Getting rid of old diaries and picutres. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read in another thread about getting rid of a diary,how is this done? My thoughts are very private and I wouldn't want strangers at the recycling center to be able read anything that was written and I wouldn't  want to even rip it all up myself before tossing it into the recycle bin,they'd still be able to read it. I don't have any way to burn them either since I live in an apartment with no back yard,I suppose I could have tossed them all into the small fire that started last night during my fudge making ;)

Also I'm afraid I may regret it though I haven't read these books in years and most of the writing is actually very scribbly and hard to understand. Maybe I'm ready to get rid of the box of old diaries and make room for new memories.

#2 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Yep that was me who threw out my old diary...I realised that there was no way I wanted to keep that diary, although it had a beautiful cover, there was no way I ever wanted anyone to read it.  First I was only going to throw out the pages I wrote on, so I tore them out and then shredded them to little bits, put them in the rubbish bin with the food scraps. Then I realised there wasn't much point keeping the half mangled diary so I tossed that too!

I think if it something you are worried about people reading, then no, don't recycle the paper...put it out with the food scraps tied in a bag. Unless you are a celebrity, it is highly unlikely anyone is going to go through your food scraps.

It's not like you would normally do this, so I don't think you need to worry too much about not recycling the paper in this one instance!

SAHM to three
#3 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I shredded mine (we have a paper shredder).  It was very VERY liberating!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I found it liberating too...I thought I would feel guilty after but I felt so light!

SAHM to three
#5 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I really like throwing away old diaries... I have couple from the last ten years but nothing before htat.  I find that once enough time has passed for me to want to throw it away, it doesn't really matter to me if someone finds it and reads it.  But you can also throw them in a bucket of water and it will make the ink run.  Won't work for pencil tho- then I would do the food scraps idea.

#6 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 AM

I've been considering this.   I have a little Rubbermaid bin in the basement with 6 or 7 journals in it from grade school up to mid-college.  The grade school ones are cute, but once I got into high school, I wrote about a lot of dark and unhappy things.  I met my future DH at that time, and with an age difference of 11 years between us (which resulted in family disapproval, drama with my friends, and lots of soul-searching), I had a lot of inner turmoil.  I read through a bit of one a month or so back...  And especially taking into account that I only wrote when I was unhappy, it's really not something I want to relive.

But, I was also impressed by how much I've grown and changed in the past 10 years (DH too, assuming I represented him accurately).  I was young and naive and angry, but I also had some flashes of insight that were pretty amazing.  I keep wondering if I should set aside a day or two and really go through them one last time before I burn them.  They are certainly not something I want my children to read, so I know I'll be disposing of them eventually.

My mom brought a few of hers on a backpacking trip we took together.  One night, she tossed them onto the campfire.  She'd been waiting for years and years to do it.  I remember being a little sad that I would never be able to read about her in her own words after she died.  But they are her own private thoughts, and obviously I completely respect her right to do with her journals as she pleases!  I just wish that I had journals from my grandmother or great-grandmother that I could use to learn about them, their lives, and their feelings. Although I suppose if they're anything like mine, they wouldn't be an accurate representation at all anyways...

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#7 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 AM

I think a lot of the usefulness in journaling comes from the writing it out once - not necessarily the re-reading. I think what you throw out depends on how you'll feel when you read it. Will it show you how far you've come? Or will it just remind you of something better left in the past? 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

I may ask a friend if her freplace works and if it does if she and another friend would liek to have a burning ceremony. Or I'll ask if she has a shredder that I can borrow and shred my pages. 

#9 of 22 Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
 Although I suppose if they're anything like mine, they wouldn't be an accurate representation at all anyways...

This is exactly why I chose to destroy mine...reading through my anxious ramblings at the time, one would be tempted to conclude I was slightly crazy!  Which is not entirely accurate!! lol.gif 

I was using my diary to work through feelings, but they were ones I have since resolved, and nobody else needs to know my thoughts of the time. 

SAHM to three
#10 of 22 Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks for this thread! I just started a thread a few days ago about going through all my sentimental stuff. After claiming wholeheartedly in that thread that the journals are the only thing I know for sure I will never get rid of, I am having serious second thoughts! I sat and read through pages of one them the other day. I always had this image that one day my kids would read them all and see all my adventures and the story of my life etc. And I have a terrible memory so I thought they were the only way I would remember everything that really happened clearly. But reading through them was really hard. I cant believe that person was me. My priorities were so horrible and man, the mistakes I have made along the way! The person writing is so far from who I am now. I dont think I would want anyone to read them, EVER. And I am in a place which is moving forward from the past and Im not sure I should take them with me. I wonder if one day I would regret that when I am a wise old lady (winky.gif) and can appreciate them and treasure them. But at the moment even I don't want to read about who I was back then.

Those who have destroyed them, how did you know you were ready? And did you have any regrets??   

