Managers of Their Chores/Homes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Reviews please? I'm considering buying at least the Chores book, probably both eventually.

Right now chores, cleaning, school, and everything just are not getting done - my 4yo has no concept of chores or helping without being told and prodded/bribed to do it. Meals are whatever we throw together at the last minute, and the house is a total WRECK.

I've tried Flylady - didn't work. Tried Sidetracked Home Executives - didn't work. Tried Motivated Moms - didn't work.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 3 Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It depends on what you are looking for. The basics of it is you seperate your day into 30-60 minute "sessions" where you do a preset task (cleaning, cooking, reading, bathing whatever) and once that time is gone you stop and go onto the next task. I do warn theres a section on scheduling babies that some people might find offensive but even the lady that wrote the book said that not everyone wants to /would work for them so if you find it offensive/know it won't work then don't read the chapter. I read it anyway but didn't find it that bad (for example she says that it helps to schedule but of course if the baby is crying to nurse don't make them wait to feed them because they are hungry).. The chores one I haven't read yet but it looks interesting. I don't know how it would work for younger kids because I can't see my almost 4 year old doing the chores without someone walking her through them. However, my girls are a little implusive so trying to get them to do anything without sitting on them is hard. 

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use the Managers of their Chores witih my kiddoes. For awhile I did not clip the cards to them.  My oldest does OK now on her own.  I've gone back to the card holders for the other two, who need that dangling reminder. I like it for the kids.  For myself, I do fine menu planning. But I don't LIKE doing some housekeeping, so it's a struggle.  I've borrowed Sidetracked from a friend to read.  I'm OK with a certain level of mess. My personal priority is quality, homemade food, so that's where I put my energy. That's why I'm teaching my kids to help around the house, so I don't have to do it all!

As for the Managers of their Home/Chores, yes she schedules babies. I say take what is useful, disregard what is not. 

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page