What is your favorite furniture item for organizing stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds really wanted this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50147735 for his room.  It would have been perfect but it's a bit too pricey for a kids room.  So, we ended up getting this instead: Cubicals .  

I, however, still want the Ikea one for my room (I think it's a little more sophisticated. I would put it on it's side.)

What are you using that really works for you?  (I'm not talking about closet stuff, by the way.)

I still need something for the hallway between my living room and kitchen.  Right now, I just have a folding unfinished wood bookcase and it looks awful.  I think I need something with doors there but I don't want it looking cheap (yet I can't afford much.)

Organizing is so tricky! (we have tiny closets and no other storage space.)

Tell me your ideas for organizing!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM

i would have to say the buffet in the living room.  it's normally a piece of dining room furniture, but it works so well in our living room to hold CDs, records, knitting stuff, remotes, etc.  i got it on craigslist for $40.  if you google "mid-century modern buffet" then, yep, pretty much looks exactly like that.  a door on each end with three drawers in the middle.

most of my furniture came from craigslist or the thrift store (or . . . ikea, or ikea by way of craigslist!).  these are good options for small spaces!  i do think vintage or ikea are the best ways to get those slightly more petite versions of things.

won't your ds be upset if you get yourself exactly what he really wanted for his room?

#3 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post

won't your ds be upset if you get yourself exactly what he really wanted for his room?

Nah, he chose the one that we ended up getting so he's fine with it.  He's in my room all the time anyway...I don't think he makes the distinction of mine vs his yet.  To him, it's all his.  hahahaha

#4 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM

ha, i know what you mean!

i have used those fabric bins that coordinate with the shelf you got him.  they're pretty handy for lighter weight stuff, but not sturdy enough for heavier things imo.

#5 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

They now have metal bins ($4.99) that go in the unit.  I got a few of those to start.  I'll add more when/if needed.

#6 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

They now have metal bins ($4.99) that go in the unit.  I got a few of those to start.  I'll add more when/if needed.

Oooh! Metal bins? At Target? NEED them. We have one of those units in our playroom with a couple of fabric bins, but metal would be fabulous for trucks and heavy stuff.

#7 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You can find a lot of IKEA stuff on Craigslist and IMHO the Expedits are totally worth it and not really expensive at all. The ones I have are very sturdy and I love them. You can also get inserts with drawers and doors designed especially for the Expedit. If buying one new is too much for your budget haunt Craigslist for awhile and one will probably turn up there.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM

I use a lot of small bookcases because its what we can afford. Eventually Id love to get units like the Ikea ones.. Oh and metal buckets would be awesome! The girls are soooo hard on the cloth/plastic ones we have Im worried they are going to break them/tear them

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 20 Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the metal bins from Target. I got the solid black and the nickel. (scroll down to see the solid ones.)

#10 of 20 Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Here are the metal bins from Target. I got the solid black and the nickel. (scroll down to see the solid ones.)

drool!

#11 of 20 Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

There are also some sort of woven baskets (with metal frames so they're sturdy) that fit inside.  My Target has them next to the metal bins and also in their displays.

#12 of 20 Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM

We have this turned on its side: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088 with woven baskets in each of the cubbies. We have DVDs, games, some of Jude's toys, and one for battery chargers and stuff like that. It looks all pretty and organized but it's total chaos inside some of them (perfect for neat freak me and my clutter-lovin' husband lol.gif).

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#13 of 20 Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just reorganized my son's room.  It's not ideal (I'd really love a long shelving unit like the Expedit) but it's better than it was.  I just have to put up curtains (and hardware) tomorrow.  Oh, and the Flor rug that I bought months ago for $28.  It should look much cozier this weekend.

#14 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

We have this turned on its side: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088 with woven baskets in each of the cubbies. We have DVDs, games, some of Jude's toys, and one for battery chargers and stuff like that. It looks all pretty and organized but it's total chaos inside some of them (perfect for neat freak me and my clutter-lovin' husband lol.gif).

