Mothering Forum banner

Condiment clutter

523 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  renaissanceed 
#1 ·
I have a condiment problem. I like to cook, often Chinese or Italian dishes, so I've accumulated a ton of special suaces, ingredients, and oils. I have so many that they don't fit into the rack on the refrigerator door, and they've spilled over into the rest of the fridge. I do only have a single rack on the door (my mom has 2), and I think that's why my fridge looks so awful.

I hate to waste food, but I want my fridge back! Does anyone have any suggestions for storing them neatly/accessibly if they have to be on the shelves instead of in the door rack?

#2 ·
I have a baker's rack that I store all my spices/condiments/non-perishables, etc. I keep only open items in the fridge and dispose of them if they've been there for over a month or so without use.

I keep a list of things I'm out of, so if I want to cook a particular recipe, I know what I have to go to the store to get. Our grocery store is just around the corner, so it's not such a big deal.

#3 ·
First off, are you sure they all need to be refrigerated? Sesame oil, soy and Worcester sauce, and various other things can be kept in the pantry.

Secondly, if you have fancy sauce - from a gift basket or whatever - that you're not planning to buy again, use it up. (I speak from experience!)

Thirdly... hmm, how about those little mini-racks you use to create "tiered seating" for cans of food so you can see the ones at the back? Could you put short jars like mustard or pesto on those, with other stuff in front?

#5 ·
#6 ·
We had this problem too and used a basket approach. We corralled the ones that were overflowing into one basket and now they hang out together and don't get in the way of everything else in the fridge and if we need something, we just pull the basket out and pluck out the correct item as opposed to moving 14 small bottles all over the place and getting irritated. I've also tried to start planning meals to include the sauces we have and even started a list posted on the inside door of my cupboard of recipes we like using rarely used items cause I will often forget what I made with the strange items I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.