Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

1 expired salad dressing

20 cat figurines to donate (my mom gave me my old collection from middle school while I visited... what was I thinking?)

And, I went through a memory box and got rid of most everything. I'm doing rough estimates on the amounts.

150 mementos (I can't believe the things I saved! Every card, plane tickets, a calendar, graduation programs...)

We just found out we are moving at the end of the month so my decluttering is going to be amped up! Next up, my yarn stash. I'd like to get it down to two rubbermaid totes instead of four...

275/2011

Ok, I went through three of my yarn totes and got it down to one (a very packed one)! I'm giving myself 20 credits for that, though I'm getting rid about 50 skeins of yarn. I went through and decided quickly based on the feel of the yarn and how I felt about the color. The fourth tote won't be emptied much- it's wool and my handspun so I'm a little more attached to it! The ones I'm getting rid of were given to me and not great quality.

2 picture frames

297/2011

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#242 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Way to go, goinggreengirl!!!  I can't even think about approaching my yarn stash yet.  I have it stored in multiple cardboard boxes at Mom and Dad's house at the moment... DH would flip if he saw how much I have.  *Sigh*  Those are the hardest things for me to get rid of, fabric and yarn... I'm going to do it soon, though, I promise...!

Did pretty well today, though: DH and I have our monthly volunteer night at the soup kitchen tonight, so I packed up to donate:

2 pairs gloves

4 winter hats

1 old-but-serviceable backpack

4 bags of hotel toiletries

1 gallon bag of plastic silverware

2 bags of plastic grocery bags (folks use them for 'takeout')

Then I also tossed and/or recycled:

1 stack of magazines and catalogs

1 pile of stupid-looking address labels with the wrong name on them (why was I saving those???)

1 massage lotion bar that smells awful to me

1 metal container designed to hold the yucky lotion bar

1 half-full bottle of body lotion that I've never liked

1 bag of appliance manuals for appliances we don't even own

A good day!!! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#243 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Third year doing this and you'd think I'd have nothing left but I'm going strong! I don't subtract for things coming in -I'd never be able to keep track I can barely remember to write down the 10-15-20 items I get rid of at a time.I'm finally getting to the point of being able to have some areas cleared out it makes the in need areas more obvious. Maybe I'm just getting better at seeing what we really don't need.

328/2011

#244 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

91-97 expired refrigerator items

98 burned up candle (im on a candle kick right now)

... to be continued

NEW TOTAL 98/2011

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#245 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM

farmergirl - based on all the crap in my house, I can totally see 3 years of this in my future wink1.gif

Today, I didn;t get rid of anything, but I did organize all my DVDs into a binder by genre. We have close to 400 DVDs so that's a big deal!

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#246 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Finally, joining in after being away for vacation for the first few days of the year and then being sick for the next few! Finally starting to feel better today so I dug in on the cleaning and decluttering with a vengance! Went to Walmart to get new storage totes for the Christmas decor (want it out of the cardboard boxes it was previously stored in 1. because I found out earlier this year I have serious dust allergies and storing things in cardboard boxes are bad for that 2. because 2 of my neighbors have had their water heaters burst and flood their basement in the past year and the idea of having all that stuff getting damaged and possibly having to be thrown away because it was stored in cardboard would depress me..) also got totes for all DS's baby clothes that we've been passing to friends who needed them, but have since been returned and now need a place to be stored!

When I got home I started sorting through the baby clothes my friend returned and started picking out clothes that were stained or damaged to throw out, plus sorting by size so I can pass clothes on to my other friend who needs them... then I went through the huge tote of clothes both friends have already used and sorted out even more to throw away... grand total 124 pieces of baby clothes!! And I will probably get more baby clothes back to go through tomorrow when I drop off more clothes for my 2nd friend!

Add to that a mere 2 tubes of toothpaste and I'm up to..

126/2011

Luckily everything I bought today was on my shopping list so I don't feel like I have to penalize myself for any of it... PLUS there will be cardboard boxes going OUT (to recycling) for every tote brought in!!

#247 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM

oh... another bonus was getting us OFF of a catalog mailing list!!! Need to do a lot more of that to stop the influx..

#248 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1 expired salad dressing

20 cat figurines to donate (my mom gave me my old collection from middle school while I visited... what was I thinking?)

And, I went through a memory box and got rid of most everything. I'm doing rough estimates on the amounts.

150 mementos (I can't believe the things I saved! Every card, plane tickets, a calendar, graduation programs...)

We just found out we are moving at the end of the month so my decluttering is going to be amped up! Next up, my yarn stash. I'd like to get it down to two rubbermaid totes instead of four...

