s/o Staying simplified in larger homes: 2000sqft+ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zoebird does have one very good point - the longer you let it go, the longer it takes you to clean it. A quick swich of the sink/counter every day and your bathroom is easier to clean at the end of the week, that kind of thing.

Also, where are your cleaning supplies? If you have a caddy for them you can easily carry from room to room it makes things much easier. I tend to take it from floor to floor, put it in a central location then get all the dusting done at once, then all the glass, etc. I have a separate caddy for the bathrooms - they need to be cleaned more often than the coffee table needs to be dusted so that works for me.
#32 of 44 Old 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Zoebird does have one very good point - the longer you let it go, the longer it takes you to clean it. A quick swich of the sink/counter every day and your bathroom is easier to clean at the end of the week, that kind of thing.
I don't really agree. It's not like clutter that is going to take longer the more stuff that collects, or an oven that bakes more gunk on with each use, or the kitchen floor. It's no more difficult to wipe off a week's worth of grime from the sink than it is to wipe off a day's worth. So by doing it once a week you're saving 6x however long it takes you. And for vacuuming or dusting, even a couple of months worth of dust on carpet still requires the same time and effort with the vacuum or duster.
#33 of 44 Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have a huuuuge house, but it's 2000 sq ft. we only live in half of it, really (it's a raised ranch) - the downstairs [second] kitchen is mostly used as storage, as is the downstairs "family" room, I'm embarrassed to say. My problem is clutter. I've been diligently ditching bags of stuff the past few weeks I've sent a lot of junk out of my house, but I really relate to the idea that having space makes it possible to defer decisions until half your house is buried! Why did I not junk this stuff ages ago?? well, because i had the space to store it, instead. *sigh*

Anyway, subbing.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#34 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

texmati:

my post was not to call you out, but to encourage you that you can do it! and, i truly remember myself of 2-3 years ago feeling exactly the same!

what helped me was 1. accepting that i had to do the work (if i wanted it done, i had to do it. DH was never going to--and still doesn't--and quite frankly, i didn't have money for a cleaning person and whatever else. so, if i wanted to live that way, *I* had to do it.); 2. making it work for me (daily chores plus on-going tidying work best for me.)
; and 3. cleaning is focusing on my family because i noticed that when the house was clean and organized, we were more relaxed, more creative, and overall happier. when the house was a mess, I was stressed and so was everyone else. So, a clean house equals a happy, peaceful family, and I had the power to do that.

this is just a consciousness shift on my part, mind you. if it doesn't resonate with you, no biggie.

Certainly, though, time constraints are everything. i forget that you work also! that makes it triple hard! because, in my experience, you are exhausted after work, and you don't want to come home to work some more!

And, i definitely think that you can do it!

I don't know what you need to have in terms of simplifying, as everyone defines that differently and there are lots of suggestions already. One of my favorites is "everything has a place." If everything has a place, you are less likely to end up with spots that just end up cluttered. And, this sets up for that which will really simplify things for you: tidying.

by just taking about 10-20 minutes in your evening to tidy up--after dinner, before bed, whatever--then your house will feel clean and organized, and on the weekend you can do your deep cleaning over 2-4 hours depending upon the help you get and such.
#35 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
the majority of the work falls onto me. which is ok, ultimately, because then I decide how we live. LOL
Yeah that!

Penny just dropped for me....I knew there was a good reason for why I keep doing all the work despite resistance to helping me round here.

SAHM to three
#36 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

I see lists like RuthieGirls above, and feel so defeated. It would take me so long to vacum or dust or do all 3 bathrooms. (or maybe not that long-- maybe I"m being a baby!) Our first apartment was 1300 sqft, by the time you started cleaning, you were done!
Oh, please do not get defeated my my list. I have half the space you do and I admit to being very loose with my definition of 'clean'. I am not a thorough housekeeper. I am a busy mom who is completely satisfied with a half assed job. 'Good enough' is a commonly heard phrase in my house.

And if I had the money, I would hire a housekeeper. I hate housework. Hate it. I do only what needs to be done. I just push through the worst dirt, get the place shaped up a bit and then go on to live my life.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#37 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm subbing, we have a 2000 square foot house, so it's not BIG but it's biggER, yk?

Definitely taking notes

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#38 of 44 Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
I don't really agree. It's not like clutter that is going to take longer the more stuff that collects, or an oven that bakes more gunk on with each use, or the kitchen floor. It's no more difficult to wipe off a week's worth of grime from the sink than it is to wipe off a day's worth. So by doing it once a week you're saving 6x however long it takes you. And for vacuuming or dusting, even a couple of months worth of dust on carpet still requires the same time and effort with the vacuum or duster.
Well, putting clutter away when it builds to five items takes a lot less time than waiting until it is a pile of 25.

