Taking off shoes at the door - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to start doing this, but how do you keep it organized & not a big messy pile of shoes? We have a closet in our entryway but it's kind of in an awkward position (and not very big) so that's not a great place for them. Then we have about a 1-foot-square area right inside when you walk in but I can't figure out how to make it look nice if we put the shoes there. Plus we have a lot of shoes (for different weather etc.) so how do you keep it from becoming ALL your different shoes ending up in that pile? Am I making sense? I'm kind of tired/stressed today so not sure if I'm asking this correctly...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM

You need a good shoe rack for whichever location you choose. :) In our case, we have a small entry way closet, and on the floor is a small shoe rack that fits exactly 1 pair of shoes for each person. We have a larger shoe rack in the laundry room (which is the entryway we generally use, anyway). If your spot is full in the front closet, you carry your shoes to the rack in the laundry room.

When guests come over, they just line their shoes up on the entry way floor. This may or may not be acceptable where you live - here, everyone expects to have to remove their shoes in someone's house, so no one bats an eyelid at a big pool of shoes near the front door. :)

#3 of 27 Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 PM

We have a plastic mat for dirty/wet shoes and a wooden cubby (four slots) for the extra shoes we keep in the mudrrom area.

What about an over the door shoe rack inside (or outside) the closet?

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 27 Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 PM

have you found an over-the-door shoe rack that works for kids and large man shoes? we're going to need a shoe solution for our soon-to-be tiny apartment for the 4 of us. We are a shoes-off house and yeah, in our old apt the entry closet was sort of a shoe disaster zone. I am also currently trying to think through the whole "landing strip" idea... we'll have *very* limited space and I don't want it taken up by shoes and backpacks...

I do limit family members to 1-2 pr of shoes in active rotation, plus waterproof boots. But there is 4 of us so that is still potentially 12 pr of shoes!

dissertating mom to three

#5 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 AM

we do shoes off.. a family of 5

by the front door gets cluttered.. I personally had three pairs there this afternoon..

It is just a matter of picking them up and taking them back to the bedrooms. 

Boots and muddy get taken off in the garage/laundry area.

We have one set of flip flops by our back door that "kinda" fit all of us..(not the youngest) we use those for running out the door for chicken chores.

#6 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Could you hang one of those shoe organizer things?  That might work.  Or one of those sweater organizer things that go in closets.  Give everyone a pocket.  Or even just those shoe rack things that are like stacked bookshelves.  .  You need to use vertical space to stack them up.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

have you found an over-the-door shoe rack that works for kids and large man shoes? we're going to need a shoe solution for our soon-to-be tiny apartment for the 4 of us. We are a shoes-off house and yeah, in our old apt the entry closet was sort of a shoe disaster zone. I am also currently trying to think through the whole "landing strip" idea... we'll have *very* limited space and I don't want it taken up by shoes and backpacks...

I do limit family members to 1-2 pr of shoes in active rotation, plus waterproof boots. But there is 4 of us so that is still potentially 12 pr of shoes!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm the closet doors slide so I can't use an over-the-door organizer, and there's not enough space inside for a shoe rack (that's also wear we store the vacuum etc.)

I hate the idea of having essentially a narrow bookcase of shoes... I feel like it will look messy & unorganized lol. I really want something that conceals them. I guess I need to make a mini shoe closet (shelf with doors) lol.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Hmm the closet doors slide so I can't use an over-the-door organizer, and there's not enough space inside for a shoe rack (that's also wear we store the vacuum etc.)

I hate the idea of having essentially a narrow bookcase of shoes... I feel like it will look messy & unorganized lol. I really want something that conceals them. I guess I need to make a mini shoe closet (shelf with doors) lol.

