How often do you change your kids' sheets? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Each of my three kids has a twin bed with a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, a quilt, pillowcase and sham. Washing their sheets and quilts is a major project and uses a lot of water and energy. So obviously I don't want to tackle this project very often!

I try to make their beds immediately every morning and don't allow them to go under their covers throughout the day. At night, they take a bath or quick shower before bed, so they are not "dirty" when they get into bed.

Lately I've been washing their bedding every two weeks. But by then, there's a lot of accumulated dust on their sheets and quilts. (Our sheets are navy blue and red, so the dust shows up really well). Should I be washing their bedding weekly instead?

I do feel that I also have to wash their quilts each time, since they tend to get as yucky as the sheets.

So...how often do you wash your kids' bedding?

#2 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Weekly to biweekly on the sheets, quilts almost never.  But then I use duvet covers, so the quilts don't need it.  Shams almost never get washed, they are on "decorative" pillows that nobody lays on.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#3 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Every 2 weeks on the sheets, every 3-6 mths on the quilts.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#4 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM

We do sheets every Sunday, Actual Pillows and Blankets get washed every 6 months.

#5 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Weekly, I do them in order of child's age, to keep track of whose I washed last.

SAHM to three
#6 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Every time one of them gets a bloody nose when they're slepping or I see visible dirt on the sheets.  My kids get bloody noses all the time it seems.

#7 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Ideally sheets would get washed weekly, but the reality here is closer to fortnightly or a bit longer. We use top sheets (between body and quilt) and also quilt covers, so quilts only get washed once a year at the onset of summer, unless something gets spilled on them.

If cotton/synthetic, I try to wash matress protectors every second time I change the sheets. Wool ones don't need washing as often.

#8 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 PM

During cold/flu season, I try to get everyone's sheets changed/washed once a week (spring/summer they get changed every other week).  I wash blankets and comforters once a month.

#9 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjen614 View Post

During cold/flu season, I try to get everyone's sheets changed/washed once a week (spring/summer they get changed every other week).  I wash blankets and comforters once a month.

That's interesting, I tend to do the reverse..in summer I feel I need to wash the sheets more often as we get so sweaty in the heat.

In cooler weather I am more likely to wash them every other week if I don't have time to do them weekly. Also in winter our feet are cleaner as we don't go barefoot like we do in summer. ;)

SAHM to three
#10 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Every bed gets it's linens washed each week. Sometimes the week slips away so it happens every other week...then again it seems most weeks have a reason to change the bed linens more frequently.

Actual pillows and quilts get washed every season (4x/yr).

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#11 of 26 Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 PM

DS is still in a toddler bed, so there is only a fitted sheet and pillowcase to wash. Also, DS only sleeps in there half the time. I change his sheet and pillowcase every other Friday.

joy.giflurk.gif

#12 of 26 Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Weekly unless DS is doing a craft or something in his bed and there is a mess to clean up. (dont ask, he is 10 , who knows what happens in there sometimes)

My room is changed out weekly

This is sheets only, the blankets are done "as needed" usually every 3 mos or so

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 26 Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 AM

I wash DS1's sheets when I wash ours - once every couple weeks or when DS1 pees the bed or DS2 leaks.  Comforters get washed sporadicly - maybe once every 2 or 3 months, pillows about once or twice a year. :shrug

#14 of 26 Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM

monthly or when peed on around my house.

when you all say that you "wash" pillows -- the actual pillow, not the cover? You put that in the washing machine and dryer? I have never, ever, ever in my life washed a pillow. Can you do that?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#15 of 26 Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

when you all say that you "wash" pillows -- the actual pillow, not the cover? You put that in the washing machine and dryer? I have never, ever, ever in my life washed a pillow. Can you do that?

Depends on the type of pillow...I wouldn't wash a feather pillow, but most of the modern ones these days are washable.  Just stuff it down into the washing machine and load it down with sheets or towels to stop it bobbing to the surface when washing (that is if you have a top loader), if you have a front loader, you can just wash it by itself.   I generally dry mine outdoors in the air...not sure if they are able to go in a dryer.

SAHM to three
#16 of 26 Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I used to wash their sheets every week, but now that they have separate beds I only do it every other week.  We change pillowcases more often.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#17 of 26 Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

Depends on the type of pillow...I wouldn't wash a feather pillow, but most of the modern ones these days are washable.  Just stuff it down into the washing machine and load it down with sheets or towels to stop it bobbing to the surface when washing (that is if you have a top loader), if you have a front loader, you can just wash it by itself.   I generally dry mine outdoors in the air...not sure if they are able to go in a dryer.

I toss them in the dryer on low.  That said, I do that like once a year, at best?  lol.gif

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#18 of 26 Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Yeah, our pillows I know are machine washable - they're fake down :p Twas one of the reasons we bought them... and I too throw'm in the dryer on low or medium, on the rare occasion when I bother to wash them :)

#19 of 26 Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

{insert maniacal laughter here}

Wash?  Sheets?  I have no idea.  It is that infrequent.  I will not apologize, dammit!

Isn't that what jammies are for?  To keep the sheets clean?  ROTFLMAO.gif

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#20 of 26 Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekprincess View Post

We do sheets every Sunday, Actual Pillows and Blankets get washed every 6 months.

Same here! We wash all sheets on Sundays and comforters only when they get peed on lol.gif.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#21 of 26 Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Change???

CPST
#22 of 26 Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Sheets, weekly. Comforter, about once every three weeks. Pillows, about twice a year. 

#23 of 26 Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

in winter every two weeks and in summer every week.

quilts/duvets every 3 months

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#24 of 26 Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 AM

every other weekend.... my dc only use the fitted sheet no top sheet. I will wash the younger boys pillowcases as needed since they are drool monkeys :) I never thought to wash pillows, if they get really gross ie puked on they just get trashed and I'll get them another one at WM. They don't have comforters either, just fleece blankets and I wash those as needed.... maybe every 6 weeks or so.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#25 of 26 Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM

I wash ds's sheets every two weeks-which to me, sounds a little ooky...but he doesn't really sleep in his bed.  He lays down for the night in his own bed & falls asleep, then when dh & I go to bed he comes and jumps in with us.

I do wash his pillowcases a lot since he has orthodontics and it causes him to drool a lot...comforter & blanket get washed every couple of months unless it gets dirty.

#26 of 26 Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 PM

I do them probably every two weeks or so, maybe a month at longest. Or sooner if they get puked or peed on! Quilts/blankets less frequently, probably every 4-6 months unless they appear to be dirty.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page