Favorite Vacuum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need some opinions!

I'm in the market for a new vacuum. Been wading through online reviews and just got totally overwhelmed. It seems like if someone likes one model, ten other people say why it's crap. Is it really this complicated?

Basically I want a not too expensive model, upright, bagless. We have mostly hardwood, no carpets (some area rugs). Does anybody have the Shark Vac n'Steam? I like the idea of vacuuming and then steaming with just one piece of equipment, but I wonder if it's all just hype.

So, if anyone has a vacuum they love, please share and why! No $500 models please, lol.

TIA

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

I looked through reviews a lot too, and gave up. Then months later, someone recommended this vacuum: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Nano-Light-Upright-Compact/10174466

I know yucky Walmart and all, but I really love it. It's super lightweight, takes up less space in my closet and gets the job done. The only cons are that it covers a smaller area at a time, and the cord isn't terribly long, so I should probably use an extension cord for it. It was definitely worth the $48.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 6 Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM

I have a Dyson animal. I've had it for 7 years and it is still working great! We have 4 cats and it's worked well with 2 Saint Bernards. I know it's not the cheapest vacuum, but it's lasted a long time.

Live and love with your whole being.
#4 of 6 Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Also not a cheap one, but my Oreck has been through the wringer for 10 years, both Stateside as well as via a transformer (which is supposed to lessen the power of electronics) overseas, through a long-haired dog and 2 longer-haired cats for most of those years, through both kiddos...in both carpet-only homes, tile/hardwood homes, etc.  It weighs 7 lb, which is perfect as every 1-3 years we are moving, sometimes into apartments, sometimes into 3-story homes.  Our next one will probably be a Dyson due to its excellent reputation and increased power when sucking...but my Oreck just keeps on running, lol!  The smaller vacuum w/its attachments has been perfect for cleaning our vehicles as well as nooks and crannies in our homes  smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Our Oreck is over 10 years old now and still going strong! We replaced the cord once and that's it.

We also have a Roomba and love it for frequent floor cleaning. The battery is currently giving us trouble. The Roomba itself is 3-1/2 years old and we replaced the original battery already. I have to do some reading to see if the newer versions have better quality batteries. If so, then we will buy a new Roomba when we see it for a great price (got our first one on woot.com). If not, then I am going to be sad...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

We have this Dyson vacuum...love it!  So easy to maneuver. The only con I find is the cord is quite long to it tends to get in the way at times, but I have got used to moving the cord out of the way with my left hand when I need to, and steering with my right. 

SAHM to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page