2011 in 2011 - Page 39 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1141 of 1617 Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear ya on the itemizing...too much work!! I did count up how many items in a few different categories...(for example: baby, women's clothes, men's clothes, toys, and housewares)...but individually listing each thing is NOT for me!! That's not simplifying anything!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#1142 of 1617 Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 PM

I find that writing a list of what I am getting rid of actually motivates me, so it depends what works for you.

I couldn't be bothered though to write each item separately like 1. spoon, 2. spoon, 3. spoon etc....but just writing '3 spoons' is pretty easy LOL.

SAHM to three
#1143 of 1617 Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 AM

powerpuff girls tin handbag

2 pairs kids pyjamas

3 separate PJ items

1155/2011

SAHM to three
#1144 of 1617 Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 AM

dh's moldy shirt

damaged knife

some bits of electrical wiring

expired pantry item

darned a sock that had been cluttering up the top of a dresser for a couple of months

used two and a half meters of fabric I've been saving for the "right project" for FIFTEEN years...it even made a transoceanic move with me...to make a pair of trousers and I LOVE them.

#1145 of 1617 Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM

I've lived in my house for over 10 years, but that was my list from this January. I purged over 2010 things last year with the challenge, but haven't been able to get everything listed on here though. I've been making a list in my notebook. I tend to go in spurts instead of every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

OK Gray's Mommy, your list totally made me crack up.  How long did it take you to collect all that clutter??? 

I'm trying to get at least 5 items a day out of the house.  I figure that if I stick to that, I might make my 2011-item goal. 

Yesterday's list:

- formula sample from the hospital (good riddance, too)

- goofy baby hairbrush/sponge thing, also from hospital

- 2 old Mylar balloons

- broken pencil

- icky piece of wrapping paper I was saving for some unknown reason

Today is looking to be a good decluttering day... I'm hoping to catch up a bit now that I'm done babymooning...

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#1146 of 1617 Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I just moved... counting the cr@p as 200

New totals 1059

$63.13

(I gave a lot to the babysitter instead of bothering with selling it all)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#1147 of 1617 Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post

used two and a half meters of fabric I've been saving for the "right project" for FIFTEEN years...it even made a transoceanic move with me...to make a pair of trousers and I LOVE them.

Isn't it a great feeling when you finally get to use something you have held on to for so long.

Last night I unearthed some tracksuit pants and a really nice quality jumper that my oldest daughter wore when she was 8....they now fit my son, 11 years later, so it was worth keeping them all that time. :)

SAHM to three
#1148 of 1617 Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM

magazine

old iron with burnt stuff crusted on it (I'm not allowed to iron polyester anymore)

another old iron that doesn't work (I think DH was intending to try & fix it.  It's been 2 years.  It's going in the trash.)

box of breast pads from the hospital

children's book

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#1149 of 1617 Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 AM

2 books

4 teflon cake pans

2 bags pull ups

tent

9 + 1416  = 1425/2011

#1150 of 1617 Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

1023/2011

2 pairs of shoes that my post pregnancy feet are too big for
2 baby outfits
The contents of two totes combined so getting rid of one tote
Front closet decluttered (moved things to other closets so things are easier to find)

1029/2011

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#1151 of 1617 Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Going with my parents to East Texas for various family members, etc....

Ladies clothing--82

Mens clothing--24

Pairs of shoes--7

Lightweight throw

Total=114

268/2011!!

Tomorrow I will go through the stuff they didn't want, count it up, then haul it off to Goodwill...then I'll add in those totals too!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#1152 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 03:16 AM

old beach ball

furby kids ball

2 packets of scrapbooking things

moisturiser

hair gel

big pile of old kids bracelets

more than 50 old hair ties and headbands!

old storage thing with pockets to hang on door

plastic cutlery

deodorant I can't stand the smell of

1215/2011

SAHM to three
#1153 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 AM

540 plus:

to Boss' resale shop charity:

Bathroom accesssories consisting of: 

2 towels

2 wash cloths

2 hand towels

shower curtain

soap dish (with unopened soap)

water cup 

toothbrush holder (all really hard - part of my wedding registry for the first apartment we lived in and I ADORED that stuff. Just loved it. But it never really worked when we bought a house. I hope someone else likes it. I tried to sell it but got no takers). 

