Small Home organization thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

We are 4 (2 kids, 2 parents) in 640 square feet. We have decided that we'll stick it out here for another 2 years or so (office and schooling reasons) and then we will need to move to gain outdoor space, since we have none at present. By then we will be desperately in need of a simple way to say "go out and burn off steam!"

Yes - outdoor space is crucial to us, too. If we didn't have the big back yard/garden, we'd all go crazy together in the house. Kicking them outside is one of my favorite parts of the day - I get a bit of peace and I know being outside is doing them a world of good!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#32 of 52 Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

Quote:

We are 4 (2 kids, 2 parents) in 640 square feet. We have decided that we'll stick it out here for another 2 years or so (office and schooling reasons) and then we will need to move to gain outdoor space, since we have none at present. By then we will be desperately in need of a simple way to say "go out and burn off steam!"

Yes - outdoor space is crucial to us, too. If we didn't have the big back yard/garden, we'd all go crazy together in the house. Kicking them outside is one of my favorite parts of the day - I get a bit of peace and I know being outside is doing them a world of good!

God, I wish I had outdoor space! The first thing out of DD's (21 mo) mouth in the morning is "walk"? I'd love to have an easily watched fenced in back yard to send her out into while I make breakfast, do dishes etc., and then come join her! I'm lucky in that we do live in a pretty walkable area, it's very pretty with parks and a small lake, if not a lot in the way of shops or stuff to do.

I think if our apartment had a washer/dryer setup IN the apartment and easy access to private/semi private outdoor space it would be absolutely perfect. Oh and about 5 more tall bookshelves. :D

#33 of 52 Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:

We are 4 (2 kids, 2 parents) in 640 square feet. We have decided that we'll stick it out here for another 2 years or so (office and schooling reasons) and then we will need to move to gain outdoor space, since we have none at present. By then we will be desperately in need of a simple way to say "go out and burn off steam!" This is enough room for what we need indoor-wise, but my number one piece of advice for small space living is to redo/review your storage and declutter 2-4 times a year. We have relatives who overgift, and honestly, that stuff either gets donated fairly quickly or it becomes grandma's house toys. That does make battery powered stuff way less frequent a gift! Cuts down on the huge gifts too. But there's also space for items where "it's not my style, but grandparents really want to give it and the kids really want to have it." Just not piles of it! This is our house from 2 1/2 years ago or so when DS was just a baby: 

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/small-cool-2008-east/east-finalist-family-of-fours-two-bedroom-studio-050441

I can try to get some more pics of the newer set up when we get holiday decor finished.

would love to see new pics too!

Love the under-stair storage. We have an under-stair area in the new apt. Other things are being done right now that are more pressing (new floor, new toilet, new stove) but my mom was talking about knocking out under stair area... I think even to make a pantry would be nice, since its directly next to the galley kitchen.

At least in NYC people don't think its THAT crazy to live in small spaces.

Outdoor space is a good point. We're going to be 4 in 550sf, but we do have access to a small walled-in yard. DS (6) can go out there but never wants to be alone. DD (19m) would love to go out alone but is too young. Go figure. I plan that by the time it warms up in spring, we can convince my parents (whose house and yard it is that we'll be living beneath) to let us put in a very tactful tub for water and sand play- I am thinking some galvanized steel tubs, not too ugly... also I will make DS a woodworking bench out there- he had one in San Diego and he liked that. This is all a ways out though- its going to be too cold to do much out there for a while. We're also half a block from Central Park so can easily get out and get moving. I haven't been a mom in the cold weather though... we were in so cal and I could easily boot the boy out back (communal lawn) to play ANY time.

Alright. I am inspired and I'll try to get some "before" pics snapped today, for the record, but also maybe I'll put them up and see what you guys think!

dissertating mom to three

#34 of 52 Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:

We are 4 (2 kids, 2 parents) in 640 square feet. We have decided that we'll stick it out here for another 2 years or so (office and schooling reasons) and then we will need to move to gain outdoor space, since we have none at present. By then we will be desperately in need of a simple way to say "go out and burn off steam!" This is enough room for what we need indoor-wise, but my number one piece of advice for small space living is to redo/review your storage and declutter 2-4 times a year. We have relatives who overgift, and honestly, that stuff either gets donated fairly quickly or it becomes grandma's house toys. That does make battery powered stuff way less frequent a gift! Cuts down on the huge gifts too. But there's also space for items where "it's not my style, but grandparents really want to give it and the kids really want to have it." Just not piles of it! This is our house from 2 1/2 years ago or so when DS was just a baby: 

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/small-cool-2008-east/east-finalist-family-of-fours-two-bedroom-studio-050441

I can try to get some more pics of the newer set up when we get holiday decor finished.