#11 of 22 Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

For me, too, by golly!  orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 22 Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to my friend and she's into having a nice little burning party when her fireplace is cleaned out and ready to work better! To bad it wasn't before the new year though,oh well.

I feel that I might be ready b/c I just had a baby and that part of my life is over now. I'm not getting rid of everything from my past,just my journals. They are mostly full of pain and anger and a lot of confusion.

#13 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM

I purged mine a few weeks ago. I have a fireplace so I burned them all. I got rid of clutter and found a useful way to use them. I did tear out any pictures I sketched and all my poetry....I have a very large book that I keep my poetry and sketches in. Very nice gift from my sis.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#14 of 22 Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post
They are mostly full of pain and anger and a lot of confusion.

Ditto here.  I am so glad to be a completely different person from who I was then....I feel like I literally don't even know that person any more.

SAHM to three
#15 of 22 Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Thanks for this thread! I just started a thread a few days ago about going through all my sentimental stuff. After claiming wholeheartedly in that thread that the journals are the only thing I know for sure I will never get rid of, I am having serious second thoughts! I sat and read through pages of one them the other day. I always had this image that one day my kids would read them all and see all my adventures and the story of my life etc. And I have a terrible memory so I thought they were the only way I would remember everything that really happened clearly. But reading through them was really hard. I cant believe that person was me. My priorities were so horrible and man, the mistakes I have made along the way! The person writing is so far from who I am now. I dont think I would want anyone to read them, EVER. And I am in a place which is moving forward from the past and Im not sure I should take them with me. I wonder if one day I would regret that when I am a wise old lady (winky.gif) and can appreciate them and treasure them. But at the moment even I don't want to read about who I was back then.

Those who have destroyed them, how did you know you were ready? And did you have any regrets??   

I am feeling the same way.  I have so many stories as a teen that are of me running around dating and I sound like a totally different person who I cant stand, but I wonder if my daughter may want to read about her flirty mom some day.  And through out the journals, I have family stories so i may just pick through the 20 journals I have and make one or two special ones.

#16 of 22 Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

I am feeling the same way.  I have so many stories as a teen that are of me running around dating and I sound like a totally different person who I cant stand, but I wonder if my daughter may want to read about her flirty mom some day.  And through out the journals, I have family stories so i may just pick through the 20 journals I have and make one or two special ones.

Yeah that's what I am thinking of doing now, just writing down in point form all the important stuff that happened/facts etc. The rest just seems meaningless now. But there are a lot of things that happened that I dont remember well over time and I think they are important as they shaped who I am. I will defintely do it on my computer though so that I dont have any papers to worry about winky.gif 

#17 of 22 Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Ack!  You people are freaking me out.  As much as I love to declutter, I can't imagine getting rid of diaries.  scared.gif  No way.

But, we all come from different perspectives - one of my favorite parts of MDC is seeing how differently people view topics.

Have great fun with your burning party!  love.gif

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#18 of 22 Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 AM

A couple of days ago I destroyed 2 shoe boxes of letters, cards, pictures, 2 full binders of notes from a high school boyfriend, and 2 journals.

It was great! I realized they weren't making me happy.  Looking at them only made me angry when I read about things I had long forgotten or gotten over- reminding myself just made the emotions fresh again.  I think I know where 1 more is that I can shred tomorrow :)

Thanks for pointing out that one of the points of writing things out is to just write them out and resolve it and then move on.  Next time I write something, I think I will destroy it immediately after!

#19 of 22 Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM

lurk.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#20 of 22 Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM

For items, such as diaries or papers that are personal, I had a ceremony of sorts. I said a nice prayer and then tossed them into a fire. : )  VERY liberating.

#21 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM

I never kept diaries because I have a very snoopy mother, but I had two boxes of letters from my first big love-of-my-life, from whom I was parted prematurely, picked back up with years later, and things ended VERY badly. Burning these felt like a good and necessary thing, but I lived in a house with no fireplace and a city with a no-burn policy. I decided to shred them (by hand, I had no shredder) and put them in a Weber BBQ grill. Once set alight, they made oodles of smoke and were sending little bits of lit paper into the sky. I was sort of freaked out about the no-burn thing and the massive amount of smoke these were making, sort of freaked about the karmic aspect of burning these letters, and then I heard FIRE TRUCKS coming towards my house. Convinced they were coming for ME, I ended up putting the lid on the BBQ, which only made more smoke but didn't put them out. So then I took the lid off and doused them with water. Of course, the fire trucks were not coming for me, and the papers ended up charred and soggy, and I scooped them into the trash at that point. Not the quite dramatic cleansing experience I had imagined. So, make sure you have a spot where you can burn them openly is my advice.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#22 of 22 Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Me too!! My diaries are basically the only things I feel attached to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post

Ack!  You people are freaking me out.  As much as I love to declutter, I can't imagine getting rid of diaries.  scared.gif  No way.

But, we all come from different perspectives - one of my favorite parts of MDC is seeing how differently people view topics.

Have great fun with your burning party!  love.gif

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page