Also: 

2 crib sheets (one unopened)

1 small pillow case (matches above)

baby blanket

collection of baby einstein videos (3 or 4). 

2 pair of shoes pitched/donated to some kind of water charity?

4 broken Cassette tape boxes (yes, you read that correctly). 

DD's cardboard creation

random trash from under DD's bed. 

calling it 

New total = 565. 

Yesterday DD sorted through about 2/3 of her books and agreed to get rid of about 45 (well 15 to give away and 30 to baby bro). 

We have the final shelf to do today but I think she will still be left with 225 book. It's a  start. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#1154 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM

Scheduled to go out:

14 books back to taking Library

8 books to day care

7 books to be sold

4 books to Library for $.25 shelves

Already out

ratty underwear

torn pjs partially made into baby wipes 2 year ago (for Holiday helper thread that never got to the mama). Finally used when we were all vomiting and now THROWN AWAY

#1155 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Isn't it a great feeling when you finally get to use something you have held on to for so long.

Yes, but I'm hoping it doesn't encourage me to keep up old habits. But to be honest, I've learned so much from doing this challenge about what gets used eventually and what doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

old iron with burnt stuff crusted on it (I'm not allowed to iron polyester anymore)

another old iron that doesn't work (I think DH was intending to try & fix it.  It's been 2 years.  It's going in the trash.)

I thought we were the only ones with multiple broken irons! We have two right now, one that doesn't work at all (dh has been meaning to fix it for a few months,) and another that heats up but doesn't make steam. And I tossed another really old crusty one back in January or February. It's such a relief to know there are other iron-challenged people out there.

#1156 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM

7 shirts
3 trousers
pinafore
shorts
hoodie
2 coats
snowpants
mittens
2 hats
leg warmers
bathing suit
pair of baby slippers
pair of booties
bag of baby hair clips
baby bloomers
2 onesies
sleeper
pajama bottoms
pillowcase

#1157 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Our basement flooded and DH and I have been working on cleaning it out all day.  I don't think I can keep up with numbers, but maybe just writing in will inspire me to keep some kind of track of what we are ridding.  So much of what we need to get rid of is crap that people gave us since DS was born in March, 2010!  I am torn between trying to sell stuff on e-bay vs. getting rid of stuff through Goodwill.  Our local resale store pays so little for child's clothes that it is hardly worth taking things there.  Any ideas?  p.s.:  editing to say that I did check out that thred.up site, but the $15/box fee is no good for me.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#1158 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM

New Total = 571

with books to library for sale and some trash. 

#1159 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post

Yes, but I'm hoping it doesn't encourage me to keep up old habits. But to be honest, I've learned so much from doing this challenge about what gets used eventually and what doesn't.

Yes I agree, and I am absolutely over hanging onto things anymore, even for future possible grandchildren, which may be less than ten years away but I have decided to get rid of most of the toys etc as I would rather get them something new when the time comes.

SAHM to three
#1160 of 1617 Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM

2 large bags of assorted plastic toys

2 soft toys

finger puppet

shopping bag

phone books

SAHM to three
#1161 of 1617 Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

40 more things out the door!

659/2011

Still here! Haven't itemized everything lately, but got rid of 65 more items for a new grand total of 724/2011!!

I'm trying to stick to 170/month to get to the year's goal! Hmm, seems I'm running behind. I think I can clear out another 126 items this month still.

Haven't been able to keep up on all the posts, but reading when I can! You foolks are amazing!! Thanks for the continued motivation.

#1162 of 1617 Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 AM

easter basket dd made at preschool (does that make me a mean mommy?)
2 expired pantry items
notes for a blog post that I posted last year
some old recipe clippings
piece of sea glass
misc. old receipts
broken toy
set of pastels ruined by dd
3 water bottles

#1163 of 1617 Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I am torn between trying to sell stuff on e-bay vs. getting rid of stuff through Goodwill.  Our local resale store pays so little for child's clothes that it is hardly worth taking things there.  Any ideas?  p.s.:  editing to say that I did check out that thred.up site, but the $15/box fee is no good for me.

