Decluttering the coffee table (as in getting rid of the entire thing)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH and I have a small apartment. Recently he suggested getting rid of the coffee table. I'm used to moving the coffee table to the side when I exercise in the living room. Honestly, it seems to collect junk more than anything. But it's nice to have a place to set a cup of tea when I curl up on the couch with a good book. We don't currently have an end table. I'm curious about how getting rid of the coffee table has worked for others. I've never considered not having one. I do see how it can make the room appear bigger and less cluttered, though.

Opinions? Anyone gotten rid of their coffee table? How has it worked?
#2 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
DH and I have a small apartment. Recently he suggested getting rid of the coffee table. I'm used to moving the coffee table to the side when I exercise in the living room. Honestly, it seems to collect junk more than anything. But it's nice to have a place to set a cup of tea when I curl up on the couch with a good book. We don't currently have an end table. I'm curious about how getting rid of the coffee table has worked for others. I've never considered not having one. I do see how it can make the room appear bigger and less cluttered, though.

Opinions? Anyone gotten rid of their coffee table? How has it worked?
We removed ours because DS needed playspace in our tiny livingroom. I don't miss it, but I do have a (tiny) endtable for my coffee, and a couch arm to hold my laptop.
#3 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM

We have never had a coffee table. Our two (50 lb each) dogs like to lay right at our feet when we're sitting on the sofa, so a coffee table seemed like it would get in the way. (And DH and I would have to AGREE on something to buy, so we never bothered) That being said, we do have one side table (with a basket full of kid books underneath) and random 'stuff' seems to collect on top of the entertainment center. I am not a decorator and my house isn't decorated (it too us several years to get some photos on the walls), so the lack of knick-knack space doesn't bother me.
#4 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM

We don't have a coffee table in my home, but we do have a foldable table that can be used for a cup of tea or a remote control if we want to use it. Usually I keep it next to our recliner to use for bottles and burp cloths when I'm feeding my twins.

Lay down in our mother's arms for here we can rest safely
#5 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Interesting idea. I don't think we could get rid of ours, because DH absolutely loves to put his feet on the table while we watch a movie. It certainly is a pain to move to exercise and vacuum around, though. Sometimes I wish I could get rid of my dining room table, because that is where our household clutter spot is!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#6 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM

We've never had a coffee table. We have an end table for drinks. We also have a basket on a shelf of our entertainment center for remote controls.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#7 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM

We haven't had a coffee table in probably a decade (since our first apartment). Once we had kids, it just seemed like it took up space and collected clutter - and setting a hot cup of tea on it wasn't very practical with LO's around. Never missed it.

eta: no end tables, either. Our family room and living room just have couches and TV/Computer with entertainment center/desk (and a gas fireplace, which I place magazines and a few books on the ledge of it when we have company). They are huge rooms, but I don't want tons of furniture to collect dust and crap.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

We got rid of ours. We just use an ottoman with a tray for drinks. Or you can use it without the tray to prop up your feet.

Something like this is cool. And you can use it for storage
http://www.roomstogo.com/index.cfm?f...&ipac_id=31739

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#9 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We got rid of ours, don't regret it! We do have end tables, though. Our coffee table just took up space in our little living room.
#10 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM

We got rid of the coffee table when I was pregnant with ds1. I have never regretted it!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#11 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM

We got rid of our coffee table and don't have a side table, but DD has a small little table that kind of gets shoved around the living room as she plays throughout the day. We occasionally drag it into use when we want some kind of table by the couch. We really appreciate the extra floor space and the freedom from another place to pile junk. Also- you could get one of those trays people serve breakfast in bed on, that way you'd have a place for your tea.
#12 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM

we got rid of ours, and now I have to put my tea on the floor. . I wish I had a side table.

I also feel like our room looks less anchored, but ds kept getting hurt on the table.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#13 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM

We had an old trunk as a coffee table that came from DH's life before he met me. Our older cat at the time puked on it a few too many times AND I got sick of it taking up space in our small living room. We gave it away and have not regretted it once. It used to hold all our family games. We also gave away the entertainment center we had at the time, which was really big and a waste of space. We purchased a more useful entertainment center (2 pieces; but overall smaller), which had space for games and the TV and electronic equipment and a few knick-knacks. Once DD was old enough to know better than shove things into the electronic equipment, we gave away the top portion of the entertainment center and moved the equipment down and ditched a few pieces so it would all fit. Less knick-knacks, too. Then, in May 2009, we had a major flood and that entertainment center was the only piece of furniture ruined in the flood. Particle board swells something awful when sitting in ankle-deep water. Out it went. We replaced it with an even smaller entertainment center (technically called a TV console), which holds everything we need and has zero room for knick-knacks and takes up less space than anything we've owned. That and new flooring from the flood, and our living room looks WAY bigger than ever before!

We do have a couple end tables and a small, oval-shaped storage ottoman with a reversible lid to hold beverages. We mostly use it to rest our feet during movie night or when playing on our Wii. Once in awhile, I flip the lid over for hot tea or hot cocoa. We mostly drink water in the living room and place it on an end table or the floor. We also have our speakers on either side of the large sofa and I put a coaster on one of them for water.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#14 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

i actually use my window sill as a place to hold my tea while i'm curled up and reading. seriously. i know, i'm odd.
#15 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 PM

We don't have a coffee table, but we have an end table. Two actually, although I want to sell them and build my own. Ana-white.com has awesome free plans. I recently built a platform bed... king size, solid wood (no plyboard or mdf etc) for under 100 bucks. I vote get rid of the coffee table that takes up space and buy or build (or freecycle!) a little end table. If it is small, it won't collect junk as easily and you can use it for your drink
#16 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 PM

We moved ours to another room when dd came along 7 years ago. We have 3 nesting end tables and 3 small ottomans. This gives us plenty of space to set things down.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#17 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 PM

We got rid of ours because it was hindering DS' play, plus I didn't want him knocking his head on it. We have 2 end tables though to set stuff on if we need to. I would probably get some tv trays to use as end tables when the kids were in bed if I was you.