Cant be any messier than them strewn all over the floor, right? wink1.gif  

What about a rack that hangs from the closet pole, not on the door or one for the floor since there is no room.  Kind of like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Mens-Hanging-Organizer-Natural/dp/B0000TQEZ6/ref=dp_cp_ob_k_title_0

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Closet-Complete-22116-18-Pocket-Organizer/dp/B002AKKE1I

or this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14511237

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#10 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Is there any other place you could put the vacuum to free up the closet space for shoes? Either stacking from the floor or hanging from the rod - or both! I would think that shoes get used a lot more than the vacuum.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#11 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post

Is there any other place you could put the vacuum to free up the closet space for shoes? Either stacking from the floor or hanging from the rod - or both! I would think that shoes get used a lot more than the vacuum.

LOL not in our house!! DS's favorite 'toy' is the vacuum (and we also use it several time a day because... well, we have a toddler!) But that closet is the only one on the whole first floor (besides our bedroom & bathroom closets which are both too narrow to even fit a vaccum)...

HollyBearsMom, something like that just might work! I'll have to check the dimensions & move things around a bit to see if we can fit that kind of thing. Will be a tight squeeze, but maybe it would work. The other thought I just had was something like a mini storage ottoman type of thing right around the corner but that probably won't fit DH's giant shoes (seriously... his feet are huge!!) Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, it's just hard to start a new routine (taking shoes off upon entry) when I can't figure out exactly how it will work but the house is such a mess I don't know why I'm focusing so much on this one thing lol!!

#12 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

IKEA has some good solutions.  We have shoe racks along the wall, but it looks like furniture, so it is nice.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#13 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 PM

I would say set up a place to sit for guests to take their shoes off, a rack or we have a basket or old wooden crate to store shoes in and we also on keep out the shoes we use for that season. (we store summer ones in winter and vice versa). We also have a covered area outside of our door and kick our shoes off there. Guests usually pick up on it and then come in and do the same. (everyone except my mom, who refuses and has so for years eyesroll.gif)

#14 of 27 Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

look for asian-style shoe cabinets. these typically are waist or chest high, not too deep or wide, and come in a variety of finishes. they typically have two doors, and inside two drawers on top (great for things like keys, wallets, etc on one side, and mittens, hats, scarves on the other), and then below, a grid of 4, 6, 8, etc "shoe boxes" for individual shoes.

they can cost anywhere from $50 (for MDF painted in asian motifs or black) to thousands of dollars for antiques. they look nice though; i really like them. :)

#15 of 27 Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM

I've seen those plastic mats at kohl's for $10. I couldnt talk myself into it though.

We converted to no shoes maybe about 2 years ago. We have a limit. It is more unspoken, but when dh and I both respect it. There are only 3 adult pairs thgat stay out.My everyday shoes, dh's shoe of the day (he changes each day, but I dont) and dh's slippers, which fut both of us. In the summer, instead of slippers we kept a pair of burks by the door. That way we can slip them on to run out side if we need to. My son has two pairs of shoes, and we use our fireplace brick part as a shoe shelp for him. We have taught him to place his shoes neatly in their spot. We keep the rest of the shoes in our closets. We just make a point to be neat about.

It is harder in the winter. In the summer shoes go off and on so easily. My dh wears laced combat boots a lot, so it is annoying for him. But, my ds keeps on him and tells him to take his shoes off.,

#16 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM

DH and I used to live with my family in Hawaii before DS was born. It was a shoes-off house (very common in Hawaii), and there were 7 people total living there. My Mum had a wooden shoe cubby by the front door. It worked great because it got all the shoes off of the floor, and kept the pairs together each in their own slot.

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#17 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Could you put the hanging over the door shoe rack on the entry way door? I don't know if that would still look messy. I have the little cubbies from Target like this but mine is white and doesn't hang on the wall http://www.target.com/Rubbermaid-Configurations-Shoe-Cubby-Unit/dp/B000MPQM2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=shoe%20cubbies&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1304638605&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Rubbermaid%20Configurations%20Shoe%20Cubby%20Unit&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

I hope that link works. For the littlest 2 I can fit 2 pairs of shoes in each cubbie front to back. And for slim shoes like sandles I can stack one on top of the other and fit several pairs. I don't know if something like this would fit your space. Also mine was on a great sale so like $20.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#18 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Our main entry is through the garage and we have a teeny tiny entryway. I'm thinking of getting a shoe/boot tray from Ballard Designs. It'll still be sloppy but in a fancy container, lol. I've tried racks and bins but for us they're not practical--everyone wants to slip on their shoes from the floor, not search and find. I agree w/ the other posters who say the key is to only have out the shoes everyone's wearing at the time. So in theory there'd only be 4 pairs of shoes in a tray for my family of 4. When we have guests they enter through the front and they just leave their shoes on the foyer floor.

