#538-541; shirts

#542-591; old photos

#592-593 paint brushes

#594: part of an outdoor light

#595: vase

#596: old screen

#597: pair of gloves

so far; 597/2011

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#722 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

donate:

loofah sponge - never used

socks

bath towel

toys - 3

kids pants

cups - 4

pen

stand for barbie

jeans

fleece jacket

tshirt

single use wipes 4

hand towel

waterproof sunglasses case

samples from dentist 6

toothbrush cover

travel soap

travel mirror

denture brush

cleaning supply

face powder

recycle:

battery 2

garbage:

broken toy wheel

misc items 5

Old total 313/2011

New total 356/2011

#723 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

What i have decided is that EVERYTHING counts because it is all these types of things that clutter up a house.

i like this.  does that mean i can count every sheet of paper that i recycle (i've been counting them as 1 stack of papers)?  i just don't know how i will make it to 2011 if i don't start doing that. 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#724 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 AM

OK, I sorted and got rid of a bunch of papers and cleaned out 3 small drawers full of trinkets. I think that counts for at least 10.

630/2011

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#725 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM

93. backpack

94. 2 crib sheets

95. sweater

96. sweater

97. 2t dress

98. 2t sweater

99. tights

100. pjs

101. shirt

102. pants x 3

103. sweater

104. diaper (going to friend)

105. 2t dress

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#726 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2 broken fairy wands

6 pair socks

1 sweater

3 t-shirts

3 pair jeans

15 + 521 = 536/2011

#727 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM

binned:
chipped glass
lots and lots of fabric scraps...I didn't count them individually I did count 14 different fabrics, so I'll count them as 14
a piece of second-hand fabric I am never going to use

recycled:
some oversized coloring pages hiding deep down in my drawer of sewing projects...if dd hasn't noticed that they were missing then she doesn't really want them

#728 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Just got caught up on all the February posts! You ladies are amazing! Haven't had the chance to post, but have been keeping track of things and will update later today after my day's cleaning is done. I have been thinking about what counts, like many of you have mentioned. For example, I just bought a new bath mat and am donating the old one, does that count? Or, things from the fridge etc... What i have decided is that EVERYTHING counts because it is all these types of things that clutter up a house. My parents are hoarders, my mother just passed away and the things she had is astounding. It has solidified my decision to count everything that leaves my house. YKWIM?

Yes, if that's what works best for you then do that.  Everyone just has their own "rules" I think.  I could decide to count molecules and throw away 1 eraser and be done :P  If holding onto things is a problem even after you replace them, then your plan sounds like the best plan.  For me, I mostly want to see how many less things I can have by the end of the year, so I subtract each new thing that comes in (except food, toilet paper and other consumable things).  This is because it's more of a minimizing/simplifying/compacting challenge for me.  Do whatever motivates you and works best for you :)

#729 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I haven't been keeping up on decluttering for thenlast week but I have bought a lot of stuff eyesroll.gif. ( insert sarcassum )

Today I am tackling my cloths and DS room
#730 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM

I've been working in spurts again....I have some stuff gathered to take to either goodwill or to my work to give to people if they want before donating, but I haven't counted that. For my birthday I was super excited to......declutter/clean my bonus room!! It was the highlight of my b-day (is that pathetic?? LOL) I mostly put things back where they belonged and re-organized but did manage to get rid of some junk as well as several empty boxes. I'll be heading up there again in the next few days, I think. So, I am up to:

-10 old torn up dogs toys

-10 old torn up undies

-11 socks with holes (DH's-with permission)

-30 boxes, old calendars, bags, etc etc etc.

So I am up to 555/2011. Over 1/4 done. I think I could do all 2011 just in the attic alone, but this will probably be the last place I tackle as I need DH to help me up there.I'm going to continue with the bonus room as well as work on decluttering my clothes (one of my hardest spots) the rest of this week adn this weekend.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#731 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post

411/2011

36 food items from fridge and cupboard binned/flushed/jars recycled

4 water bottles (2 with bad energy attached, a job I hated)

4 baby bowls

2 pairs of hubbies worn out undies

7 items of clothing from Older DS

464/2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we each all have our own rules.  I don't count the in-coming stuff (although in some cases, I should, like yarn).  I also count repurposed, used (as in yarn), turned into something useful, things hung up (like shelves) that have been sitting around forever.  Do it your own way.  Whatever keeps you motivated, and moves your home into a happier more comfortable place.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#732 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

952/2011

Cleaned out the filing cabinet and filed a few new things- 2
1 CD

955/2011

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#733 of 1617 Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM

16 more hangers

1 baby blanket of mine

1 expired medicine

2 dried up playdoughs

1 metal

1 make up brush

1 nail polish

7 bibs

-1 kid shirt that I decided to keep

-aluminum foil DP says I have to keep to line the bottom of the oven. I wonder if that's safe for food?

