's [DD and DH have a "Lego Table" and I constantly buy sets when they are on sale, but it's their bonding thing!]

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#14 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
"Sparkly things" as my husband says. I love all things glass.

Stemware. I could open a restaurant. But, there have been times when I've used almost all of it in an evening. And I have this thing where all the stemware for a course HAS to match, regardless of how many people are at the table. So when I buy, I have to buy in groups of 10 or 12, at least. OCD much?

Martini glasses. Different from stemware. I probably only have about 60 glasses right now but we throw an annual martini party.

Port Glasses. Oh my gosh, I went through this phase where I was breaking them constantly and Tuesday Morning had them on clearance. Lead crystal ones for $2 a stem. Yeah, I have a lot.

I've cut myself off from buying sparkly glass vases. I love glass vases, especially colored glass. I don't have enough tables to display them.

Christmas ornaments.
Specifically, glass ball ornaments. Oh boy. I try to only buy a couple each year. When we got our new tree I thought I wasn't going to have enough since it was so big. HA! I shouldn't have worried. I have 4 trees and more than enough to decorate them.
ChristyMarie - Where do you STORE all these glasses? We have a decent-sized kitchen & pantry closet, and our wedding glasses (and some pre-wedding glasses) are all in boxes in the basement. We own 2 port glasses, and no martini glasses.

I have too many prepared foods (gluten-free mixes, sauce packets, jars of chutney). We're in a routine where we eat the same 5-6 dinners, and my time for trying new foods to prepare eat is VERY limited, but yet I'm drawn to making these types of purchases. Ironically, my desire to have less "stuff" and clutter draws me to purchase consumables. We just don't get around to consuming them. Example: on a trip to Charleston, SC, we visited a former rice plantation, so our souvenir from that trip was a bag of SC-grown rice. We haven't eaten the rice yet, and the trip was over 2 yrs ago.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#15 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
ChristyMarie - Where do you STORE all these glasses?

All of the crystal ones fit in glass faced cabinets in my kitchen.

Then I have all the non-crystal ones in cabinets over my bar in the family room. Easy access for parties.

Martini glasses are all on display shelves in the library - some upright, some hanging.

I do have about 6 dozen in carry boxes in the wine cellar - but I bought those to travel to other houses for our wine club so it makes sense to keep them packed and ready to go.

I still have space in cabinets over my basement bar should I feel the need for more.
#16 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Condiments. I like to cook, but don't have as much time to as I did before DS was born (duh!). So I have cooking wines, sauces, etc. in the fridge and pantry cupboard that are often specific to just one recipe... that I'll never again have time to make!

Like a PP, I love coats. I don't have a HUGE amount, maybe 10-12 including my running gear. But I love and wear them all, so weeding through for something I haven't worn in a while is next to impossible. At least they're all quality items, generally pretty fashion neutral, that won't wear out anytime soon.

Gymboree baby clothes from ebay. I have to stop. I have almost an entire wardrobe for DS of Gymboree shirts, onesies, rompers, and hoodies. I justified it by purchasing it all at dirt-cheap prices... But he has enough outfits to last 2+ weeks. They're just so freakin' cute that I can't help myself, especially the hoodies. I love hoodies...

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#17 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Another Gymboree addict here and both of my kids have way too many coats. I can't resist a good deal on a nice coat.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#18 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM

I have issues with Gymboree, too (and Janie & Jack... and Gap). We have too many clothes, for sure. But yet, I can't stop buying!! Our spare room is now a 'family closet' with 8 clothing racks set up, if that tells you anything.

Toys are also a problem. We could stand to get rid of 75% of it. I keep saying I am going to do so, but I put it off b/c I don't want to take the time. Then I get frustrated with the volume of toys spread around the house. sigh.

eta: I have too many hoodies, too. I counted like 22 boy ones recently. It's too hard not to buy the coordinating hoodie for new outfits, and yet, I have several still NWT hanging up. I am actually excited b/c today and yesterday morning it was cool enough to justify wearing hoodies.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Perfume. But not just any perfume. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I have more than I will ever wear, especially since I apply so lightly. And there are some that I have that smell horrid on me, but I cannot bear to get rid of because they are associated with something I love.
I am trying VERY hard not to buy more right now... I can resist most updates, but these few weeks when Halloween and Yule are up together, and now scents based on The Last Unicorn... it's hard. Very, very hard.
Compared to my BFs, I have a ton of perfume. Compared to some local BPAListas, I hardly have any. I am always torn between the urge to collect and the urge to be practical - buy what I'll use, and use what I have.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#20 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM

hand me downs for ds. I know it isn't one specific thing, but I sometimes wish i wasn't the dumping pile for everyone's hand me down boy stuff. I get tired of getting it, going through it several times, forgetting about it and then ds outgrows it before he wears things. Mainly hand me down clothes and toys. All kids are different in their style and toys/books preferences. Ds spends hours playing with dinosaurs, his trio blocks, and match box cars-none of which are hand me downs. I've about had it though, I've finally gotten to the point where i chuck the clothes i don't like to a donation box, i am getting ready to start with the toys and books as well. I am just getting overwhelmed with them.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#21 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

All of the crystal ones fit in glass faced cabinets in my kitchen.

Then I have all the non-crystal ones in cabinets over my bar in the family room. Easy access for parties.

Martini glasses are all on display shelves in the library - some upright, some hanging.

