Just decide to take a leap of faith - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our lives have been taking a turn for the minimalist lifestyle (ie better life for us) for some time but lately, I personally have been itching to do more. I am on a new career path as is hubby and our son will be starting kindergarten next year. So many changes coming as many projects came to completion this summer. SO it's time for a change...a BIG one!!!

For the past 3-4 weeks, I have been trying to convince hubby to purge just a little more and have yardsale, all met with grunts and well why questions. I feel that we need to scrub off the cobwebs of the past so we can open up ourselves and our lives to new adventures. This is where he gets that glazed look in his eyes and starts to wander off on me.

So I decided just to donate it all...I have been taking out piece by piece, bag by bag and every week, it's looking better. He hasn't noticed or maybe he has and is just glad he is not involved. Love him...but he hates to organize or be involved in anyway. He loves the results, just not his thang.

I have reduced our stuff by enough to completely clean out an entire bedroom and with the exception of the catbox and some extras in the small closet for storage, is completely empty. I moved around our furniture and actually like the arrangement (why does it take 1-2 years of living somewhere BEFORE you figure out how to make it cute and how to make it work????) It has become more efficient, as in cleaning, finding things, putting things back....and I have really enjoyed the process. The other perk of all of this is instead of fighting the spouse over this (I tend to be the passionate arguer ) I found a better solution that suits us both.

Things I am working on this weekend.

1. Clothing- I am up for THE promotion at work..THE one I have work so hard to get too for many years (Yes, I love my job...don't hate me...took MANY years of bad jobs and bosses and loads of self belief, patience and hard work to get where I am.)I need something more corporate yet not too stuffy. No business casual for me. I am revamping my wardrobe and donating the cutesy, not just right stuff. SO far, I have opened up half the space in my closet. I may need to buy a few things, but right now, I have enough to get me started off on the right heel.

2. Stuff in general- "we" (I use this term losely) let go of several boxes of odds and ends, I cut down our old towels to make cleaning rags (no more paper towels for us), culled my son's toys and made room for a desk area for both of us. So far, so good and SO much fun!!!

3. Cleaning- I admit, I am a clean freak but hate to always clean. Less stuff around=less time cleaning and organizing. My counters in the kitchen and bath are cleaned off. Make it easier to spray and quickly wipe down without having to go around so many things. Also makes me super organized. I now run the vacuum 2x a week and it's easy peasy. With the 3 of us, 2 dogs and 2 cats, I am keeping my sanity and I love my Dyson.

So, that is my little story and I am sticking too it. I am glad I leapt...anyone care to join me???
#2 of 2 Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds fun, sounds like you have some motivation and are using it to make some changes.

I am so not to this level.... but can certainly admire it at the same time.

However, I am making progress. Actually taking a quick sit down break right now from working on three projects that have been in the works for like 6+ months.... The house is fairly clean, cleaner than the norm but not sparkling, but am happy with that.
In the past 3 days, I've got 7 boxes of stuff and 2 bags of clothes ready to go to the thrift store. I'm am shooting to make it more before I take it in.

the above items of "clean" house, boxes to goodwill and projects out in the garage being worked on, means I can see more stuff that needs to be sorted thru at the very least... It's progress

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page