What do you do with inbetween clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so before DS I was a size 16, after he was born I slimmed down to size 6. Pregnant again.

I don't want to get rid of any of my clothes since I have no idea what size I'm going to end up after this baby (or the hypothetical next )

What do you all do?

I have like four different wardrobes right now, and I don't want to waste money having to buy new every inbetween pregnancy...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Before DS2, I was a size 8. Before DS1, I was a size 10. Both times, I held on to my clothes and worked my butt off to get back in to them. After DS1 was born, I became I size 8 and now after DS2, I'm a size 6. So, I was only able to wear what I held on to for a short amount of time. I've since sold what I can no longer wear to buy clothes that actually fit me. Also, after each babe was born, I was yoga and active pants quite a bit - good for transitioning.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I don't hold onto clothes unless either 1) Im pregnant and know I will wear them again or 2) they are "timeless" pieces. I find that what I liked at one time might not be something I would wear later on. I remember going through my premom clothes after having DD1 and thinking "Whats the use of this? How am I going to crawl around with her or chase her at the park" and out it went. Basically I only keep plain skirts (I wear skirts exclusively unless Im doing an activity that would be dangerous/immodest in a skirt like repelling or rock climbing) plain tops and jackets. Most of the rest I gave to frineds/thrift stores. Luckily I wear a size thats easily found thrifted or on clearance non pregnancy so I can get clothes again cheaply.

Basically, keep the universal pieces, your favorite peices or things that are comfortable for many sizes (stretchy pants, skirts with elastic waists etc) and ditch the rest. I think all my non-maternity clothes Im still either wearing (yea, I can still wear them at 26 weeks, I don't pop much out until I reach the 3rd trimester) or fit into one small space saver bag in the closet.

If you really want to save them, space saver bags are great. Thats how I have all the baby clothes storaged. They are kept dry and away from the bugs that way and they take up less space.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM

I just kept some favorites for 2 different sizes. Black pants, khaki pants and a pair of jeans. Then a few tops. I am so glad I kept the pants because I do wear them now. The khakis I've had for about 9 years, and I just love them.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 9 Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
am still keeping some clothes from 12 years ago (3 sizes down), went through a large box recently ...I've changed since I became a mom, so some of the colors/styles I don't like anymore or now feel "it's not me/no longer me"

but on the other hand I really like the convenience of not having to run around many shops when I do loose a little bit of weight every now and then & to be able to instead "shop from home/my stash"

so I think that a possible compromise could be to keep about 5-6 outfits in each size + use these space bags from which you "vaccum" air before sealing.

you don't want to have to buy everything at a new size and it can be costly too
you might also wish to get a few current fashion items for each size as you loose weight
(although, after finishing breastfeeding my second child ... for quite a while and making do with separates I already had , I wanted to treat myself to a few dresses ... but there was NOTHING in shops that I liked at all that year !!!!)
#6 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I was pregnant I decluttered my prepregnancy wardrobe and got rid a few things. I held on to a lot of my prepregnancy clothes, a couple garbage bags in the back of my closet. It took several months after I had my son before I fit into my prepregnancy clothes again. I took a few things out here and there that I was so glad to have, like jeans that "fit" and looked good on me. Meanwhile, my nice jackets and many of my shirts took several months more to fit. I'm glad I didn't toss them, though, deciding they wouldn't fit my new mom figure, as now they look great on me. There are some shirts that were a little small to begin with, that especially don't fit me now, even though I'm below my prepregnancy weight.

Recently I decluttered my entire closet and dresser, keeping only what currently fits and a few select "in between" items that I really loved having this time around: a few pairs of jeans that I felt really good in. I figure that as long as I have some basic pieces I feel good in, I can pick up a few complimentary items fairly cheaply. It's important to feel good about oneself in that "in between" stage.

I do have a bag of maternity clothes saved for future pregnancies.
#7 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Before I got pregnant I was a size 14. After him he went up to 24. Yeah. I've now lost 50lbs and I'm down to 18 and we're TTC currently. I've gotten rid of all my in between clothes. Mostly because we don't have the space for them.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Keep maybe at least half? Of things that will still be ok in a couple years. Like jeans, bras, sweaters, etc. Things that are 'pricy'. Sell or consign anything that is marketable right now, becuase in 2 years, they won't be anymore. Keep a couple 'business' type items, in case you need to do interviews or other things you need to dress up for. Something you may be able to wear this pregnancy.

#9 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM

I do have a few boxes of other size clothes in the attic. But I try to only hold on to the ones love.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page