New approach to the post Christmas sales... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made the decision to go to the Boxing Day sales because we really needed a new toaster.

I was nervous that my brain would turn to mush in the shops and I would be sucked in to buying stuff I didn't need....but I was amazed how easily I coasted past all the stuff that people were sifting through. In previous years I would have been right there along side of them, seeing what 'bargains' I could get...yeah stuff I never knew I needed till I saw it on sale.... whistling.gif

I managed to come away with only a toaster, and a calendar for the new year at half price, and one solitary book for $7.50 (reduced from $27.50)...and guess what the book is about........decluttering!  ROTFLMAO.gif

I came home and said to DH what a fantastic shopping trip it was....he looked at my small amount of shopping and said "It doesn't look like you got much" and I said "yep, that was what is fantastic about it."  thumb.gif

Is anyone else braving the sales?

SAHM to three
#2 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 AM

I've had to brave our local shopping centre two days in a row now! On  Boxing Day DS1 had an emergency appointment at the dentist which is located *in the centre* and today I took my sons to the movies as it was raining and they were given tickets as Christmas gifts.

It was pretty crazy - driving around for ages looking for a park, security guards directing people in and out of elevators, etc. I don't like the vibe at all. I didn't buy anything, stayed away from Meyer, DJs etc.

Good for you for just getting the toaster! And what book was it? :)

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#3 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 AM

I was going to go out yesterday to get some storage bins and such, since they're all on sale.  DH has a small home-based business building emergency lights in addition to his full-time job.  Our basement is packed with LED bulbs, miscellaneous electronics pieces and parts, wiring, and heaven-knows-what-else.  He isn't the most organized person to begin with, and having to buy parts in bulk hasn't improved the situation any.  I desperately want him to move his business stuff out to the garage workshop, but for now it's living in the basement. 

I also wanted to get some Christmas lights.  Our pre-lit tree didn't light this year, so I'm going to pull the lights off it and string new ones.  I was waiting for the lights to go on sale, and I'm sure they are now.

But, since DS was a tired, miserable wretch yesterday, I skipped it.  Guess there are upsides to crabby babies! 

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 AM

I did pretty well. I did purchase some wrapping paper, but we use it sparingly and I got enough for at least 3 yrs worth of wrapping. I also bought a new bathroom rug since ours had a hole in it and a new measuring cup (broke mine while making cookies).  I did buy one item I really didn't need to, a puzzle christmas book for the kids for next year.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM

I did some one-line shopping (LL Bean, 3 items for $40 plus free shipping), bought myself a dayplanner (MIL usually gets me one, she didn't so I ordered it), and ordered some Dansko's online ($39 including shipping, a bargain).  Then we went out shopping and I got a cami and sweater for $15 from Old Navy, DD got 3 tops and a pair of sweats with a Christmas gift card, hubby got a nice top for $8, I got my ears re-pierced (top hole), and hubby returned some items that were duplicates and got some fleece pants and a CD (also undies and a toothbrush).  Oh, and I got a vest at 60% off during that last stop.

So we did a little post-Christmas shopping, but they were all good deals and things we needed (well not the ears...but I'm ok with it!) and we didn't go overboard.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#6 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 AM

I bought lunch and a coffee, and nail clippers - we're visitng family and I forgot them at home. DS is clawing everyone - his nails got so long, so an intervention was needed.

I was tempted to browse, but together as a family we kept our resolve.

sleepytime.gif
#7 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_hugger View Post

Good for you for just getting the toaster! And what book was it? :)

Thanks..got the toaster in Myer so it was quite challenging just getting through all the crowds to get it!

The book is "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. One of the few Australian decluttering books I have come across.  It says on the front that Sydney Morning Herald called him the "Undisputed King of Decluttering."  I am enjoying reading it so far!

SAHM to three
#8 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM

I braved the sales at Target to get Christmas stuff for next year.  DH will FINALLY not be deployed for Christmas (we haven't spent it together in 3 years) so I wanted to get the must have decor stuff.  I got a 7 foot tree, tree skirt, tree topper, and 50 ornaments for 50 bucks.  All we will NEED for next Christmas is some lights so I think I did well!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page