Creative, ATTRACTIVE ways to organize kids' art supplies, puzzles, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't mind storing my own art supplies in plastic bins since I rarely have time to use them & can keep them in the basement closet. But DS uses his art supplies on a daily basis & so we keep them in the living room (which is basically his playroom & the only room we spend any significant amount of time in during the day, so I really want something more attractive than plastic bins). Also want it to be cheap (something I could find at the thrift store or make myself, preferably!), maybe that's not realistic...

Ideally, I'd like to be able to put paint, playdough, glue, markers out of reach & keep crayons and SOME (but not tons) of paper/coloring books accessible. Hmm this just made me realize that I probably could put most of the art supplies in storage & just keep out a few fresh jars of playdough, a dozen markers, etc. instead of keeping everything out (I always tend to cluster things in one place but I guess it's silly to keep out more than he needs at any one time, he's not even 2 yet!) Guess I'm just thinking out loud here. Also, he just got a ton of puzzle-type toys on this idea: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Beginner-Pattern-Blocks/dp/B00005O63Q that don't have covers so I'm not sure how to store them. I guess I can stack them on the shelf but since they don't have covers I think it would make a mess if DS knocked them down getting one out...

Anyway, I'd love to see pics of what others have done!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not my house, but I loved these pictures:

here

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/blogging/new-york-social-diary-lisa-mahar-home-069959

and more pictures of the same house here

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/32280

It inspired me to sort all of DD's toys and put them in lidded plastic boxes on a shelf so it is easier for her to see what she has and easier to put stuff away.  She really enjoys it and has already figured out how to take off and put on the lids.  I don't mind the plastic boxes, but you could also use jars like Mahar does.  I use a few baskets too.  A friend of mine does all baskets.

Maybe I'll try and get some crappy cellphone pics later.

#3 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i use the shorty wide mouth mason jars for everything, and put it up on a shelf that she cant reach. bringing down just a few items at a time for her to work with really helps too. like, instead of bringing the whole jar of crayons down i grab 3 or 4 colors and give them to her. she's only 26 months, so doesnt have too much preference yet on what colors she uses. once she gets older and starts having preferences i am hoping she will also be old enough not to scatter them across the whole house in 2 minutes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page