My kitchen/dining room (Pictures) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been working on the kitchen and dining room this week and I promised myself I would have it clean enough for pictures today. Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2646584...7625326848958/

I need to get curtains/blinds/shades for the kitchen windows for privacy. You can see right in the kitchen and I haven't had anything on the windows since we moved here in April.

A larger project is the area above the stove and next to it. We are debating putting a range hood or an over the range microwave above the stove and some cabinets above and next to the stove. Thoughts?

The kitchen island we added when we moved in. It has Home Depot base cabinets and an Ikea butcher block top. My dad painted the dining room and part of the kitchen. Otherwise the house is how we bought it.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Love it!! I love the less clutterness (?) of not having top kitchen cabinets. Looks so cozy!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#3 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 AM

I love it too. I really like how it looks over your oven now. I was picturing my jars of grains there.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM

I really like the look of your kitchen and dining area!

It is fresh and modern while having traditional elements. Plus, it is warm, homey and uncluttered. I like the open shelving, too. But, a range hood, microwave and some cabinetry would free up some more counter space and look great.

What kind of window treatments do you have in mind? My kitchen needs some, as well. And, I am in need of some inspiration...

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#5 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I'd get a nice stand alone range hood just for the sake of pulling out steam and cooking odors. It looks so nice and open without cupboards there though
#6 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

I like the open shelves but I thought it might look better if you didn't see all the jars and stuff on the shelves. Then again it looks much better than the cabinets in the island because we do have to look at the shelves everyday. I think we will put in another cabinet next to the stove to replace the cart that is there now and we have a piece of counter that should fit.

Windows-I was thinking roman blinds because I want something tailored since they will be right over the counters but I was concerned about how to clean them. They will probably get a little dirty from food prep/splashes and I want something I can easily clean. Also during the day it would be nice to keep them open because the windows let in great light.

Thanks for the compliments

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#7 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM

I love it! Nice job!
#8 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM

I LOVE your buffet/hutch!!! I added that picture to my favorites.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#9 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
I LOVE your buffet/hutch!!! I added that picture to my favorites.

It all looks great!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#10 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
p.s

Looks wonderful! We live in a Victorian... too, right?
I love the pistachio ice cream color on your kitchen walls; so peaceful.
#11 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure exactly what house style you would classify it as. The house was built in 1930. Here is the picture of the outside (from when we looked at it when it was for sale)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2301627...9655/lightbox/

The walls are actually Benjamin Moore Hush which in person is a beige color. It must be the lighting that makes them look different in the pictures.

#12 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

nice work!

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#13 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM

I think your kitchen looks great! Very cozy and homey. I especially like you hutch and I noticed you have an interesting looking ceiling.

I also love your front porch.
#14 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 PM

I love your hutch!

I agree, it feels very homey!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 35 Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
p.s

hmmm, yeah I guess not Victorian looking at the outside. I am guessing it was built 1910's-20's?
#16 of 35 Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I am not sure exactly what house style you would classify it as. The house was built in 1930. Here is the picture of the outside (from when we looked at it when it was for sale)

The walls are actually Benjamin Moore Hush which in person is a beige color. It must be the lighting that makes them look different in the pictures.

You have an American Foursquare house. They were most common from 1890 - 1930s, and can have Victorian, Craftsman, Colonial, etc. styling inside. I'd label yours as a (mostly) Craftsman Foursquare because of the coffered ceiling in the dining room, the 5-panel doors, and the little windows flanking the fireplace. Traditionally, built-in bookcases would have been on either side of the fireplace. Yours may have been removed at some point (or were never added). The fireplace windows also look to be divided into 3, which is another common Craftsman detail.

The front porch columns, being rounded, make it look a little bit Colonial. So do the turned spindles on the stairway, but it's common for homes of that area to be a little eclectic and mix styles.

Lovely home! I have a Foursquare as well, but nowhere near as ornate as yours.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#17 of 35 Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM

i love the styling of that era.

eta: thanks for the mini-architectural history lesson diana!

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#18 of 35 Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

beautiful!
#19 of 35 Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM

I love your kid's presence... always there. He looks wonderful. It's a nice kitchen, too!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#20 of 35 Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Lovely! Thank you for sharing!

#21 of 35 Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Quote:

You have an American Foursquare house. They were most common from 1890 - 1930s, and can have Victorian, Craftsman, Colonial, etc. styling inside. I'd label yours as a (mostly) Craftsman Foursquare because of the coffered ceiling in the dining room, the 5-panel doors, and the little windows flanking the fireplace. Traditionally, built-in bookcases would have been on either side of the fireplace. Yours may have been removed at some point (or were never added). The fireplace windows also look to be divided into 3, which is another common Craftsman detail.

The front porch columns, being rounded, make it look a little bit Colonial. So do the turned spindles on the stairway, but it's common for homes of that area to be a little eclectic and mix styles.