#734 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 AM

repurposed:
table runner I don't use anymore into pillow sham
an unfinished sewing project someone gave me for the fabric (and I accepted because I'm a fabric hoarder) into a play clothes for dd
a pair of faded, paint-stained yoga pants into cleaning rags

#735 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Had to take a break for a few days but got to 1610/2011 yesterday.

#736 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Alrighty I'm in.  But I think I'll need to wait until things are actually out the door (and out of the car) before I post them.

I've got a medium sized box of books for Half price books and a big bag of clothes for goodwill ready to go, perhaps this will prompt me to actually take them instead of leaving them sitting by the door where they've been for the past month.

#737 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 AM

4 pacifiers

2 pair BabyLegs

6+ 536 = 542

#738 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM

binned:
2 old, partially stained, and partially moth-eaten fabrics someone gave me (why did I think I would use them?)
tabs cut from tab top curtains long since repurposed
unusable parts of a couple of garments that were repurposed a long time ago
abandoned sewing project (ugly second-hand fabric not worth saving for another project)
toy boat that dd keeps taking apart and insisting I put back together
perfume someone gave me as a gift

and I made a dish towel out of the fabric leftover from a recent project

#739 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM

160 baby cloths and blaknets and baby proffing stuff

#740 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM

The kitchen sink sprang a mysterious leak this week, prompting me to cleaned out the cupboard underneath it where we keep all the pet supplies and other random junk.  Can I just say... YUCK!!!  There's nothing worse than a moldy, dark cupboard in the kitchen.  Ick.  Now it's clean, dry, AND organized.  Hooray! 

Trashed:

3 ant traps

1 old soap dish

1 bag of mildewy catnip

1 really filthy cat toy

1 bag of expired cat treats

1 box of old cat medicine

Also, I took dinner to a friend who just had a baby, with strict instructions not to return anything in the box.  So that adds:

1 aluminum casserole pan

3 plastic containers with lids

1 cardboard box

And, wrapping a gift this afternoon, I reused:

1 little decorative jewelry box

1 gift box

1 gift bag (I hoard these, so this definitely counts as clutter going out)

1 ribbon

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#741 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

Quote:

What i have decided is that EVERYTHING counts because it is all these types of things that clutter up a house.

i like this.  does that mean i can count every sheet of paper that i recycle (i've been counting them as 1 stack of papers)?  i just don't know how i will make it to 2011 if i don't start doing that. 

Well based on what I am finding and dealing with as I clean out my deceased mother's things little by little since my father hates to rid ogf things as she did - YES every bit counts! Really, you are dealing with it now - so take credit!

#742 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

Quote:

Just got caught up on all the February posts! You ladies are amazing! Haven't had the chance to post, but have been keeping track of things and will update later today after my day's cleaning is done. I have been thinking about what counts, like many of you have mentioned. For example, I just bought a new bath mat and am donating the old one, does that count? Or, things from the fridge etc... What i have decided is that EVERYTHING counts because it is all these types of things that clutter up a house. My parents are hoarders, my mother just passed away and the things she had is astounding. It has solidified my decision to count everything that leaves my house. YKWIM?

Yes, if that's what works best for you then do that.  Everyone just has their own "rules" I think.  I could decide to count molecules and throw away 1 eraser and be done :P  If holding onto things is a problem even after you replace them, then your plan sounds like the best plan.  For me, I mostly want to see how many less things I can have by the end of the year, so I subtract each new thing that comes in (except food, toilet paper and other consumable things).  This is because it's more of a minimizing/simplifying/compacting challenge for me.  Do whatever motivates you and works best for you :)

ITA, Totally get this! In fact, I am in awe of the way that you are balancing the 'in & out' of items. You are so right in saying we just have to figure out where we are each at individually. Right now, I am at the point of promising myself that my children will never have to go through what I am when I pass. It is hard enough to mourn and recover from the loss of a parent. When you have to then take care of the hoarding that has taken place for too many years it becomes even more exhausting (can you tell that I am sad & tired?) smile.gif

#743 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM

What do you do when you lose count? I just started purging and forgot to keep track...but we didn't have mail for two days last week from taking us off of lists of catalogues and such. Yay! But I love mail...Will start counting again.

bf, cd, no circ, selective vax, attempting toddler ec'ing, kick off your shoes at the door while we trying to simplify our lives kinda family.
#744 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

Quote:

ITA, Totally get this! In fact, I am in awe of the way that you are balancing the 'in & out' of items. You are so right in saying we just have to figure out where we are each at individually. Right now, I am at the point of promising myself that my children will never have to go through what I am when I pass. It is hard enough to mourn and recover from the loss of a parent. When you have to then take care of the hoarding that has taken place for too many years it becomes even more exhausting (can you tell that I am sad & tired?) smile.gif

Aww you are too sweet! Hang in there, you can do this.  I wish I was there to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgyrl View Post

What do you do when you lose count? I just started purging and forgot to keep track...but we didn't have mail for two days last week from taking us off of lists of catalogues and such. Yay! But I love mail...Will start counting again.