275/2011

Ok, I went through three of my yarn totes and got it down to one (a very packed one)! I'm giving myself 20 credits for that, though I'm getting rid about 50 skeins of yarn. I went through and decided quickly based on the feel of the yarn and how I felt about the color. The fourth tote won't be emptied much- it's wool and my handspun so I'm a little more attached to it! The ones I'm getting rid of were given to me and not great quality.

2 picture frames

297/2011

Okay, I think I need a decluttering gold star or something. I took three shoe boxes full of letters, cards, notes, pictures, etc. dating as far back as 1996 and got them down to less than one shoe box. It's funny to read notes that I wrote to friends in middle school but they really have no substance and I'm not even friends with the people any more! So, our recycling is overflowing... I only kept letters that have real substance and meaning for me (i.e. from my mom or dad or close family) and I kept some good photos that I'm pretty sure I don't have electronically.

Now I'm tired. I'll give myself 100 credits for those. I'm going to tackle my fabric stash tomorrow. Wish me luck!

397/2011

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#249 of 1617 Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

99-105 outdated food and moosemunch present

106-107 candles

NEW TOTAL 107/2011

More to report tomorrow Im sure

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#250 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM

9 pairs socks

11 odd socks

2 odd gloves

135/2011

SAHM to three
#251 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *farmergirl* View Post

Third year doing this and you'd think I'd have nothing left but I'm going strong!

I am glad I won't be the only one doing this for years....I started doing this in the middle of 2010 so really only been going for half a year, but with the amount of stuff we have in the garage and in cupboards, I can see myself decluttering for many years to come...it's really like peeling back layers of an onion!

SAHM to three
#252 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM

Last night I was able to part with something I'd been trying to throw away for months! Dh had a couple of very old (and very dusty) grass/reed beach mats that I thought could use somehow in a craft project, but after they'd been sitting in the storage room for a couple of years, collecting more dust, I had to admit that the craft project was probably never going to happen. I'd tried to bin them a few times since then but just I couldn't do it. But I find this thread so inspiring that I finally built up the resolve to let them go!

binned:

2 beach mats

plastic handle/grabber thing

frankendoll (broken by dd, dh fixed it but put its legs on backward)

bunch of slides

very old roll of film

plastic document sleeve

expired calling card

packing material

recycled:

2 boxes

2 more 2011 calendars (all the shops here give them to regular customers and I find it so hard to say no)

organized:

messy piles of gift bags and wrapping paper scraps into a box

234/2011

#253 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 AM

9 bottles from fridge

crochet guide

lid to a pressure cooker

5 misc. cards from wallet

5 carboard boxes

26 bubble envelopes that i've apparently been saving since 2009 <!>

24 markers/pens

emory board

super glue

coffee can that was holding markers

sm skein leftover yarn

total today: 75

grand total 152/2011

everyday adventures of a CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, natural living, fiber artist mama
#254 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:

275/2011

I can't imagine touching my yarn stash, you are one brave girl!  But then the whole thing is wool, other than maybe 4 skeins.  I'm focusing on some knitting projects, I think that is decluttering, too, especially when they are gifts!

Quote:

Third year doing this and you'd think I'd have nothing left but I'm going strong! I don't subtract for things coming in -I'd never be able to keep track I can barely remember to write down the 10-15-20 items I get rid of at a time.I'm finally getting to the point of being able to have some areas cleared out it makes the in need areas more obvious. Maybe I'm just getting better at seeing what we really don't need.

I don't either, as long as they are things we want to keep!  If I find that I've made a bad decision then I do reverse count.  Besides, I think I'm entitled to new underwear every 4th or 5th year!  And I did throw A BUNCH of holey ones away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbutts View Post

Thanks for the email clean-up support!  

Don't we all need it!!!  Otherwise, we probably wouldn't be on this thread! :)

Tree came down day before yesterday, I'm glad to have my living room back!  I was having technical issues with the vaccuum, so I didn't finish until last night, but it's done, and looks nice for the moment (until the toddler comes along and attacks it, he likes to dump all the blankets, throw pillows, and books on the floor).  I need to clean the carpet, which maybe isn't anything about decluttering, but would make me feel good.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and came home with lots of groceries, which got me motivated to clean out the stale food from the pantry.  As I'm doing this, I'm following Flylady's idea that even if you don't do the whole thing, doing some of it is better than none (she says it better than that, but you know what I mean).  I still have the cupboard/pantry above the washer to clean out, but I was happy with what I got done.

7 boxes of expired soup/gravey dumped and tetra packs recycled

10 boxes of hamburger helper (we don't eat hamburger helper?) tossed

1 box full of baggies from when I was making my own taco seasoning tossed

2 handfuls of paper, one burned one recycled (found some important bills in the process, sent one off, called on the other and they had written the charges off!  Also found 2 slips from the previous EI meetings, added them to Charlie's Life Care binder, and now know when the next meeting is!)