I think that for those of us who are clutter-challenged, the idea of selling stuff is just another clutter-crazymaker.  My inner dialogue on the topic usully sounds like this:

"Ooh, here's a nice Thing that I don't use anymore.  I'll get rid of it.  But oh, wait, it really IS such a nice Thing.  Maybe I could get some value out of it if someone else out there also thinks it's a nice Thing.  I'll set it aside on this shelf/in this box/in this closet to be sold online later." 

Red flag!!!  Send in the clutter police with sirens blaring!!!  The worst thing you can possibly do when decluttering, IMO, is set stuff aside to deal with later.  Because 'later' never comes -- or it comes so far in the future that you still have years of dealing with that clutter ahead of you.  Just ask pear_shaped, who had to bring fabric on a transoceanic journey and hold onto it for 15 years before it got used.  (I loved that story, btw!)  We all have boxes of stuff like that. 

OK, so that's not to say that I don't do it anyway.  I currently have a bag full of clutter that has been waiting to get listed on Ebay for three years now.  And a shelf of books in the front closet that are waiting for some lucky Amazon shopper to scoop them up.  But for the most part, the nice Thingies go straight to the Salvation Army or St. Vincent De Paul collection.  They are likelier to do good in that context than sitting in my closet/shelf/basement box any longer.  And I can write them off on taxes and get them out of my house. 

Someone on this thread said, early in the year, that one reason she gives away even Very Nice Clutter, instead of trying to sell it, is that she is never going to get anywhere near the original value of the item by selling it.  And that the illusion of getting "value" back just encourages her to pile up more clutter.  When you have to give away nice stuff that cost money, however, because you have too much of it, then it hurts a bit.  And that bit of pain can help with curbing the buying/collecting/hoarding patterns that got us all into this mess in the first place. 

All of that being said, however, here are a few observations about when it might be a good idea to try to sell stuff.  For me, I use the following formulae:

• Ebay: I sell anything that has a designer label (people do name-brand searches) and anything obviously collectible (vintage clothes, old movie posters, etc.).  Also things that are in high demand online because you can't get them in stores very easily (brand-name cloth diapers, wraps/slings, etc.). I start all my auctions at less than $1, figuring that the real end goal is to get rid of it, not make money. 
  • Consignment/antique shops: I sell anything that has the tags still on it (consignment shops) or looks like someone else might appreciate it as an 'antique' (whether I think it's actually 'antique' or not -- I let the store judge that and set the price on it).  I take whatever price they offer, remembering, again, that my goal is to get it out, not make money on it. 
  • Amazon: I only list things that will sell for $5 or more, since Amazon's outrageous commission pricing and low shipping rates make it impossible to break even for less than that.  If it's selling for less than $5 on Amazon, it goes to Half-Price Books, where I happily accept 50 cents or so for the privilege of getting it out of the house. 
  • Other odds and ends: any trinket that looks like it might be gold or silver, no matter how junky, goes to the gold-buying people.  My last trip there earned me over $80 in junk jewelry from ex-boyfriends. Things that look really collectible or worth a lot of money  (like old coins or musical instruments or real jewelry) I sell to people who deal specifically in those things. 

Everything else goes straight to charity, except big stuff I don't want to haul anywhere, or broken stuff, which I Freecycle and let other people deal with.  (I do feel bad, sometimes, that I'm contributing to other people's clutter problem...)  And here's the hardest part: everything I want to sell, I try to get into a highly visible place where it is obnoxiously in the way, and I put a date on it.  If it isn't sold by that date, it goes to the Salvation Army or out on the lawn.  It does NOT get stored for later.  It does NOT get tucked back into the basement.  Etc.  For me, selling stuff is my biggest challenge for decluttering, and I'm trying to really limit how much I'm trying to sell, and give more of it away, instead.  I have to say, it was so freeing to give away a laptop that has been sitting in the closet for five years waiting for me to get around to wiping the hard drive and selling it online.  The irony of that, of course, is that in the intervening years, the laptop has aged beyond any resale value it might have had anyway. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#1164 of 1617 Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

Still here! Haven't itemized everything lately, but got rid of 65 more items for a new grand total of 724/2011!!

I'm trying to stick to 170/month to get to the year's goal! Hmm, seems I'm running behind. I think I can clear out another 126 items this month still.

Haven't been able to keep up on all the posts, but reading when I can! You foolks are amazing!! Thanks for the continued motivation.

