Getting help from a Professional Organizer - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever hire a pro to come and help you get organized? I am considering it because I get down the the miscellaneous crap and I never get past the point of having boxes, baskets and bins of this crap. My brain just seems to get over-loaded and the deferred decision clutter is my worst enemy. I'd love to read about someone's experience going through the process with a pro. Any blogs out there like that or first-hand experience?

I'm also considering having someone help me clean-- not the scrubbing the counters, stove, bathrooms, floors type of cleaning, but the picking up, putting away laundry kind. I haven't sat down to figure out what I want or can afford yet, but with the very little sleep I am getting with a 1 YO, I need help.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned

i would recommend it.

a friend of mine is a professional organizer, and she is amazing. it's one part therapy, one part organization. it's amazing what it can do for you if you hit a wall.
#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM

i haven't, but i would love to.

i have had my wonderful aunt help me. her house is organized, tidy and well-decorated, yet comfortable because she's not a freak about it. she loves to problem-solve and is completely non-judgemental, so it wasn't stressful at all. it was fun! we brought tons of stuff to the thrift store, put larger items out on the curb, cleaned, organized . . . it was a couple of years ago and i would love to do it again.

if i could do it with a professional, i would. my dad offered that to me once, as a birthday gift or something, but then for whatever reason it never happened. that would be a little more stressful for me - i guess i have house-related shame or something, but i would suck it up because it would be worth it for the amount of improvement.

regarding picking up the house on a regular basis, with a one-year-old in tow . . . do you want help picking up, or help with your baby? i always felt like, if someone would just amuse my boys for a few hours (outside the house), i would be able to get the house looking good *and* then i'd get a little quiet time to myself!
#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... that's a good question. Normally, I think having someone come and take the baby for a bit while my older dd is in school would be a big help. However, the baby's sleep has been worse lately, and even with 2 naps a day of at least an hour each, I just don't have the energy. I can't wait until she starts sleeping better. After each tooth, we tend to get a little break and I get a lot more done. However we on on tooth number 4 right now. There are a lot to go. We're all sick with a nasty cold too, but I was just looking to get through this rough patch with some extra help.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would like to have a professional organizer come in to help us figure out the best use of space for our 1000 sq ft home. But I'm not sure that there's any point, as we can't afford new furniture or products to help us actualize said space. I think we manage well, now, but I can see a lot more potential and would love a professional's opinion.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#6 of 6 Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

typically, an organizer will help you organize with what you have.

my friend is really good at consolidating. it's not really about new furniture or products, and she also is good at finding bargains for when that is a necessity. but part of her process is trying not to bring new things in, but really let go of most things that you don't need.

so, here is her basic process, as far as i understand it.

first, she goes in and gives an analysis of what she is seeing in the space. this involves, btw, a lot of talking. she asks a lot of questions about how you use the space, what your thoughts are on what you have, how you feel about your home, how you want it to feel, and so on.

then, she spends some time in the space without you. at this point, she's really looking at what you have and how you are using it. As an example, she just did a home where the client said she just didn't have enough storage to be organized. well, what my friend discovered is that she had a lot of storage, but she wasn't utilizing it well. So, she made a list of what the person already had, so that those things can be utilized most effectively.

the next step is actually decluttering. when you have figured out what you want to keep, she then goes through what storage you have to organize it. and then organizes it that way.

when there isn't a clear way to organize those things, she actually gets very thrifty. as an example, she helped a woman organize her pantry. admittedly--like our pantry--the space is large, but it's difficult to use because things get pushed to the back, tossed around, etc. so, it gets disorganized quickly. most people might assert that you should run out and get these kinds of organization boxes or those sorts of drawer things (like at ikea, which are great if you can afford them).

but my friend's idea was even more simple: old shoe boxes. she had some old fabric and grabbed those old shoe boxes and wrapped them up. each one was then labelled, and then spices in one, dry goods, etc, so that they were easy to pull out and use. Sure, not as durable as others, but functional and easy to replace if one breaks down. and, best of all--free!

sometimes, it's just about looking at your storage in new ways, too. for example, i used to have a dresser for DH, one for me, and one for the baby. now we are all in one--because i put the clothes we use in there, and streamlined our wardrobe down. then, i had a lot of extra drawers around. i could put other things in them (now, i don't even own them, because we let them go for our move to NZ). One held linens (cleaning out the linen closet). another held my husband's paper piles (it became a pretty fancy filing cabinet! LOL). and another cabinet for china became a bookshelf for important books that we kept behind a locked little glass door (so DS couldn't rip them apart!).

so, i wouldn't be too discouraged. an organizer will not necessarily try to get you to buy 30 containers form the container store. instead, she might just use boxes from the bottle shop, wrapped in nice cloth or some such.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page