Reflections on this forum - no longer afraid to come here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awhile ago, I posted that sometimes I was afraid to even come in here because sometimes I feel so hopeless and overwhelmed. Well things are really much better.

I'm taking part in the 150 before Christmas challenge and it's really, really motivating. It sounded like a lot and I doubted I could even do it but I decided to play along. I had just dropped off 3 bags of child and maternity clothing to a neighbor and I didn't itemize it so I wasn't sure if could make it without that boost. Now I'm totally motivated. Having a very specific goal in mind is really, really helpful. I'm reading that in a housekeeping book for messies as well. It can't be just that I want the house to be "better," we need to have a specific goal in mind. The 150 challenge is useful because I have a goal - so even getting rid of 1 tiny little thing brings me closer to that goal of 150. Before I would think - what's the point of getting rid of this 1 little thing. Or I'd put it aside and wait for more before I got rid of it. Just this morning I knew I was going to Goodwill and I looked around my closet (now a lot cleaner than it has been for the last 6 weeks) and I was like - quick what else can I grab. Then I saw that stupid shoe rack AND I remembered that I had already set aside a pile of clothes that I was ready to part with. See - the 150 item challenge made me want to add to the pile.

I'm totally going for the 2011 challenge in 2011.

I still can't really look at anyone's pictures because it just makes me think of how far I need to go, but I may try and do a "treasure map" where I cut out pictures of clean, clear organized spaces and hang it up. Then I'll look at your real life pictures.

Just thought I'd share.

catscharm74 and Masel like this.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#2 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

That's awsome!  I agree having a goal (timelines are good for me) really helps.  I'm sure you'll get your 150!

#3 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I find what helps me is to leave the house with appliances "working" for me. Dishes and or washing machine going. Then, I make errands count.. like today I took the extra DVDs out to sell, dropped off at Goodwill, returned the library books. Next time I head out, I've got a stash of extra recyclables that I have to take to a special city drop off spot. Try to think of all the little chores you can squeeze into your day. I can wipe down the stove while I talk to my girlfriend on the phone. Combine this with a quick kitchen clean up at night and suddenly life doesn't look so dirty.You get the idea.

#4 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM

DH has this 'thing' about not leaving washing machines or dryers going while nobody is home, he always says murphy's law is they will start a fire, explode or whatever just when we are out! 

SAHM to three
#5 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM

In 25 years of keeping house, I've never had an appliance go wonky on me while I was away.

#6 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Yes for you!!! Every little things makes a huge difference. I love to look at the pictures since it helps motivate me...one day my house can look that awesome toon:)

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#7 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Yay, Ellien!  I have been thinking of you and I am so glad to see this.  Keep at it!

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#8 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Good for you! thumb.gif

I think a 'vision board' or whatever you want to call it (the pictures) is a great idea! Good luck to you.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#9 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

DH has this 'thing' about not leaving washing machines or dryers going while nobody is home, he always says murphy's law is they will start a fire, explode or whatever just when we are out! 

Ahh, but is he willing to have it running at night? That's the time I like to run the dishwasher and make sure the last load of laundry is in the dryer. Sometimes I'll even throw a load of clothes into the washer at night, just so I have something to dry in the morning.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM

I almost forgot about my 150! Eek! I need to get motivated. Good job finding the motivation you needed.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#11 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Ive been feeling the same way at first it seems weird to talk about cleaning and keeping house with others then I realized I a mom this is a big part of what I do Im talking abouit what I " do " with others who are doing the same thing it a great modavatior and sense of comutiny and kinda cool

#12 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Whoo hoo!!! It helps that we are all doing this "together" too!  Knowing that I'm not the only one helps a lot.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page