Got motivated yesterday afternoon after posting...

kids clothes outgrown - 2

luggage tag

pound of coffee that was given to dh who is preferst a different kind

plastic cup

golf tee

swim suits pieces that are too big (i lost 10lbs) - 4

scrub pants

decorative broom

bb hat 2

old lotion

cleaning rags - 5

BB mitt

pen

ceramic tchotchke

wall shelf

space heater

basket

reusabel bag 2

box of tampons

hairtye

mittons

bra

shirt - 3

sweater

pillowcases 2

scrub jacket

laundry baskets 2

lunch cooler

PJ top

belt

socks - 7

New total 775/2011 

Going throught the house is getting harder & harder. I was already quite decluttered, but really wanted to use this thread to challenge me to take it to the next level. Ofcourse I can only do that with MY things. My dh has stuff issues but it is kept controlled to the garage & his office. It is so sad to see how overwhelmed he is with his things. DD is grown and moving to a new apt. I'm hoping to let go of some furniture & other items for her so that I have less to dust or collect things on! She is starting from scratch, so it is helpful. I pretty much told her to tell me what she wants. That way I don't become the Mom that dumps clutter on her kids! LOL!

My 2 ds keep most of their stuff confined to their room. Other than the few shared toys/books they have in the family room. They have to clean their rooms every saturday. One son 'gets it' and tries to keep stuff to a minimum, but the other really struggles with that.

Today is bathroom cleaning day. Yeah, I know too fun!! I will keep my out for anything else to add to the list. Only 75 more items to make my monthly goal of 170.

#1165 of 1617 Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Bathrooms are clean. Found more clutter:

1. almost empty bottle of H2O2
  2. old bottle of shampoo
  3. wipes that smell nasty
  4. glass jar
  5. glass jar
  6. travel toiletry kit we never use
  7. ikea plastic bag
  8. slip - actually found in my closet, but I have 2 only need 1
  9. torn pillow case

784/2011

#1166 of 1617 Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I am torn between trying to sell stuff on e-bay vs. getting rid of stuff through Goodwill.  Our local resale store pays so little for child's clothes that it is hardly worth taking things there.  Any ideas?  p.s.:  editing to say that I did check out that thred.up site, but the $15/box fee is no good for me.

Yep I have been torn like this for years...but as I just wrote in another thread, a week ago I listed some brand new things on ebay. I was taking advantage of the free listing if you start bidding at 99c. ...and I was very disappointed that they all sold for only 99c!

But the really good thing that has come out of that is it has COMPLETELY killed my desire to do ebay....I am just going to toss it all!!!   Space and my time are so much more valuable than the possible small amount I could make.

SAHM to three
#1167 of 1617 Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 AM

8 items of my clothing..yay!

2 bad coathangers

1232/2011

SAHM to three
#1168 of 1617 Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM

571 plus:

13 books back to taking library at school (but that was bad because I came home with 9 more- but 6 are like magazine-sized, so they take up less space).

DH cleaned out under the bed (due to the mite problem in the house) and agreed to get rid of 6 pairs of shoes. He's keeping 7. This is good, but he's never been a shoe guy. I must have 60-70 pairs of shoes, and that's down!  The shoes are going to some kind of water charity at DDs school. I told him that he beat me on shoes and challenged him to come up with work clothes for the clothing drive at my work. I'm donating:

9 suits,

1 dress

1 pair of pants

1 button down shirt

1 sweater shrug

I'm counting the suits as 1 item a piece since they take up one hanger in my closet. But some of them are 3 piece suits. Anyway, my closet has never looked better!

New total = 603

#1169 of 1617 Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 AM

1636 + 59 baby items to a friend

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#1170 of 1617 Old 05-18-2011, 11:22 AM

1. Plastic thingy
  2. shower head
  3. unused photo albums - 2
  4. stack of papers - 2
  5. books - 10
  6. picture frame
  7. tupperware lids with no bottoms - 2
  8. magazine

784+20=804/2011

I am starting to see that if I complete this challenge I will be at my goal of owning VERY minimal items. Ofcourse, my house will still be full of my children's & dh's belongings. That's okay, because it isn't their goal or desire to own the minimum - it's mine. I may actually count my things when this is done....I'll have to define how to count shared items...

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page