Christmas Mega-Cleaning Session? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Anyone else doing a major house cleaning before Christmas?

I've been cleaning since last night - we're about half-way done with the living room. We had tons and tons of laundry in there to fold and put away and baskets of junk. I still need to call a local charity to get them to pick up some furniture to get that out of the way.

The kitchen is next followed by bathrooms and master bedroom/school room. Then I have to tackle the spare bedroom which is so full I can barely get into it.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YES!  Just last night...for no particular reason I became inspired to do more decluttering.  Last night I did a playroom purge and today I worked on the hall game closet and the laundry room cabinets.  I am getting such a rush stuffing things into the secret goodwill bags in the garage.  I love being all cleaned up at the holidays!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 10 Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 AM

We are hosting a party on Saturday, so we will be having a major cleaning in advance of that.  Well, a major cleaning of about half the house.... and the cramming of clutter into the half that our guests won't be seeing. 

I am really eager to get started on an extreme declutter and organization, but there just isn't that kind of time between now and the weekend (especially as I have daycare kids here 50+ hours a week and they both add to the destruction and prevent me from getting anything done).  So we will be moving a lot of stuff into our spare room, while doing a deep clean of the rest of the house. 

Putting up the tree always leads to a deep clean of the living room because it requires moving the furniture around, which in turn uncovers all manner of junk under the couches and giant dog hair tumbleweeds. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#4 of 10 Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Working again today on the mega-clean and declutter - I went shopping this morning and stopped by our local Habitat Re-store to schedule them to come get the large desk and anything else I find to go as well. They come on Thursday to get it so I am cleaning out for them to get the desk out. Still working on the living room - almost done with it. Just have to get the desk moved, move a bookshelf, and move DD's toy area.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#5 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Starting tonight!  DH is bringing the tree up from the basement after DS goes to bed, so when I get home (I work afternoons), I'll probably roll up the rug and mop the floor.  I might also do some furniture rearranging, but I'm not positive yet where I want the tree to go this year.  It's usual "home" is occupied by a new shelf for DS's toys, plus some decor.  But the plus is that there is NO clutter in the living room. 

But I do need to declutter the mudroom and dining room before the weekend.  DH is going to occupy DS for me tomorrow afternoon, so I can hopefully get it all done in one fell swoop.  Barring any catastrophes.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#6 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Our big party is solstice... the 21st. I've scrubbed all the bathrooms, de-cluttered the living areas and planned the menu. Next, I need to empty the hall closet for guest coats and get everything dusted. More to do, I'm sure I'll spot it as I go along.

#7 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Did a little work today but not much - I'm suffering from either a cold or allergies, I'm not sure which. Either way I'm miserable and can't breathe.

But I did get all the laundry hung in the closet today, a bunch of clothes sorted out for our next yard sale, and a chunk of the master bedroom cleaned up. Tomorrow they come to get the desk, and I'll finish up the living room then. After that I'm taking it easy for a while until I get over this bug. I have foam ornament kits to do with my daughter to decorate our tree anyways, and I need to make a batch of applesauce ornaments too so it smells nice.

Still need to finish before Christmas:

Living room - desk gone, bookcase moved, toys moved, table cleaned off

Bedroom - clutter picked up, toys but away, school room area cleaned up

Closet - floor decluttered, blankets put away on shelves

Bathrooms - Cleaned & decluttered

The kitchen - enough said.

#8 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Living room is now finished except for the table and dealing with totes of stuff. Desk is GONE!

Everything else is tabled as I'm sick.

#9 of 10 Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM

I am!

I'm feeling the need to get the house decluttered before more stuff comes in.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 10 Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Yep, we're slowly working our way through the house. We hosted Thanksgiving and then everyone came down with something over the last few weeks since. DD is on round two already, which means I've been spending most of my time comforting and caring for her versus working on the house.

Thankfully, we got the front and backyards ready for winter prior to the rains. I also got all the charity items to the Salvation Army on Friday. Yesterday, I got all the shipping boxes we had been saving for our own mailing needs broken down and recycled. Today's task is to get our project room (within sight of kitchen, which is where we dine) back to order. I'm also hoping to get the tree finished and all the accompanying accoutrements put away...

Then, we can focus on actual cleaning over the next couple days before family starts arriving. They are staying with us and everyone comes here.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page