I do have about 6 dozen in carry boxes in the wine cellar - but I bought those to travel to other houses for our wine club so it makes sense to keep them packed and ready to go.

I still have space in cabinets over my basement bar should I feel the need for more.
bolding mine

Well, this explains things. Once our East Wing has been renovated, we should have plenty of space for glasses.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#22 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Once our East Wing has been renovated, we should have plenty of space for glasses.
But of course! Everyone knows east wings are simply the place for glassware storage.

Truth be told, I probably have a wee bit more storage and cabinet space than the average house.

I also have way too many Christmas trees to the point where I'm wondering if my husband will notice if I put up 5 instead of 4 this year. I brought another one home (it was my mom's) and he hasn't yet noticed but it is still in the garage. I'm thinking I can play the "oh no honey, we've had that for years" unobservant-husband routine.
#23 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 04:16 PM
LZP

Way too many little girl clothes; though mostly thrifted, consignment-shopped, or handed down to us, we have FAR more than our DD _or any future DDs_ will wear! Our cedar closet, built just before DD was born is now FULL. and she is 3MO. I already need 2nd bins for certain sizes. it's a problem- I can't pass up a "great deal" on quality clothing!!

lipsticks- me too! However, I hardly even wear lipstick, but keep buying them, thinking- "Maybe I'll like this one enough to wear it?" invariably, i wear for a few days, then it just collects dust in the drawer.

spatulas. It's not even a huge variety, mostly the same size and composition. I use all of them, but could 100% function with 1/8 of the stock! I just can't get rid of them, because they all work well. I actually NEED a new smaller one, and can't justify buying it since the drawer is bursting with spatulas!

diaper-making fabric. i have NO time to sew anymore. maybe someday. that stuff isnt cheap!

fabric scraps/recycled fabrics- see above, except I justify keeping because, "it's a free source of fabric!!" um, i dont use the good stuff.

kitchen linens. I am out of room to store them, and had to start sorting by season and storing with seasonal decor! (they are not really "seasonal" just had to cycle them through somehow. My aunt likes to buy me really nice kitchen towels... often... ?

spices. DH is a picky eater, and doesnt love strong spices anyway. I love to cook and love spices, and somehow buying new, fresh spices and putting them into the little matching containers makes me *almost* as happy as using them in our food.

kitchen gadgets- my MIL gives me at least one per holiday, and many randomly throughout the year. they are usually "as seen on TV," and generally not useful. i feel bad getting rid of all of them, so i keep some. I also like to buy for myself- real, functional, quality gadgets. those i dont feel guilty about keeping.

candles. just so.many.candles.

Oh, and socks... more socks than I can ever wear. I modified some into babylegs. not enough though!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#24 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahgirl View Post
Coats and jackets. I have to have the perfect jacket for each of us, light rain coat, heavy rain coat, light fall jacket, middle weights fall jacket..you get the idea. Its a mess. BUT I am always dressed just right and I really think it makes my time outside more enjoyable.
Now I just have to find a way to store it all!
Me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
Condiments. I like to cook, but don't have as much time to as I did before DS was born (duh!). So I have cooking wines, sauces, etc. in the fridge and pantry cupboard that are often specific to just one recipe... that I'll never again have time to make!
Yep!

We also have too many dishes, like 24 place settings. It comes in handy at Thanksgiving, but beyond that, it just gives me an excuse to dirty too many dishes before running the dishwasher.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#25 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Art supplies for DS.
School supplies (we homeschool)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#26 of 39 Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well it seems I am certainly not the only one...phew what a relief!

SAHM to three
#27 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM

I have a doll collection of about 60? dolls I've been trying to pare and sell off and sent away about 40 more. I need to pare further but I'm currently at a standstill. I'd like to contain all my dolls in 1 cabinet, but that means some tough decisions.
Craft supplies are an irresistable draw for me, but I have no time to use them. I finally decluttered a whole bunch on craigslist.
Fabric - and I haven't used a sewing mashine in years
Nail polish, makeup and perfume - although I am decluttering it succesfully. I wear makeup maybe 3 times a year.
Baby clothes - but I am doing better at containing mysefl.

I am actually pretty good at giving away and getting rid of stuff, but I like to shop.
DH is a packrat though, and he likes to shop too, so it's a constant struggle to keep him contained in his mancave, and don't get me started on the garage.

For a little while I was buying baby carriers like crazy, but I think I'm currently stashisfied. I do have too many.

sleepytime.gif
#28 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Fabric and yarn are a given. I've cut myself off. I have thing for coats and come to think of it, I guess it does extend to DD. She wears tank tops all year long, but layered under a sweat jacket, so she has a lot of them. DH bought home random dishes of all kinds from a sample sale at work. I consigned a bunch of them, but we still have too much. I need to get rid of some of them. Come to think of it, I have 2 sets (no 3 if I count the plastic) of dishes in the kitchen and then the "china" in the dining room.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#29 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Books are my collection, so I don't feel I have too many though I do have a very modest personal library.

I have too many socks I hate. In general, I have too many clothes I don't wear, though I don't think I have too many clothes. I just want different ones since mine are all faded and torn.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#30 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Clothes, comic books, and movies. Same goes fro DH. The thing is that we don't own much otherwise so we're okay with those being out splurges and things we "collect".

~Kyra~ TTC #3
Wife to PJ, Mom to Jake and Summer. APing, BF advocating, comic book loving vegetarian Booninite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page