Children's shoe storage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a very small space. I have a closet with an over the door rack for my shoes, but dc's shoes are a mess. Between the two of them, including slippers and boots, they have 20 pairs. (an estimate I'm embarrassed to share!) currently they are in three baskets/ bins and are in the way and difficult for them to find the match. We don't have another closet. I am on a serious budget.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

I use the over the door thing too, but my kids each only have 3 pairs of shoes + their snow boots.  It sounds like you need to de-clutter the shoes redface.gif

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM

I have a couple of these hanging up in the coat closet to hold kid shoes.  They don't take up much space at all, and the 2 shoes fit in each slot nicely.  I found them for $3 at Big Lots. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT21l4NSq_DDJu9JdJzAhcFCo2hh1OrSO-hQWc0Cs3NHZPguELnQ

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Hi there, not stalking you, just happened upon this.

Wowsers! 20 pairs! I know that the girl I babysit has a lot of shoes too. Jack does not. I often wonder if it is my own limited number of shoes that makes me have a limited nmber for him.

Jack has 2 pairs of shoes, 1 brown and 1 black. In the summer he has sandals and in the winter he has snow boots. Then he has a pair of rain boots for year round fun. So, there are never more than 4 pairs in circulation.

It maybe time to downsize on the shoes.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM

I also have one of those things that drummer's wife posted. I used it all through college and it worked great. Maybe you won't have to downsize after all.  

Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM

Each of my children have their own room, so they keep their shoes in their own bedroom. My son only has 2 pairs shoes so they just sit in the corner. My teenage girls have a LOT of shoes, so they both have a shoe rack in their rooms.

If space and money are issues, I would agree with the PP that cutting down on shoes would help, and in future aiming to be more selective about how many you buy. It's hard isn't it...I love shoes too!

SAHM to three
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that I bought too many shoes! Most are used and I can get carried away when things are priced at $1. They each have 2-3 pairs of slippers which were gifts. Anyway, I think I'll weed out what they probably won't wear and see if they can go to holiday helpers. Maybe then just keep a few out and put the rest in a bin in my closet.

And boy, this a quick moving board!

Whatever, Matey. I know you have nothing better to do than follow me around on here. And I am oh so interesting.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm just so obsessed with you ! orngtongue.gif

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM

We use these from Ikea, one per kid http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90181124. But they have 6-8 pairs each, including slippers, rain boots, and snow boots. The boots all live with the raincoats and snow pants in another closet so the bulkiest stuff is out of the equation. Everything else fits in their bin and it works for us. They have enough that if a shoe is missing, they can wear a different pair, so I just throw all the shoes I find into that kid's bin. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

User Tag List