1 empty lanolin spray container recycled

1 ugly blanket in new shape, thrifted

1 pair of 2T too small pants into pile for my friend

1 bag of half empty snacks, tossed

1 pair of too small slippers (oDS) thrifted

1 too small shirt of oDS tucked away for yDS (out of rotation is considered decluttering when oDS has too many clothes to fit in his drawers, if it's in good shape it gets put away for the little one, if not goodwilled or binned)

219/2011

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#255 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM

Ugh. I can't imagine touching my yarn stash, either.  Though, retrospectively, I think the time I started hoarding yarn was about the time our house started feeling cluttered.

everyday adventures of a CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, natural living, fiber artist mama
#256 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM

16/2011

My dd20 moved out a week ago. Bagged up 6 items of her things to give to her when I took her grocery shopping yesterday to help her stock her fridge.

Today I set aside for her

1 laundry basket

4 measuring spoons

4 set measuring cups

Recycled::

8 jar lids - not sure why they were in the cabinet

Gave away:

5 canning jars & lids to a friends for her son's science project

New total:

44/2011

I am quite decluttered by most standards, but I still see clutter piling up if I am not on top of it regularly. Guess that means that I am not decluttered enough yet. Really hoping that 2011 things gets me there.

#257 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM

I want to join in too! Make that I need to join. We are drowning in junk/clutter and it's my own doing. My name is Stephanie and I am a pack-rat! Do we have 12 steps to do? ha ha ha

So far I have purged about 30 sweaters from my closet that even if I wanted to wear again, I really probably shouldn't. Some are as old as my DS #1. I keep thinking when I am not pg and lose weight I can wear them. Well in 2010 I lost the weight but finished the year by getting pg again. So I am sending these sweaters away.

Today we are clearing old toys so I should have a good number to report.

So as my initial count to join the group I am going with 30/2011.

Thanks!

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#258 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

I am quite decluttered by most standards, but I still see clutter piling up if I am not on top of it regularly. Guess that means that I am not decluttered enough yet. Really hoping that 2011 things gets me there.

truedat.gif  thats how I feel my freinds think Im crazy but Im sure theres an extra 2011 items in here

#259 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM

138-199. Christmas junk

#260 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

53. bag of old toys

54. old snow boots

55.computer mouse

56. broken chair

57. barstool

58. old pieces of insulation

59. pieces of broken dresser

60. broken sink faucet

now to get started in the extra bedroom/crap collector/storage room....that should be a workout :)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#261 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Woo hoo, we put Christmas away today!  And managed to go through a lot of old stuff in the meantime. 

In the donate box:

2 Easter eggs and a rubber bunny toy (why were they in the Christmas stuff??)

1 miniature wooden guitar knicknack (DH finally agreed to part with it)

1 Minnie Mouse keychain

2 candles

1 weird candle holder with elephants on it (I think DH is glad to get rid of this)

1 old Christmas stocking with a cat on it

3 pairs earrings

1 strand Christmas lights

24 Christmas ornaments

1 decorative mirror

1 old horseshoe

1 painted whistle on a leather thong

1 very old New Testament

1 embroidered dishcloth

1 wooden bookmark

1 set of Chinese dexterity balls (whatever you call those)

1 artist's poseable human figure (I never was much of an artist, turns out)

1 porcelain knicknack saying "March"

Trashed:

3 hideous fake flowers (I was keeping them simply because they were hideous)

1 bag gift boxes and icky tissue paper that I was saving

1 stack of old Christmas cards and photos of my friends' kids (these were hard to get rid of, but really - do I need to hold on to photos of my friends' kids??)

Several years' worth of blessed palms collected from around the house to return to the church (I think they burn these for Ash Wednesday.  Anybody know?) 

And, Christmas decorations were reduced by 1 box by condensing stuff into other boxes and clearing stuff out.   

So we'll call today's total 53!  Not bad, esp. with DH following me around saying "are you sure we should get rid of that???" 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#262 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been going through old papers I've had for more years than I'd like to admit. 

Group of old tax records

2 Old journal entry

Packet

31 Poems

20 Cards

Song Book

Folder

26 Old Letters

6 Old School Papers

4 Report Cards

10 Drawings

3 Certidicates

Stack of Envelopes

2 Articles

3 Pens

Old Pjs

Lid

flyer

3 old bills

gift box

head band

gift bag

old receipt

Handout

Batch of old Check stubs

2 Pictures

Owner's Manual

2 Boxes

129/2011

#263 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Oh I SO need to do this.

