So what's working for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some things that are working for me:

3M Command hook on the back of the front door for keys and low ones for kids to hang their jackets on.

Plastic bins with covers for toys - one type of toy per bin. nothing else has worked.

Your turn, tell me one thing that is working for you.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#2 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

a canvas basket in the corner of our stairs at the bottom to toss clutter into that needs to make it upstairs.  I need one for the top to go downstairs as well I'm thinking.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 PM

An Ikea shelf with baskets. Inside each basket is total chaos but since they're all on the shelf you can't see the mess anyway. smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

i did something similar with bookshelves, I used cardboard boxes which I covered  with "fake wood looking" self adhesive plastic & on about every yard long shelf I have one of those because

- you can put more in a box than if you were just stacking books "normaly"

- it has an "unifying" effect on the eye when you enter the room

- plus ... I don't always like visitors having a look at what I read when it's about "personal growth" subjects !!!

#5 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 AM

we have a metal wire desk organizer hanging on the wall by the door.  It is thin so its not strange... drilling the holes was annoying but otherwise it looks like it is meant to be there.  We keep bills and pens there as well as the keys to the shed.  My husband also took a fancy to storing other junk there so I need to clean it out.  he also keeps his wallet and cell phone in it sometimes as an attempt to not lose them before going to work.  It doesn't always work because he often puts them elsewhere too.

In the living room, we had a basket for remotes and cords we needed often as well as batteries... now we have a love seat with a center console so everything is in there instead.

#6 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

An Ikea shelf with baskets. Inside each basket is total chaos but since they're all on the shelf you can't see the mess anyway. smile.gif

I love those Ikea baskets too...have a row of them next to my bed, and mine are filled with all sorts of stuff but from the outside they look lovely and neat!

SAHM to three
#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM

I want to answer this question for myself...

This week's new and helpful trick: in the middle of the day when I'm at risk of losing my intention to be orderly, I scribble what each of us will have for dinner that night (different diets), what my son will have for lunch the next day, and what snacks I need to organize now for after school. Ingredients or components of meals get prepped as much as possible, and the snack goes in the cooler and waits outside the door til I leave. In the evening chaos, husband and I can refer to the "menu" to see what needs doing next.

I sure wish I had at least one more thing to add right now...

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page