Thanks for all the information! I thought it was most like a four-square but it doesn't have the traditional four square layout. You enter into the living room that has the staircase and fireplace, then straight to the dining room and kitchen with a half bath. Upstairs is a full bath and two bedrooms (there were originally three bedrooms but a previous owner converted the two smaller bedrooms into one).  It does have a hip roof that is slate (a lot of the houses in our neighborhood have slate roofs or did at some point).

We want to add built-in cabinets next to the fireplace and redo the mantel and hearth. I want a tiled fireplace. I don't know when we will bet to the fireplace but I would like to do it eventually.

The windows by the fireplace are dived in 3 and appear to be the original glass, which has a pebbled texture.

Thank you, I want to see pictures of your home too! I didn't think my house was particularly ornate.

#22 of 35 Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

I love your kid's presence... always there. He looks wonderful. It's a nice kitchen, too!

Thanks! He was being a knight. His Halloween costume is getting good use for dress up. These are actually the pictures he isn't in as much.

Now I am looking at the downstairs and it doesn't look like the pictures, *sigh* I have to get it back in order. How quickly it gets messy!

#23 of 35 Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Looks great, love the shelves over the stove. And the ceiling is beautiful.

We also have a foursquare, love them!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#24 of 35 Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 AM

Love it! The ceiling in the dining room is beautiful! Love the hutch, island, all the beautiful wood work. I would love to have a house like that! As for curtains can you sew or know someone who can? I would get a linen of some sort (so it hangs nice) and have them tailor made but you can pull them off the rod and run through the washer when needed.

You have done a great job!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#25 of 35 Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It looks wonderful!  I must say, I love your whole house.  I love old houses and yours still has a ton of character left in it.  It's very beautiful!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#26 of 35 Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Looks great! You have a lovely home...and your son is adorable.

#27 of 35 Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post

Love it! The ceiling in the dining room is beautiful! Love the hutch, island, all the beautiful wood work. I would love to have a house like that! As for curtains can you sew or know someone who can? I would get a linen of some sort (so it hangs nice) and have them tailor made but you can pull them off the rod and run through the washer when needed.

You have done a great job!

Thanks!

I can sew a little, I can probably manage to make curtains for the windows. I have a friend who is great at sewing, maybe we can make them together next time she is here.

I'll come back and post more pictures of the rest of the house when the other rooms are cleared or I finish the projects I have in mind.

#28 of 35 Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 AM

i agree with making a window treatment out of fabric as opposed to blinds. much easier to throw the whole thing in the wash with a little bleach once in a while than cleaning a blind slat by slat (especially greasy baked on dust... ugh!). i would go with a basic roman blind in a light linen or muslin. easy to make, easy to wash, has a simple, modern look that wouldn't clash with the more traditional elements of your kitchen.

#29 of 35 Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Quote:

Thanks for all the information! I thought it was most like a four-square but it doesn't have the traditional four square layout. You enter into the living room that has the staircase and fireplace, then straight to the dining room and kitchen with a half bath. Upstairs is a full bath and two bedrooms (there were originally three bedrooms but a previous owner converted the two smaller bedrooms into one).  It does have a hip roof that is slate (a lot of the houses in our neighborhood have slate roofs or did at some point).

We want to add built-in cabinets next to the fireplace and redo the mantel and hearth. I want a tiled fireplace. I don't know when we will bet to the fireplace but I would like to do it eventually.

The windows by the fireplace are dived in 3 and appear to be the original glass, which has a pebbled texture.

Thank you, I want to see pictures of your home too! I didn't think my house was particularly ornate.

I have lots of pics up on my blog: http://prairiebox.blogspot.com  You'll have to sift through to find house pictures; all I've posted about lately is my chickens!!  orngtongue.gif

We have the same window/door molding, but mine has no fireplace (oh how I wish!!) or box-beam ceilings.  No built-ins either.  We do have an open stairway, which I love.  And our layout isn't a textbook Foursquare layout either.  The living room is across the whole front; kitchen and dining in the rear, each taking up about half the width; and 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, and linen closet upstairs.  A previous owner enclosed our back porch, and we have a laundry/mudroom and half bath out there.  Your floorplan appears to have been elongated to make it fit better on a narrow city lot.  But it still looks like it meets the "official" Foursquare rules!  orngbiggrin.gif

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#30 of 35 Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Cute kitchen!

For the windows, I would do something sheer so that you still get a lot of light - you have great windows and natural light is a plus. We are lucky to have our kitchen facing the back of the house, so I can go without window coverings (there are blinds from the previous owner that we never use).

For the space above the stove, I am not so keen on open shelves in the kitchen (sorry!) unless it is dedicated exclusively to decorative items. I would do a hood with cabinets above the stove, perhaps with additional counterspace and a below-counter cabinet where the microwave is (which can stay on top of the new cabinet). I think that would give that part of the kitchen a much neater look.

You didn't ask, but I would also take the arm chair out of the dining room. It is a lovely area (great ceiling!), and very cozy, but I think the chair looks out of place and makes it look more cramped...perhaps a small table with a plant or decorative item if you feel you need something in the corner?

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

User Tag List