Mama to three

#18 of 32 Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i actually use my window sill as a place to hold my tea while i'm curled up and reading. seriously. i know, i'm odd.
Me too! It's right behind the back rest of my couch and i usually sit sideways on the couch, with my laptop on my lap.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#19 of 32 Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've decided we're definitely getting rid of the coffee table. Thanks for the perspectives! It will really open the living room up. For now we have a plant stand we can sit on the side of the couch when we want to have tea or hot cocoa. I like the tray ideas and also when we can afford it, an ottoman will be nice.
#20 of 32 Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We don't have a coffee table in the family room. We could use end tables, but the book shelf is a step away, so cups tend to end up there.

We use a large ottoman (it actually folds out to a single bed) as a coffee table in the living room, and it is always cluttered with papers and books and sundries. I would consider getting rid of it, but we would need end tables to replace it.
#21 of 32 Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As soon as sbx moved out I removed his ugly green marble topped coffee table and replaced it with a lovely Havertys ottoman from Craigs List for $10! I have a try on it for drinks and odds and ends but usually it's feet on the ottoman and a cup of tea for me!
#22 of 32 Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM

We have a great, round table in our very teeny tiny living room that just dominates the area...I love that table but I am seriously considering putting it in the shed.  It's just in the way and a clutter catcher.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#23 of 32 Old 11-14-2010, 05:27 AM

Yeah our coffee table always feels in the way, so it's always shoved all the way against the wall or something.  Since we don't sit on our couch and watch TV or anything like that, there probably is no reason to have it.  Thanks for the idea, I think I might get rid of ours too : )

#24 of 32 Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 PM

I do not really recall when we got rid of ours. We did get a new one at a point given to us by some friends from another country when they moved back away. I still have that one, but it is not in the main living area. I also purchased a new one 3 years ago, but my husband took that one out too, which honestly, is for the best. I prefer end tables. Maybe just get a couple end tables and get rid of the coffee table. I think that is an excellent idea. Oh, what I listed about the coffee tables history for us is over 17 yrs together. I know we had one when we first lived together, but then I think by our second apartment it was gone, which was 15 months later. Then it was another 5 yrs in that place and then we moved to our first house and after being there for 2 yrs, the friends gave us theirs. So basically, I am saying, we usually have not had one and that works for the best. We do currently have one in the media room and my husband's office. But in the media room, it holds all the Wii stuff and books and such as that is more of a playroom type place. Then my husband's office, I think it is a junk holder for him.

#25 of 32 Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 PM

We got rid of ours a year or two ago. I don't miss it at all. We have a small living room & there was not enough space for DS to play or me to work out or anything. We have 2 couches & there is a windowsill behind one & a stairwell behind the other so that's where we put our drinks when necessary. Or the bookshelf or the TV stand or the bar. Wherever there is room lol. DS has a very small toddler table in the corner of the living room too that's super lightweight so when we have company & want somewhere to put a bowl of popcorn, we just move DS's table. I don't think I'd ever bother getting a coffee table again. You could always get one of those little 14" storage ottomans that they sell everywhere... flip the top over & you can use it for your drinks...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#26 of 32 Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 AM

We don't have a coffee table due to how small our living room is. We do have end tables, but they just seem to collect junk. :/

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#27 of 32 Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 AM

we have one of those ottomans with the tray on it. i love it, but it's up against the wall now instead of near the sofa. the baby needs floor space, so we moved it. i really like it there actually, since it gets used as extra seating instead of a clutter spot. we have nesting end tables, but they are kind of a pain. i expect they will come in useful someday when we live in a slightly larger space, but for now, they just sit nested. it is a good place for a cup of tea though, and small enough that nothing else ends up there usually.

#28 of 32 Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM

We have two foam cubes covered in canvas that I got at World Market 3 yrs ago. They have washable, removable covers, but the zipper on one has come apart. They were/are the best! I still have them out (one still covered, one in the muslin) b/c they're so handy. You can put things on them, company can sit on them if need be, and when not in use my boys love throwing them at each other. I would buy more in a heartbeat if I ever see them again. I was thinking of paying someone to recover them in a nice fabric but that'd cost way more than the $20 they cost originally. Anyway, foam cubes w/ a washable cover -highly recommend.

#29 of 32 Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM

I got rid of our coffee table - in the way, kid hazard, clutter gatherer. We don't have a large house dog at the moment, but usually do, & coffee tables are just dog nose & tail height :P We do have a small end table, with a lamp & the phone charger/answering machine on it (has room for a mug & coaster, but not much else - does have storage underneath). I've used large dog crates as end tables before, & that worked well (not for lamps, though). We also have a couple of those little folding tables, for eating off of or if guests need to set drinks down.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#30 of 32 Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM

I have a pretty big open square for a family room wtih the couches. I really only have one "sitting" room because that's the only place anyone ever sits anyways, except at the dining table, which we only have one of also. My coffee table is a huge square and doubles for smal non messy meals/snacks especially alfter swimming when everyone wants to watch tv and have a snack.  I have one heavy anchored end table and on the one side a set of lighter nesting tables that can be pulled out and used as a snack tray.  WHere my "sitting reading nook fancy place" would be is the kids study area. They each have a laptop and nice desk, with bookcases and shelving.  I tried to have that fancy little sitting nook to keep my nice things but that just didn'tw ork. I STILL didn't sit there and it's  just one more expensive set of furniture to not get used.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page