I love your layout! I would defiantly love to see more pictures/ space solutions. Here are some things DH and I were pondering last night:

-how and where to store dirty laundry/ cloth diapers/ clean towels and sheets 

-how to store clean clothing- we have dressers right now but I don't really want to bring them as they are HUGE 

Overgifting is a huge issue for us with DH's mom being the biggest offender : P This weekend she tried to give us this nasty three foot tall plant in the biggest pot I've ever seen. Last weekend she showed up at our house with garbage bags of stuff saying "Dad and I cleaned out the barn, here is some of DH's stuff from high school, thought he would like to have it!" Uggg we didn't even look through the bags, we just threw them all out because it was all junk. She does stuff like this all.them.time His grandmother is constantly trying to give us VHS tapes and DH is too nice to say no. I'm a hardcore minimalist, so it drives me crazy. I also end up looking like the bad guy when I say no to the random junk they try and give us : P I am dreading Christmas this year.....

We are very fortunate in terms of outdoor space - our 3 acres is on a mountain bordering 500 acres of wooded land owned by a friend. I want to try and get some pics of the land and mountains next time we are up there, it's absolutely gorgeous. It gets so dark so early now, it's hard to get up there before dark during the week! 

We're also building a small attached greenhouse- DH thinks there might be enough room to hang a sky chair from the ceiling, so I might make it my secret hideout : P

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#35 of 52 Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

At least in NYC people don't think its THAT crazy to live in small spaces.

: ) Right on, my family thinks we are completely crazy! 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#36 of 52 Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
 I love your layout! I would defiantly love to see more pictures/ space solutions. Here are some things DH and I were pondering last night:

-how to store clean clothing- we have dressers right now but I don't really want to bring them as they are HUGE  

I would limit towels to two per person.  If possible a shelf in the bathroom up high?  Clean clothing-under the bed storage boxes with the wheels so they roll in and out easy.  Clear plastic ones with labels on both ends.  Sheets-personally we have one set per bed.  But if you really wanted a spare set always store the set inside of one pillow case.  Those could also be stored under the bed.  Dirty clothes-what if you kept a rubbermaid tub in the trunk of  your car and kept them in there?  then you could just unload the tub at laundry mat , wipe out and reload with clean?  You could drill some holes in the plastic lid for air flow so things don't get stinky.

#37 of 52 Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm stiill figuring out this new MDC and I KNOW I screwed up the quote.  Positive of it.  And I can't figure out how to edit either.  Geez.

Anyway, like I originally said, my 3 kids are in one bedroom and they have a 45inch wide by 36inch deep closet.  We hung a second rod underneath the original  to give us more hanging space and everything except diapers, socks, undies, and jammies are hung.  They have one dresser to share and everyone gets a drawer for their stuff.   Everyone has two towels and 2 sets of sheets for their bed.  We have a linen closet in the bathroom and store the extra sets of sheets and towels in there with meds and toiletries.  I took out one shelf in order to fit a hamper for dirty clothing as well.  I have to figure out where to put the diaper pail because right now it resides in my room.  ICK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGranolaMama View Post

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#38 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 AM

i have been working my butt off trying to get organized over here! i think the REAL problem is not having any money AND trying to organize! i cant afford the containers or wardrobes or all the great IKEA stuff! im trying to make do with the plasticy crap i bought years and years ago! (seriously i have a "chest of drawers" that a pink and sparkly and plastic that held all of my painting gear from when i was 12! im trying to make that work as my "dresser"

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#39 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM

we have a niche in our bathroom that was inusable due to its height really. however i managed to get our old changing table in there and it has 3 levels on it sooooo top level is for CD, momma cloth, FC, on other side of shelf we have my toiletries and DH's. Second shelf we have all the towels and face cloths. third shelf we use for the hairdryer, TP, toiletries that arent often used and ECT. its working out great and i sort of up cycled the changing table!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#40 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

I would limit towels to two per person.  If possible a shelf in the bathroom up high?  Clean clothing-under the bed storage boxes with the wheels so they roll in and out easy.  Clear plastic ones with labels on both ends.  Sheets-personally we have one set per bed.  But if you really wanted a spare set always store the set inside of one pillow case.  Those could also be stored under the bed.  Dirty clothes-what if you kept a rubbermaid tub in the trunk of  your car and kept them in there?  then you could just unload the tub at laundry mat , wipe out and reload with clean?  You could drill some holes in the plastic lid for air flow so things don't get stinky.