#19 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

I didnt read the whole thread but here's what we have-- a basket for shoes and it slides under our old coffee table which is now our table for entryway stuff/the take-upstairs basket. So you can reach in a bit or slide it out and it's pretty concealed. You could get a bin that is even more hidden but I like I can pop shoes in and out easily and it's mostly hidden. So small table plus small basket might work for you. We just kinda haul shoes up to closets if it get too full of random pairs. Mostly just our daily one or two smile.gif
#20 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Google "shoe cabinet" and you'll find a ton of narrow options good for small spaces.

Ikea has some great basic ones for not much cash.

Others get nicer and really look a bit like furniture. 

You could also do vertical shelves in your 1 foot space with a basket in each for shoes.  One per person.  When it is full, you gotta take your shoes up to your closet.  Lining it in a good plastic will prevent drips and make clean up easier.

#21 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

We try to limit the number of shoes that everyone in the house owns - really only 1 pair for each season, and that is all that is kept at the front door.  The rest are stored away with the off season clothes.  Right now DS just has a pair of runners and DD has a pair of Mary Janes by the front door.  In a month or so when it is consistantly hot those will go to their bedrooms and their sandals will come out.  DH gets two pairs of shoes (seasonal and work shoes), and I usually have one or two.  They all live on a shoe rack in the front closet.  Guests just leave shoes in a row on the entry mat.

#22 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM

i love this kind of shoe rack

http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-122434-.htm?utm_medium=cse

it looks like furniture, not like shoes. it's a great way to store everybody's shoes.

#23 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM

We have been using a basket....in a rental so don't want to build anything in...

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#24 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

Google "shoe cabinet" and you'll find a ton of narrow options good for small spaces.

I'm in the same quandry as the OP.  We almost always enter from the garage into a teensy weensy mud room. But this looks like it could work for us....and maybe the OP, too!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=%22shoe+cabinet%22&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14674969393033555220&sa=X&ei=zsXFTdCMM4OksQPIkunrAQ&ved=0CGMQ8gIwBA

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#25 of 27 Old 05-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

i have tried any number of different ways of managing this, and it always ends up in a pile. LOL So funny how this happens. I've had shoe racks, just lining them up, a show cabinet, etc etc etc etc etc etc. I've tried everything.

Rules helped. 1. only 3 pairs of shoes allowed "out" on that rack at a time. If you are going to wear a different pair of shoes, those have to go back into the closet OR you move one pair from the rack to the closet. 2. muddy shoes go into the muddy shoe spot (which is a special sisal door mat). 3. Your other two pairs go in a line. 

DH is the worst offender. DS and I only have two pairs of shoes out: wet weather and dry weather. DH has 6 pairs of shoes out -- most of which he doesn't need out at all! He doesn't like to be bossed, and he doesn't like me to move his stuff, but i do the second anyway. Because I need the space to be clean. :D

#26 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/1fb9e276-3ec5-4e21-a5b9-451704660742.jpg

I do not require no shoes in the house.  (I tried it, then stubbed my toe and dropped something heavy on my foot.  For my feet's safety, I should probably always wear steel-toe boots. I swear, though, it only happens when I'm unshod.) But, we keep a shelf by the door to place shoes on.  I have to police it often. 

#27 of 27 Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM

When my kids were younger we used to have the usual lineup of shoes by the front door, or inside the entry closet if our home had one. Now that my kids are older (and we have no entry closet again) we all carry our shoes to our bedrooms and store them there. It took us a while to remember to pick up shoes before walking as far as the front door, but we've all adapted. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page