I have this same shelf.  Right now it is on its side in DD's room.  It is just the right height for a changing table for me (I am short so that might be why) and I have cheap lined baskets underneath with our cloth diaper stash.  She also has books on the bottom and we have a small trash can tucked in a shelf for when we occasionally use disposable liners.  I've had this shelf for several years, moved it a couple of times and it is still really sturdy.  I am actually going to Ikea this weekend to get this with our Christmas money http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79871745 for Dd's toys in the family room.  I wish I had the money for a small new entertainment center/TV stand.  Now that DD has mastered the art of emptying the DVDs off the shelf I am dying for a drawer or cabinet to contain things better.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#15 of 20 Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM

My favorite piece of furniture was the china hutch I got on craigslist for $200. It is solid oak and fits not only our wine glasses and dishes that used to clutter up the kitchen, but also the blankets, dog grooming supplies, toys, and other random things we use in the living room.
Craigslist is great for inexpensive furniture finds!

sleepytime.gif
#16 of 20 Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post

My favorite piece of furniture was the china hutch I got on craigslist for $200. It is solid oak and fits not only our wine glasses and dishes that used to clutter up the kitchen, but also the blankets, dog grooming supplies, toys, and other random things we use in the living room.
Craigslist is great for inexpensive furniture finds!

thumb.gif I got a solid cherry china cabinet with glass doors on top and interior lights for $100. The guy just wanted it gone fast before Thanksgiving. It is the most magnificent lego storage systembiggrinbounce.gif  The finished pieces are displayed on the shelves and protected from dust.  The bins go in the cupboards underneath.  And there are two drawers, one I have reserved for my papers, but the other houses baseplates.

The other piece I love is a low dresser.  I upholstered the top and sides so it can be used as seating (it was originally a built in and the exterior wasn't finished).  It is great for storing all the wood train pieces.  Tracks in one drawer and all the buildings in another drawer.  The engines, people, and cars are in a shoebox size bin that fits in the drawer. 

I have some of the cubicals and use them for crafts and science kits.  I have four 1X2 cubes lined up under a window so they are 4 across and 2 high with fabric bins.  I don't LOVE them but I love having a home for what they hold.  

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#17 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM

I have two favorites, both antiques.  First is a massive bookcase with leaded glass doors.  It's almost 5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide with 6 shelves.  It was NOT cheap (though inexpensive for what it is due to a few little flaws), but I can fit a ton of books in it.  They're protected from dust and, because it locks, DS can't pull everything off the shelves.  And it's gorgeous!  It really "makes" my living room, kwim?

The other is an antique, mission-style secretary desk.  It has three drawers, plus 2 more tiny ones in the "desk" part.  Also a few little cubbies and niches to help me keep my paperwork organized.  Before I bought this, I just had a little phone table.  It was a mess.  I had pens, phonebooks, candles, and all kind of junk on and in it.  Now it's all neatly organized - and out of sight.

I love antique furniture.  Our home is small by modern standards 1100-ish sq ft, and many modern things are just too big.  We could never fit a sectional or big entertainment center in our living room, for example.  But since the house is old, antiques fit just right and look like they belong.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#18 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Our home is small by modern standards 1100-ish sq ft, and many modern things are just too big.  We could never fit a sectional or big entertainment center in our living room, for example.  But since the house is old, antiques fit just right and look like they belong.

1100 sq ft would seem pretty big to me! (my apartment is really small.)
I love antiques, too.  I just don't have any these days (I used to have them before moving to another country.)

#19 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

Our home is small by modern standards 1100-ish sq ft, and many modern things are just too big.  We could never fit a sectional or big entertainment center in our living room, for example.  But since the house is old, antiques fit just right and look like they belong.

1100 sq ft would seem pretty big to me! (my apartment is really small.)
I love antiques, too.  I just don't have any these days (I used to have them before moving to another country.)

Sometimes 1100 square feet seems big to me also.  We have an entire bedroom that we don't really use.  If we have another child it will be DS's room, but if it's another boy, our nursery will later end up as an extra room because the boys will share.  I'm far from being a minimalist, but I can't imagine a living in a house much bigger than what we have.  It would be empty!

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#20 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I admit that I would love a big house. shy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page