I find that cleaning a thin layer of dust is easier and much quicker than a thick one. Example: cleaning the intricate chair rail in my dining room once a week is probably a 90 second job with a feather duster. Let it go and it will require a rag, possibly a toothbrush and a bucket of murphy's oil soap. Not to mention elbow grease as the dust settles into those nooks and crannies. Window ledges are the same way. A quick swipe once a week or an intense job once a month. Not worth it to let it wait.
#39 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM

i've found larger homes easier to keep clean.
i've never been one to keep lots that needed to be thrown out, more paper clutter that needs to be filed.

i've been in very tiny apartments to large homes. i'm great at keeping a large house uncluttered. not so great with tiny apartments. a big issue is getting the right furniture to fit an apartment.

as for cleaning. i don't use all the space in a large house. i would love to find a 2 br home, but it's all large 4 br homes that have the extras my dh insist on (like a large basement). like bathrooms. my family needs 1 shower and 2 toilets. no matter how many we might have, that's all we use and all i clean. our last house we had 2 showers that were never used. dd has used the fancy whirlpool tubs a couple of time, but mostly i rinse/dust it once a month and life is good.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#40 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Well, putting clutter away when it builds to five items takes a lot less time than waiting until it is a pile of 25.

I find that cleaning a thin layer of dust is easier and much quicker than a thick one. Example: cleaning the intricate chair rail in my dining room once a week is probably a 90 second job with a feather duster. Let it go and it will require a rag, possibly a toothbrush and a bucket of murphy's oil soap. Not to mention elbow grease as the dust settles into those nooks and crannies. Window ledges are the same way. A quick swipe once a week or an intense job once a month. Not worth it to let it wait.
But it's going to take you exactly the same amount of time for each item that's in that spot. If you do it at each five items, it might take 20 minutes per session, at 25 it will take an hour and 20 minutes in one session. Although, come to think of it, if there's five books in the pile it's more efficient to take them all at once, so you save time there, too.

Your dust must be different to mine. Mine all takes a swipe with a damp microfiber cloth no matter how long its been (and we're talking a good year or more on top of wall-hung picture frames or window or door trim).

Speaking of which, I need to go and clean the unused bathroom, which is pretty much just dusting.
#41 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM

just wanted to come back and updated... I totally didn't mean to derail the thread. I have just been so frustrated lately between the disconnect between what I"m able to do physically, and what I want to do.

I'm a slob by nature. My nesting instinct is kicking in, I think, and for the first time in my life I feel satisfaction at having a clean space, but between spd, the job, the 1yo, the pregnancy it's not as easy as it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Oh, please do not get defeated my my list.
Totally not your fault! If it works for you, it works for you! I guess I just posted that because it seems those lists would be much easier to execute in a smaller space-- it seemed relevant to the discussion. I could have defnitely phrased it in a more upbeat way.

I think I'm going to redouble my efforts to keep certain rooms closed off; and
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
texmati:

my post was not to call you out, but to encourage you that you can do it! and, i truly remember myself of 2-3 years ago feeling exactly the same!
zoebird, thanks for the encouragement. I do agree that making it a priority and spending time after it is definitely one part of the solution. I also think there are 'institutional' things that can be done-- 'rules'; only brush your teeth in the master bathroom, no toys outside of the living room... what have you that can help with managing a larger home.

Reading your post, I realized that housework probably will never fall on the top of my list-- not trying to sound holier than thou-- I don't mean that I 'always put my family first'. I mean that tonight I will most likely have one free hour that I can use to either cook, watch the new episode of my fav tv show with dh, sew up blankets for the new baby or vacuum. I think I just have to be ok with the consequences of the fact that my butt will most likely be on that couch.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#42 of 44 Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
Reading your post, I realized that housework probably will never fall on the top of my list--
LOL, I am the same way. If there is any way to afford it, I'd suggest hiring a weekly housecleaner. Even just to do bathrooms, kitchen, and floors. Or even twice a month. IMO, there is nothing wrong with paying someone to do that work.

My own homes have been small spaces (and currently getting smaller, we're getting ready to move into something like 550sf) but I grew up in- and am temporarily living at- my parents' house of about 2000sf. When they hired their weekly maid it made a HUGE difference in the state of the house (I used to have to wash my feet before I went to bed b/c they were black from all the soot that accumulates on the floors). Of course they still do daily pickup and chores, but it reduces the drudgery of it greatly. My mom says it was great for their marriage.

dissertating mom to three

#43 of 44 Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 AM

This has been interesting to read - thanks everyone!

We currently live in ~1000 sq ft (plus cellar/basement) but on Monday should find out if our offer on a 2000 sq ft, plus unfinished basement, home has been accepted.

I am so excited. The children's rooms will not be that much larger and their closet space will be comparable. The master bedroom has two closets and both bathrooms have closets. The house has one additional space (family room) that we do not have right now so the ability to have the space for a place for everything and everything in its place is something I'm really looking forward to, provided it all works out!

I've never gotten around to hiring someone but love the idea of twice a month cleaning of the bathrooms, kitchen, and floors. It would make a huge difference!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#44 of 44 Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

those institutional rules can definitely help! and, they become habitual after a while.

and, i'm the same. sometimes, i just choose not to do something, kwim? like, i'd much rather watch a movie than do the dishes *again*.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page