A rubbermaid in the trunk is a GREAT idea : ) We kinda do a lot of laundry now and are spoiled with a washer and dryer, so I am thinking I am going to end up doing a bit of hand washing/ making an honest effort to try and re wear more than we do (which means putting a bib on DS every time he eats : P ) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I have to figure out where to put the diaper pail because right now it resides in my room.  ICK!

DH is terrified of the diaper pail : P so it doesn't surprise me that he is concerned about where it is going to live in our new place, the bathroom is yet to be built so kinda hoping there might be a little nook we can stick it in. 

Thinking about getting a couple of these for lighting in the kitchen area (not going to be doing electric stuff for a while but I saw these and fell in love ) - I was going to make them until I went to Lowes and priced fixtures- almost the same price as just buying them! And she's from Maine, so thinking I might be able to opt for pick up and save on shipping...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63349644/vintage-canning-jar-chandelier-created

#41 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A rubbermaid in the trunk is a GREAT idea : ) We kinda do a lot of laundry now and are spoiled with a washer and dryer, so I am thinking I am going to end up doing a bit of hand washing/ making an honest effort to try and re wear more than we do (which means putting a bib on DS every time he eats : P ) 

Quote:

I have to figure out where to put the diaper pail because right now it resides in my room.  ICK!

DH is terrified of the diaper pail : P so it doesn't surprise me that he is concerned about where it is going to live in our new place, the bathroom is yet to be built so kinda hoping there might be a little nook we can stick it in. 

Thinking about getting a couple of these for lighting in the kitchen area (not going to be doing electric stuff for a while but I saw these and fell in love ) - I was going to make them until I went to Lowes and priced fixtures- almost the same price as just buying them! And she's from Maine, so thinking I might be able to opt for pick up and save on shipping...

you could totally make those and save the money!

#42 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you could totally make those and save the money! forget Lowes. they dont have a bargain-type center near you? even target or something may have some cheap lighting that you could turn into those.

#43 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM

okay so lighting... the chandelier reminds me! Our apt is going to be subfloor level (aka basement... its a small NYC victorian townhouse, this floor was originally the kitchen and servant area I guess). There are windows but no direct sun at all, and very little natural light in general. Lights are going to be really important! I want lots of options. Do you have some energy efficient, thrifty and space-efficient ideas? I haven't even started looking yet.

dissertating mom to three

#44 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Those canning jar lights are amazing!  So creative!

#45 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM

re: diaper pail - a friend of mine used a wets bag hanging over the back of her bathroom door. She said it was great because she had to wash more frequently than she ever did with a diaper pail which could hold much more. 

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#46 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM

#47 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Maybe instead of a diaper pail you could get a three gallon icing bucket with tight sealing lid from a bakery?  More compact and odors won't escape.  Also add in TTO in the water.

#48 of 52 Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

#49 of 52 Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

So as a little offshoot, I'm thinking of Christmas.  My kids don't need any toys, nor do we have the room, and yet they'll come home from their dad's house with a CAR LOAD!  It's really sad the waste of money.  And I have no idea what to do.  Anyone deal with relatives who way overspend and you don't have room in your small home?

#50 of 52 Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

So as a little offshoot, I'm thinking of Christmas.  My kids don't need any toys, nor do we have the room, and yet they'll come home from their dad's house with a CAR LOAD!  It's really sad the waste of money.  And I have no idea what to do.  Anyone deal with relatives who way overspend and you don't have room in your small home?

Yep.  We have decluttered before the onslaught, tried to rein it in with hints, wishlists and complaints of no space.  Once the flurry is over, some will just be gotten rid of - charity, ebay, regifted.  I wish that the worst offenders lived closer so that the gifts could remain at their house - is that an option for you?

#51 of 52 Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm on the hunt for a good book/mag about small apartment living.  It would be different if I owned my own (then I could put a wall or two of shelves).  It makes things difficult when you can't paint and are discouraged from putting holes in the walls (not that these walls can handle any weight.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#52 of 52 Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliotsmum View Post

Quote:

Yep.  We have decluttered before the onslaught, tried to rein it in with hints, wishlists and complaints of no space.  Once the flurry is over, some will just be gotten rid of - charity, ebay, regifted.  I wish that the worst offenders lived closer so that the gifts could remain at their house - is that an option for you?

Yeah it is an option.  I'm single and my kids' dad lives 15-20minutes away depending on traffic.  They see him 3 days per week so the toys would definitely get used.  Problem is, he lives in the basement and it's about 450sqft I'm guessing.  So I know he's gonna tell me that he doesn't have the room.  Ironic ey?  He's cluttering up my 800sqft home that houses 4 people while complaining that he has no room in his 450sqft basement apt with just himself.  :)  I look forward to that conversation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page