Estimate?

#745 of 1617 Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM

I am kinda excited- I posted awhile back that I was wondering how much of a dent 2011 things would make because I didn't know if I owned 1,000 things or 10,000 things.  I've gotten rid of enough now, that it's actual a feasible task to count whats left. I've always wanted an inventory for insurance purposes anyway, and yes this is a little OCD of me, but I really wanted to know how many things there is.  I will let you all know what the final total is, but it's looking like maybe 3,000? That would mean I got rid of 1/4 of our stuff.  I could be way off, who knows! Off to go count my clothes.. lol

a rug

12 stamps

1 princess wand

2 playdoughs

1 pineapple corer

30 pieces of my jewelry including ex-wedding ring

1 ugly jewelry bag

handful of brand new hair rubber bands that I think are ugly

5 butterfly hair clips whose antennas always get tangled in my daughter's hair

4 pencils/markers

1 painbrush

boxes baby books go in and a pile of stuff from a drawer

chapstick

a sock I found all really dirty on the kitchen counter- I said what is this? "oh I was so tired last night I thought it was a rag and cleaned a pot with it" lol

3 things of food that had been in cupboard for a long time

21 hanging file folders

1 kids plate

1 medicine

1 crayon sharpener

2 organizers

1 wonder woman tin pail

14 hangers

2 boxes swiffer duster things

1 pair drumsticks

#746 of 1617 Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM

2 post-op walking boots to Medical Resupply place

bag of infant feeding viles in sterile packaging - same place

infant finger feeding thing - see above 

2 small bags and  the bag they were in to GS luggage drive for foster care

147/2011 - I feel so behind! But at least things are leaving. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#747 of 1617 Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 AM

binned:
3 old shoe shine brushes (three of at least a dozen! How many shoe shine brushes does one man need? And he never uses them. I only threw out doubles of a kind because I can justify that if needed.)
old shoe sponge
old shoe cream

recycled:
tourist brochure
book (a dictionary, at the least the fifth(!) copy of the same edition, and I'm sure that there's at least one more!)

found a place to store a satellite decoder that had been sitting on top of a bookshelf in our living room since just before the last World Cup

#748 of 1617 Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

147/2011 - I feel so behind! But at least things are leaving. 

Don't think of yourself as being behind. You have 147 fewer things cluttering up your house, that's progress. We all move at our own pace, and it's only February, you have plenty of time to meet the goal. And honestly, the number you reach at the end isn't as important as the commitment to change habits.

I'm at 835 now, but I'm not sure that I'll reach 2011 because I'm about to hit a plateau and start moving much more slowly. I made a big push in the beginning so that I wouldn't feel discouraged by moving slowly later, and because I have a really hard time keeping myself motivated. But I don't really care if I don't make it to 2011. Even if I only make it to 1400 or 1500, which I think is a real possibility, I'll still be happy with the results and proud of my accomplishment!

#749 of 1617 Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Cleaned out the pantry today (love Motivated Moms for getting me to do stuff like that). 

Recycled:

10 plastic baby food jars and lids (why was I saving so many of these??)

Donated:

46 plastic bread bags (again, why???) -- counting as 2 items, though, since they all fit into 2 bags

Trashed:

5 items of expired food (one of which expired in 2001. That's just ridiculous)

1 tea bag I couldn't identify

5 empty cardboard boxes

8 ziplock bags in varying stages of disintegration

dozens of random bits of trash from pantry -- empty plastic bags, collections of something the bugs got into, old ketchup packets, etc.  Yuck.

Repurposed:

5 jars to hold herbs and teas (got them out of the plastic bags they've been sitting in)

I was wondering why DH kept saying the pantry was too full to fit anything, yet there wasn't anything to eat in the house...

And,

1 more book sold on Amazon for $4.82.  New decluttering profit total: $160.17.  Yay! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#750 of 1617 Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM

131/2011

Recycled a ton of old paperwork that is not needed anymore...the double sided went into the recycle bin the one sided went into the kids art box.  

4 old clothing items of mine that were in various states of disrepair...

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page