1. Broken ornament

2. Baby Bjorn

3. Baby Bjorn winter cover

4. Magazines

5. Miscellaneous piles of crap x 5

9/2011

#264 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Ok, here we go! 4 items today - that's a start!

1-2) 2 broken CDs

3) A pile of old crayons (mostly orange)

4) A stamp without ink

5) A plastic spoon

6) A chipped drinking glass

7) A bunch of old balloons

8) A bunch of plastic bags

9) A broken ice heart shape

10) A worn-out towel

11-12) Two worn-out pairs of woollen socks

13) A pen

14-17) A box of miscallaneous junk

18) A leaking, smelly therm flask

19) A stiff paintbrush

20) A worn-out pair of woollen tights

21) A cracked oven pot

22) A jumper with a hole in it

23) A pair of tights with lots of holes

24) A broken pair of swimming goggles

25) A pair of socks with holes

26-27) Two wheels that don't have a vehicle anymore

28) Another pen

29) A horrible old hairbrush

30) An old cloth

31) A plastic egg

32) Another plastic spoon (broken)

33) Another broken ice heart shape

34) Another woollen sock with holes

35-37) Donated 3 comic books

38-42) Threw away some broken objects

43-52) Tidied up DH's shelf and threw away 10 items

53-55) Broken kids' ornaments

56) Old horrible sofa

57-67) Electronics and batteries

68-69) Pens

70-76) Flannels (= rags)

77) An old sofa cover without a sofa

78) A broken homemade clay cat

79) Sold an old magazine

80) Sold a book

81-82) Donated two ancient medicine bottles to a museum

83-85) Threw away some of DH's old rags

86) A broken toy truck

#265 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 04:51 PM

...it's really like peeling back layers of an onion!

It so is! I was just thinking this today & how my approach to what to get rid of changes too. Like first I was just -look around and grab whatever is just really obvious like broken things I thought I might fix or knick knacks I don't even like. Then it was like Ok things are falling out of the cabinet let fix this  etc. Lately I've been focusing on just making my life easier. I'm so tired of..... washing three sink loads of dishes cause we just keep using clean dishes till there aren't any left. Now we have a dish and bowl etc for everyone living here plus 2-3 extra for guests.....picking up a room full of toys.....doing a ton of laundry etc. I expect before too long the nesting urge will strike and this house will have a lot more space even though stuff for another person will be coming in. 

#266 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post

truedat.gif  thats how I feel my freinds think Im crazy but Im sure theres an extra 2011 items in here

same here!

I've gotten rid of about 5000 things in the past 2 and a half years. I started doing a 500 item goal and thought I'd never make it. Then I did way too easily. I still have too much stuff (plus a small house) my MIL doesn't know I declutter like crazy and keeps giving me the helpful suggestion that "she'd just get rid of a couple items everyday even if its junk mail". Um yeah thanks- how about you take home those bags full of junk you just brought in before you get upset that I've gotten rid of it. 

#267 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM

oh yeah and 432/2011

#268 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM

3 outgrown kid's clothes items

Our big 24" TV finally sold on craigslist and is picked up!  1 step closer to TV free I hope, or at least less TV :)

1 empty box - I got rid of a bunch of Christmas stuff as I put the decorations up in Nov.  and so when I went to put it all away, there was 1 box left over.  I am very happy about this.

1 stack of Christmas cards from this year- my daughter and I had fun cutting them up and making a few tags for gifts next year.

Does the 2010 calendar count?  I almost feel like things I am going to replace with another item shouldn't count!

69/2011

Overall though.. I think an equal number of items has come into the house, I don't feel like that much space is getting cleared up.  Still really need to work on reducing that.

#269 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

...it's really like peeling back layers of an onion!

It so is! I was just thinking this today & how my approach to what to get rid of changes too. Like first I was just -look around and grab whatever is just really obvious like broken things I thought I might fix or knick knacks I don't even like. Then it was like Ok things are falling out of the cabinet let fix this  etc. Lately I've been focusing on just making my life easier. I'm so tired of..... washing three sink loads of dishes cause we just keep using clean dishes till there aren't any left. Now we have a dish and bowl etc for everyone living here plus 2-3 extra for guests.....picking up a room full of toys.....doing a ton of laundry etc. I expect before too long the nesting urge will strike and this house will have a lot more space even though stuff for another person will be coming in. 

Your dishes point is something we've been thinking about for awhile now.  I don't know how many dishes we should keep.  How many do you think you will end up keeping? 1 item of each per family member?

#270 of 1617 Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM

83 stack O bills old bills

84 -86 wash cloths

87 face scrub

88 ugly swim cover

89 sheets

90 pacifier

I hope to get to 100 tonight you know start the new year off in a big leap ! lets see !

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page