Had an epiphany - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came across this blog post and thought of this thread

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
And even if I can't quite see DH's undies as adorable, I am putting them away for him because I love him and car about our home.
LOL....when I am happy with DH I fold his undies and socks neatly, but if I am mad at him, I stuff his undies into his drawer all higgledy piggledy.

So I guess that putting them away neatly really is a sign of love. Even when I am mad at him, of course I do still love him though. It's just easier to vent my anger on his undies and socks than on him!

SAHM to three
Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

My daughter is doing MUCH better today. Keeping her in bed (because of her IV's and such) was a big hassle, and she would scream, "let go of me!" at every nurse who tried to touch her so she's definitely feeling better. If she keeps up at this rate and doesn't relapse tonight, we'll probably bring her home tomorrow. I'm SO excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain View Post
I went totally crazy on my room yesterday. Cleaned it from top to bottom. All the clutter is gone. Dusted, Vac'd, weeded through the dressers and the closet. It felt sooooo good to wake up in a non-chaotic place this morning!
Every time I do this (it's happened... um, 3 times in the last 2 years) I got BALLISTIC on my husband for the first couple of days if he doesn't put his clothes in the basket, or if he knocks something over and doesn't pick it up, etc. It doesn't last very long, but since the last time I tided our room - about a month ago- it's still not too bad. I'm making progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
Astraia Last night I spent about 5 minutes quickly putting things away and I had an epiphany of my own. When things are clean and orderly to start with, maintaining them is easy and doesn't take a lot of time.
I've noticed that at other people's houses- they seem to tidy semi-constantly and I used to think, "geeze, just take a break already" but if you put away the obvious stuff - just 1 think, even, when you walk out of the room- it makes a huge difference when you go to sweep up. I'm definitely not there yet, but I've got it on my mental list of things to remember.

Quote:
I like this way of looking at things. I've been trying to do the same. A few weeks ago I read a section of a simplifying book that talks about how we feel while doing "chores". The author mentions how almost all moms love caring for their babies' clothing; how folding and putting them away is an act of love....But we generally don't feel the same way about our husband's socks and boxers. Why not??
I do a lot of jamming with everyone's clothes, lol. I used to fold things but then I dig a lot while looking for kid's clothes, and my DH pulls from the bottom of the pile of clean shirts and unfolds everything on the way up so I quickly thought, "this is pointless!"

I've really been liking the idea of the family closet, or having most things hang on hooks or something like that. But the attitude idea is right- no matter how easy I make our laundry situation, if my attitude doesn't change I will resent it no matter what. Maybe making it an act of love is important. It's like taking that idea of living purposely- making everything you do count- and applying it to chores. Not too bad!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
I came across this blog post and thought of this thread
Just read this- I REALLY like #3! I read that and thought about the great conversations my sister and I had while washing dishes together, or how canning jam and tomatoes with my mom is one of my fondest memories. We also stacked firewood every year as a family, and I remember feeling disappointed when we were done because we'd suddenly stop talking for the next year until it came time to stack again.

Maybe that's where DH and I have problems, we never do chores together so we never have this conversation opportunity.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

So we're back from hospital! Yay! Have some meds to give her and a puffer but she's having a good long nap in her own bed (she seemed really relieved to go back to bed) and in good spirits.

They're saying asthma... guess that's some good motivation to clean!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Astraia, I'm glad sh'es home and doing better.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
All of my good habits are currently on hold. My girl is in hospital right now with pneumonia/ asthma/ they don't know, getting steroid treatments every hour and still struggling to breathe. I'm at home with the baby and my husband is staying in the hospital with her, and I so wish it was the other way around.
I saw your update, and am really glad she's doing better! Respiratory therapist here with a few suggestions:

1) Querceten has been a wonder-supplement for my asthmatic
2) Get an air purifier for the room she sleeps in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain View Post
I went totally crazy on my room yesterday. Cleaned it from top to bottom. All the clutter is gone. Dusted, Vac'd, weeded through the dressers and the closet. It felt sooooo good to wake up in a non-chaotic place this morning! Today I am attacking the living room, and that is exactly how I am looking at it, as an attack. I will win and my living room will look as good as my bedroom does

When the kids got home from school yesterday I brought each of them into my room. I asked if they would like their room to look like mine, they all said , "YES!!!!" So the desire is there, I just need to figure out how to instill the drive. The boys and I started on their room, filled about a half of a lawn and leaf bag of stuff they don't need any more. I will organize the bookshelf while they are at school today, but they really seemed into it.

I just have to keep plugging away!
Whoo hoo! Good for you!

I do something similar, I try to do at least 3 "special projects" a week. This includes cleaning off the top of some cluttered surface (my dresser, the computer desk, and the top of the microwave are the worst), cleaning out drawers or cupboards, scrubbing a wall, etc. Sometimes I get on a roll and do several "special projects" in one day. It's amazing to me that I often spend more time dreading the project than it actually requires to DO the project. Getting them done really makes me feel good!

Quote:
I like this way of looking at things. I've been trying to do the same. A few weeks ago I read a section of a simplifying book that talks about how we feel while doing "chores". The author mentions how almost all moms love caring for their babies' clothing; how folding and putting them away is an act of love. I know that even after a year, I fold my baby's clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer, and I like looking at the neat little rows of adorable shirts and jammies in his drawers. But we generally don't feel the same way about our husband's socks and boxers. Why not??

So I've been working on changing my attitude. And even if I can't quite see DH's undies as adorable, I am putting them away for him because I love him and car about our home.
Wow. Wow. Guess I need an attitude adjustment!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
I saw your update, and am really glad she's doing better! Respiratory therapist here with a few suggestions:

1) Querceten has been a wonder-supplement for my asthmatic
2) Get an air purifier for the room she sleeps in
Thank you. I looked through some of my MIL's natural healing books and they had a whole list of things you could try for an asthmatic, but it was for adults not children and it was a HUGE list. I remember Querceten was on that list, though, so I'll look into it. Any idea on dosage for a 2 year old?

I'm thinking we'll get an air purifier for her, too. 2 dogs, 1 cat and a messy mom means she probably needs all the help she can get

A friend of mine offered to come over and help me clean and get rid of dust and allergens. Her house is SPOTLESS and I said... yes <gulp> I'm scared she's going to be like, "oh my god, why did I offer to do this?!?" but getting help would be good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
I do something similar, I try to do at least 3 "special projects" a week. This includes cleaning off the top of some cluttered surface (my dresser, the computer desk, and the top of the microwave are the worst), cleaning out drawers or cupboards, scrubbing a wall, etc. Sometimes I get on a roll and do several "special projects" in one day. It's amazing to me that I often spend more time dreading the project than it actually requires to DO the project. Getting them done really makes me feel good!
I always dread these big jobs too, and I"m surprise by how good I feel when I get them done. I think I need to make a list of these big jobs, because sometimes when I'm on a roll I start doing stuff that really isn't all that important- ie, scrubbing grout lines... which I did Wednesday evening, before DD got sick. The top of my piano needs some desperate attention, as does my basement TV room, I have huge piles of laundry... ugh.

User Tag List