Where do you keep random objects? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a hard time finding places for things like sunglasses, cameras, ipods, etc. Little things that you use all the time but don't really have a category. I like having my camera handy so I can photograph DS, but leaving it out on my dining room table is obviously not a solution. I guess what I'm referring to are those things you need to put away but don't really have a place for because you use them quite often. Anyone have a suggestion?

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 17 Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM

My sunglasses are ALWAYS in my purse because I wear them constantly.  I keep two cameras and our videocamea on a shelf in an armoir in the living room...so I always know where it is.  Usually my mp3 player in on a shelf by my kitchen sink because I listen to it while doing dishes. 

My answer to everything is bins.  Or baskets.  Clutter can look nicer if it's contained.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 17 Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Yeah, or a special drawer can work, too.

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)
#4 of 17 Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Sunglasses in the car....camera in the top drawer of the dresser/armoire that holds the TV. Just got Mp3 players today...and they'll probably either go in a drawer in the kitchen (where we keep keys/wallets) or with the camera.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#5 of 17 Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My husband and I have a wooden box with a lid on our coffee table. Little things like ipods, stamps, change, and pens find their way in.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 17 Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Electronics go in the 'charging station'.  Right now my desk is in libmo since im assembling a new one but look for 'charging stations' on amazon or somewhere.  They are total lifesavers.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 17 Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 AM

I keep my sunglasses in my purse.  If I had a compact camera, I would keep that there too. 

#8 of 17 Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM

I have a basket by the front door for keys wallets sunglasses and such. Electronics end up there too if they aren't on a charger.

It's just one of the cheapie baskets they sell for sorting out make-up/hair supplies, mounted with 3M stick and release tabs. It's stayed up for about 6 months now.

#9 of 17 Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I was always anti-basket (I just don't like how they look) but I'm going to try to find a pretty one, because it will look better than all this stuff strewn around.

#10 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM

can i add to this list?!

batteries

lighters (for a non-smoker)

small tools you use sort of often so you want to keep them handy (not in the basement or garage) like a couple screwdrivers and a small hammer

duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, lol

hmm, i'm seeing that all these things could probably be kept together somewhere, but where do you keep this stuff?

#11 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM

I have baskets. 

There's one on the coffee table to hold small kids' toys instead of carrying them all the way down to the playroom and coasters.  There's another on a side table that holds batteries, little tools, pens, pads, etc.  Dh's got a basket on his desk for his random stuff, sunglasses, hats, etc.  My camera sits on a little shelf on my desk.  Sunglasses are always in my purse.

#12 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM

We have a pretty wicker basket in the mudroom right where you walk in. This is where we keep sunglasses, glasses cases, receipts etc.  I clean it our/organize every few months.

I have a decorative key holder mounted on the wall in the muddroom for our keys.

My camera is always in my handbag

Iphones/Itouchess/etc are charged in the kitchen.

We have a junk drawer in the kitchen for things like screwdrivers, hammers, screws/nails, duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, scissors, etc

For batteries I have this mounted in my mudroom closet and it is the best! I got mine at Lillian Vernon but have seen them at Lowes/Home Depot, CVS, etc

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00282K4L8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000O8UB0W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0367SK50K95WJVXKHFPF

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#13 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM

If you don't like baskets, how about some nice piece of furniture with drawers? I don't like baskets because they are open, I like my clutter enclosed & hidden! lol

We have a small desk where we keep the camera, spare batteries, stamps, etc. You could also use a kitchen drawer (bonus: this would be motivation to declutter in the kitchen!) or maybe one of those 'charging stations' that has little drawers for phones, phone chargers, etc.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 17 Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM

For us in this house (sometimes it changes in different houses - we move every 2-3 yrs):

cameras, MP3 players, wires that go with these - kitchen drawer (1 of 2 I have in our peninsula, away from the rest of the useful drawers)

batteries - we have a piece of furniture that has 2 drawers, one of which is designated for batteries, battery charger, small screwdriver for opening battery compartments

lighters - over my sink I have a small plastic bin in the cabinet with my 3 sharp knives, adult scissors, and lighter for grilling (our grill is right outside the kitchen)

screwdriver, masking tape, scotch tape, painter's tape, post-it pads, pens, house folio, small mini baggie of twistie ties, rubberbands, and paperclips - in my other kitchen peninsula drawer for quick retrieval (in our basement we have our family room with the armoire desk where we also have more tape and desk supplies)

For us, I try to simply keep the things we use a lot in the kitchen, since we all live in there anyways - easier that way!  I used to like baskets, but then I realized they do not work for me - I just do not like to see junk out in the open, so I try to keep it hidden for my own sanity  :)

#15 of 17 Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM

I put a mesh shoe holder (with like 24 pockets) over the basement door in the mudroom.  It's not the prettiest thing, but I put lots of random stuff in there (sunglasses, dd's random hair clips, sunscreen, mittens, hats, bracelets, diaper bag supplies).  It works out pretty well because you can see everything in there, and everything is separated.

BFandHS likes this.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#16 of 17 Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post

I put a mesh shoe holder (with like 24 pockets) over the basement door in the mudroom.  It's not the prettiest thing, but I put lots of random stuff in there (sunglasses, dd's random hair clips, sunscreen, mittens, hats, bracelets, diaper bag supplies).  It works out pretty well because you can see everything in there, and everything is separated.

We have one of these in our coat closet and it is one of the best investments I've made in the past year.  Ours holds bug spray, sunscreen, little cloth bags, crayons for travel, diapers and wipes ready to go, flashlights, the first aid kit, goggles (for swimming and and for chem lab), the candle lighter, the camera/cords for the camera, and a little "meal kit" with bibs and wipes.  When the baby was younger, I also rolled up my babyhawk and sling and kept them in it, too.  It is super-handy.

love.gif

#17 of 17 Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I think the mesh shoe holder is a great idea! I am definitely going to try that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page